Recommended CD-RW Backup Software for W2K?

Recommended CD-RW Backup Software for W2K?

Post by Kovi » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 09:08:05

I need to replace my older version of Veritas' Backup Exec with a similar
backup application that writes to CD-R and CD-RW, supports data compression,
allows spanning discs, and works well under W2K (which my older version
won't). I was pretty content with it, although it was kind of clunky and
occasionally buggy. The best price I've found for the latest version (4.5)
is just under $50, which seems reasonable. But is there anything better or
comparable out there, with similar features and for around the same price?
And is the current version of BE reliable under W2K?

Also, do any of these apps allow backing up peer-to-peer network drives, and
if not is there a way to "trick" W2K or the app into thinking network drives
are local?

Thanks,

Kovie

Recommended CD-RW Backup Software for W2K?

Post by J. Clark » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 15:03:37

Quote:> I need to replace my older version of Veritas' Backup Exec with a similar
> backup application that writes to CD-R and CD-RW, supports data compression,
> allows spanning discs, and works well under W2K (which my older version
> won't). I was pretty content with it, although it was kind of clunky and
> occasionally buggy. The best price I've found for the latest version (4.5)
> is just under $50, which seems reasonable. But is there anything better or
> comparable out there, with similar features and for around the same price?
> And is the current version of BE reliable under W2K?

> Also, do any of these apps allow backing up peer-to-peer network drives, and
> if not is there a way to "trick" W2K or the app into thinking network drives
> are local?

Backup Exec Desktop Pro does everything you ask.  There are other
products that are decent, but none that is clearly and unequivocally
better.

Quote:

> Thanks,

> Kovie

--John
(used to be jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Recommended CD-RW Backup Software for W2K?

Post by TSG » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 03:02:36

Nero 5.5.  www.ahead.de.  Download a fully-functioning demo, try it, be
happy, buy license online, and plug into the demo.  It then becomes a
non-expiring version.

Adaptec (Roxio) Easy CD Creator at version 5 STILL hasn't got Win2K right
and while it has a nicer interface, it's too problematic.

For a whole lot of reasons, I recommend against using ANY sort of
packet-writing software, no matter who it's from.

TSG

Quote:> I need to replace my older version of Veritas' Backup Exec with a similar
> backup application that writes to CD-R and CD-RW, supports data
compression,
> allows spanning discs, and works well under W2K (which my older version
> won't). I was pretty content with it, although it was kind of clunky and
> occasionally buggy. The best price I've found for the latest version (4.5)
> is just under $50, which seems reasonable. But is there anything better or
> comparable out there, with similar features and for around the same price?
> And is the current version of BE reliable under W2K?

> Also, do any of these apps allow backing up peer-to-peer network drives,
and
> if not is there a way to "trick" W2K or the app into thinking network
drives
> are local?

> Thanks,

> Kovie

Recommended CD-RW Backup Software for W2K?

Post by Ed Ligh » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 03:24:11

Quote:> occasionally buggy. The best price I've found for the latest version (4.5)
> is just under $50

It's a $30 upgrade download at the Veritas website.

--
Ed Light
Remove .nospam to reply

Recommended CD-RW Backup Software for W2K?

Post by Kovi » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:16:26

Thanks. I'm going to place an order for it today. At $46 it seems worth the
price.

Btw, do you know if there's any way to use it to backup network drives, on a
2 PC home peer-to-peer W2K network? I realize that Veritas states that you
need the Pro version to do this, but I was wondering if there's any way to
attach a network drive so that it appears to be a local drive to BE,
allowing it to back it up like physically local drives? Or is it smart
enough to detect any such attempts at "fooling" it into thinking that
network drives are local ones? The Pro version can be had for $30 more, but
I'd just as soon save the difference if this is possible.

--
Kovie

Quote:

> Backup Exec Desktop Pro does everything you ask.  There are other
> products that are decent, but none that is clearly and unequivocally
> better.
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (used to be jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Recommended CD-RW Backup Software for W2K?

