CDROM Media Format Proposal

Post by Yik Ming Wo » Tue, 30 May 1995 04:00:00

With the newer and more dense CDROM densities, i.e. 7GB/disc capacities,
we should be able to abandon the constant linear velocity with which the
current CDROM drives use.  I suggest that manufacturers make the CDROM
media format more like that of hard drives--tracks and sectors with zone
bit recording.  Sure this will decrease the 7GB capacities, but the drive
will be a lot faster at seek, because the drive no longer needs to speed
up/down the disc.  I personally think more speed is needed than more
density.  BTW, why would people need 7GB on one disc for anyway?  I know
movies can make use of that much capacity...but then again, who would
want to want to waste power on hours on one's $1500-$3000 21" monitor?
Even most multimedia games wouldn't need 7GB...oh well, I suppose w/ 7GB
they will include CD quality sound and a lot of high quality graphics.
Comments?