Post by Kovi » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:44:58

I appreciate your suggestions, but as my original post clearly indicates, I
was looking for something that will allow data compression and disc spanning
(as well as automated backups, which I forgot to mention). None of the apps
you mentioned support these features, as far as I can tell. They're really
meant for different sorts of backup purposes, such as file-level archiving
and mass duplication. From time to time I manually archive certain kinds of
data on my system to CD-R or CD-RW, such as scanned photos and downloaded
program updates, for which these apps are ideal. But for nightly backups,
they're not the best solution at all.
--
Kovie

> Nero 5.5.  www.ahead.de.  Download a fully-functioning demo, try it, be
> happy, buy license online, and plug into the demo.  It then becomes a
> non-expiring version.

> Adaptec (Roxio) Easy CD Creator at version 5 STILL hasn't got Win2K right
> and while it has a nicer interface, it's too problematic.

> For a whole lot of reasons, I recommend against using ANY sort of
> packet-writing software, no matter who it's from.

> TSG

> > I need to replace my older version of Veritas' Backup Exec with a
similar
> > backup application that writes to CD-R and CD-RW, supports data
> compression,
> > allows spanning discs, and works well under W2K (which my older version
> > won't). I was pretty content with it, although it was kind of clunky and
> > occasionally buggy. The best price I've found for the latest version
(4.5)
> > is just under $50, which seems reasonable. But is there anything better
or
> > comparable out there, with similar features and for around the same
price?
> > And is the current version of BE reliable under W2K?

> > Also, do any of these apps allow backing up peer-to-peer network drives,
> and
> > if not is there a way to "trick" W2K or the app into thinking network
> drives
> > are local?

> > Thanks,

> > Kovie

Recommended CD-RW Backup Software for W2K?

Post by Graham Mayo » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 20:29:36

How do you propose to do automated backups with disc spanning?

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

> I appreciate your suggestions, but as my original post clearly indicates,
> was looking for something that will allow data compression and disc
spanning
> (as well as automated backups, which I forgot to mention). None of the
apps
> you mentioned support these features, as far as I can tell. They're really
> meant for different sorts of backup purposes, such as file-level archiving
> and mass duplication. From time to time I manually archive certain kinds
of
> data on my system to CD-R or CD-RW, such as scanned photos and downloaded
> program updates, for which these apps are ideal. But for nightly backups,
> they're not the best solution at all.
> --
> Kovie

> > Nero 5.5.  www.ahead.de.  Download a fully-functioning demo, try it, be
> > happy, buy license online, and plug into the demo.  It then becomes a
> > non-expiring version.

> > Adaptec (Roxio) Easy CD Creator at version 5 STILL hasn't got Win2K
right
> > and while it has a nicer interface, it's too problematic.

> > For a whole lot of reasons, I recommend against using ANY sort of
> > packet-writing software, no matter who it's from.

> > TSG

> > > I need to replace my older version of Veritas' Backup Exec with a
> similar
> > > backup application that writes to CD-R and CD-RW, supports data
> > compression,
> > > allows spanning discs, and works well under W2K (which my older
version
> > > won't). I was pretty content with it, although it was kind of clunky
and
> > > occasionally buggy. The best price I've found for the latest version
> (4.5)
> > > is just under $50, which seems reasonable. But is there anything
better
> or
> > > comparable out there, with similar features and for around the same
> price?
> > > And is the current version of BE reliable under W2K?

> > > Also, do any of these apps allow backing up peer-to-peer network
drives,
> > and
> > > if not is there a way to "trick" W2K or the app into thinking network
> > drives
> > > are local?

> > > Thanks,

> > > Kovie

Recommended CD-RW Backup Software for W2K?

Post by Kovi » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 06:33:33

Obviously, not for full backups, but rather for nightly incrementals. Of
course, this means that every so often I'll wake up to the sight of an
ejected disc tray, but I can live with that.

A number of people have recommended buying a cheap 2nd (or 3rd in my case)
drive and using that as a backup target. Considering that 30GB 5400RPM
drives can be had for less than the cost of Backup Exec Pro, this is a
tempting idea. However, when I eventually start playing around with video
editing, I'm going to need yet another solution to archive and backup
digital copies of videos. DVD-R/RW to the rescue?

--
Kovie

> How do you propose to do automated backups with disc spanning?

> --

> > I appreciate your suggestions, but as my original post clearly
indicates,
> > was looking for something that will allow data compression and disc
> spanning
> > (as well as automated backups, which I forgot to mention). None of the
> apps
> > you mentioned support these features, as far as I can tell. They're
really
> > meant for different sorts of backup purposes, such as file-level
archiving
> > and mass duplication. From time to time I manually archive certain kinds
> of
> > data on my system to CD-R or CD-RW, such as scanned photos and
downloaded
> > program updates, for which these apps are ideal. But for nightly
backups,
> > they're not the best solution at all.
> > --
> > Kovie

Recommended CD-RW Backup Software for W2K?

Post by Graham Mayo » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 16:41:32

I am with those who recommend the use of a supplementary hard drive, in a
removable carrier (about 10 here in the UK for the carrier). In fact if
your case will accommodate it, I would fit all the hard drives in removable
carriers. It adds hugely to the flexibility of the system. Drives are so
cheap, you can have separate drives for different operating systems etc and
plug them in as required, thus you can use much smaller drives (and thus
even cheaper) than would be the case if you wanted to do everything on one
drive.

Windows backup is a subset of Backup Exec, and works fine writing to a file.
It backs the whole of my main C drive to a file in around 20 minutes, and my
current data files in 5.

My personal opinion - and that is all it is, an opinion - is that CDR is
useless for system backups.

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

> Obviously, not for full backups, but rather for nightly incrementals. Of
> course, this means that every so often I'll wake up to the sight of an
> ejected disc tray, but I can live with that.

> A number of people have recommended buying a cheap 2nd (or 3rd in my case)
> drive and using that as a backup target. Considering that 30GB 5400RPM
> drives can be had for less than the cost of Backup Exec Pro, this is a
> tempting idea. However, when I eventually start playing around with video
> editing, I'm going to need yet another solution to archive and backup
> digital copies of videos. DVD-R/RW to the rescue?

> --
> Kovie

> > How do you propose to do automated backups with disc spanning?

> > --

> > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

> > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

> > > I appreciate your suggestions, but as my original post clearly
> indicates,
> > > was looking for something that will allow data compression and disc
> > spanning
> > > (as well as automated backups, which I forgot to mention). None of the
> > apps
> > > you mentioned support these features, as far as I can tell. They're
> really
> > > meant for different sorts of backup purposes, such as file-level
> archiving
> > > and mass duplication. From time to time I manually archive certain
kinds
> > of
> > > data on my system to CD-R or CD-RW, such as scanned photos and
> downloaded
> > > program updates, for which these apps are ideal. But for nightly
> backups,
> > > they're not the best solution at all.
> > > --
> > > Kovie

Recommended CD-RW Backup Software for W2K?

Post by TSG » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 23:27:16

Yeah, I thought of that too :)

Set the alarm to go off every 7 minutes ?

TSG

> How do you propose to do automated backups with disc spanning?

> --

> > I appreciate your suggestions, but as my original post clearly
indicates,
> > was looking for something that will allow data compression and disc
> spanning
> > (as well as automated backups, which I forgot to mention). None of the
> apps
> > you mentioned support these features, as far as I can tell. They're
really
> > meant for different sorts of backup purposes, such as file-level
archiving
> > and mass duplication. From time to time I manually archive certain kinds
> of
> > data on my system to CD-R or CD-RW, such as scanned photos and
downloaded
> > program updates, for which these apps are ideal. But for nightly
backups,
> > they're not the best solution at all.
> > --
> > Kovie

> > > Nero 5.5.  www.ahead.de.  Download a fully-functioning demo, try it,
be
> > > happy, buy license online, and plug into the demo.  It then becomes a
> > > non-expiring version.

> > > Adaptec (Roxio) Easy CD Creator at version 5 STILL hasn't got Win2K
> right
> > > and while it has a nicer interface, it's too problematic.

> > > For a whole lot of reasons, I recommend against using ANY sort of
> > > packet-writing software, no matter who it's from.

> > > TSG

> > similar
> > > compression,
> version
> and
> > (4.5)
> better
> > or
> > price?

> drives,
> > > and
> > > drives

Recommended CD-RW Backup Software for W2K?

Post by David Chie » Sun, 24 Jun 2001 03:55:03

Ghost works too, as will NTI Backup.

Ghost is nice in that you can shoot the image files over the network to another
PC over a Laplink/DCC compatible parallel cable or the network card, all while
splitting them up into CD-R sized files if desired.

Recommended CD-RW Backup Software for W2K?

Post by Graham Mayo » Sun, 24 Jun 2001 16:26:56

Yes, Ghost is brilliant - and works with my suggested option of a removable
hard drive. As Ghost works from DOS, and is small enough to fit on a
bootable floppy, it is one of the easiest ways of restoring the data when
the wheel comes off and you cannot even start Windows.

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

Quote:> Ghost works too, as will NTI Backup.

Post by George Jefferso » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 00:37:47

:Yes, Ghost is brilliant - and works with my suggested option of a removable

very good. Now is there some software that will let me say hey i did
a ghost backup yesterday or last week and copy all the changed
files to a cd?

Recommended CD-RW Backup Software for W2K?

Post by Cleve Waterma » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 02:34:39

says...
Quote:> Yes, Ghost is brilliant - and works with my suggested option of a removable
> hard drive. As Ghost works from DOS, and is small enough to fit on a
> bootable floppy, it is one of the easiest ways of restoring the data when
> the wheel comes off and you cannot even start Windows.

Is there any advantage of Ghost over Drive Image?
Thanks
Cleve Waterman

Recommended CD-RW Backup Software for W2K?

Post by HlpDs » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 04:44:50

I haven't seen where Drive Image will let you operate in USB mode. The
latest Ghost 2001 will allow LPT, USB, TCP/IP, CD-ROM etc......I think it is
more flexible in that regard than Drive Image.

says...
Quote:> Yes, Ghost is brilliant - and works with my suggested option of a
removable
> hard drive. As Ghost works from DOS, and is small enough to fit on a
> bootable floppy, it is one of the easiest ways of restoring the data when
> the wheel comes off and you cannot even start Windows.

Is there any advantage of Ghost over Drive Image?
Thanks
Cleve Waterman

---

1. CD-RW Backup Software (PLEASE HELP-CANT FIND SOFTWARE!)

# Does anyone know where I can get any free or inexpensive CD-RW backup
software?

I just bought a new CDRW drive that read in large letters on the box "GREAT
FOR BACKUPS'

                        BUT!

It didn't include software for automated backups and every piece of backup
software that I've seen that supports CD-RW has cost a minimum of $50.  I
paid $100 for the damn drive!

2. Linking PDF's to HTML pages

3. Backup software for a CD-RW drive.

4. (un)WWPack problem

5. CD-RW Backup software

6. Looking for sources for PC/AT TRAMS, boards and dev. software

7. Backup Software for CD-RW

8. lan cable

9. BACKUP SOFTWARE for CD-RW drives for W95

10. Backup Software for CD-RW's - availability?

11. BACKUP SOFTWARE for CD-RW drives for W95

12. BACKUP SOFTWARE for CD-RW drives for W95 - YAMAHA 4260t

13. software for cd-rw backup