In the HP 4020i really a 4X/2X -= I DON"T THINK SO!!! =-

In the HP 4020i really a 4X/2X -= I DON"T THINK SO!!! =-

Post by Duane Allr » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Item Subject: -= HP Reads at under 2X =-
>     Your 4020i CD-Writer is capable of reading CD's at 4X speed.  However,
>     you should be aware that this speed is dependent on the software
>     application that is using the CD and the computer system it's self.
>     Software to increase the read performance for an even wider range of
>     applications and computers should be available in December.

>   Your best option to get the latest information is to keep an eye on
>  our web site at

> http://www.corp.hp.com/Publish/isg/cdr/index.html

Well.....  It's been over 7 weeks and the 4020i still reads 259K a second from
DOS from the CD to the very fast hard drive 1.6G WD.  I still can't imagine
how the driver issue will resolve this one.  Drivers were `supposed' to be
available DEC 1, then DEC 7.  What's next HP!!!!!!

I'm beginning to feel `ripped off~'  I can't get ANY reply from support other
than this above message.

My next attempt will be to lunch the ADVANSYS card, and buy an adaptec card
Friday afternoon.  I've tried the HP 4020i setup in 4 other computers and have
played with every DMA/DISCONNECT and other options available.  One machine was
actually an HP 90mhz Pentium in our lab!  HA!  But at least the reading went
up to 267K/SEC.  A 8K/SEC improvement!!!

As a final thorn in the coffin, and to let you all know how childish I can
be... :-)  I work for a major utility provider in San Diego, and a system
administrator just yesterday asked me for advice about a CDR solution for the
lab. Since I was the only person who had about $1,200 to buy one, I must have
experience with them....

Even if I hadn't savagely stabbed HP in the back with my comments, I believe
old Joe would still have opted for the Sony because of Caddy!  It felt good
complaining though....

HP.  I wish you luck, because if the new Adaptec card I'm buying tomorrow
doesn't resolve this issue, and the vaporware drivers don't show up in the
next couple of days as promised, I'm going to do anything in my power to get a
refund for this device.  A device that has never performed as promised.  I
have about 5 E-MAILS from other competent people who have the same under 2X
problem..

If the Adaptec or new drivers make this a 4X, I'll apologize to all 1-million
of you... ;-)

Hey...  At least I like my HP TRAVAN TAPE BACKUP....  And my HP Digital
Analyzer....  And my HP 41C.....

Post by Paul Rub » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Well.....  It's been over 7 weeks and the 4020i still reads 259K a
>second from DOS from the CD to the very fast hard drive 1.6G WD.  I
>still can't imagine how the driver issue will resolve this one.
>Drivers were `supposed' to be available DEC 1, then DEC 7.  What's
>next HP!!!!!!

Mine works fine at 600k/sec under Linux.  Maybe you should
flush that DOS stuff.

Post by Vo, Charles » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>Item Subject: -= HP Reads at under 2X =-
>>     Your 4020i CD-Writer is capable of reading CD's at 4X speed.  However,
>>     you should be aware that this speed is dependent on the software
>>     application that is using the CD and the computer system it's self.
>>     Software to increase the read performance for an even wider range of
>>     applications and computers should be available in December.

>>   Your best option to get the latest information is to keep an eye on
>>  our web site at

>> http://www.corp.hp.com/Publish/isg/cdr/index.html

>Well.....  It's been over 7 weeks and the 4020i still reads 259K a second from
>DOS from the CD to the very fast hard drive 1.6G WD.  I still can't imagine
>how the driver issue will resolve this one.  Drivers were `supposed' to be
>available DEC 1, then DEC 7.  What's next HP!!!!!!

>I'm beginning to feel `ripped off~'  I can't get ANY reply from support other
>than this above message.

>My next attempt will be to lunch the ADVANSYS card, and buy an adaptec card
>Friday afternoon.  I've tried the HP 4020i setup in 4 other computers and have
>played with every DMA/DISCONNECT and other options available.  One machine was
>actually an HP 90mhz Pentium in our lab!  HA!  But at least the reading went
>up to 267K/SEC.  A 8K/SEC improvement!!!

>As a final thorn in the coffin, and to let you all know how childish I can
>be... :-)  I work for a major utility provider in San Diego, and a system
>administrator just yesterday asked me for advice about a CDR solution for the
>lab. Since I was the only person who had about $1,200 to buy one, I must have
>experience with them....

>Even if I hadn't savagely stabbed HP in the back with my comments, I believe
>old Joe would still have opted for the Sony because of Caddy!  It felt good
>complaining though....

>HP.  I wish you luck, because if the new Adaptec card I'm buying tomorrow
>doesn't resolve this issue, and the vaporware drivers don't show up in the
>next couple of days as promised, I'm going to do anything in my power to get a
>refund for this device.  A device that has never performed as promised.  I
>have about 5 E-MAILS from other competent people who have the same under 2X
>problem..

>If the Adaptec or new drivers make this a 4X, I'll apologize to all 1-million
>of you... ;-)

>Hey...  At least I like my HP TRAVAN TAPE BACKUP....  And my HP Digital
>Analyzer....  And my HP 41C.....

i know that the hp4020i is a bad reader, but it is a dependable recorder.
it can't read mode 2 raw files so i bought a $70 creative labs cdrom to read
the mode 2 files.

In the HP 4020i really a 4X/2X -= I DON"T THINK SO!!! =-

Post by Matthew Cut » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>available DEC 1, then DEC 7.  What's next HP!!!!!!

I don't know.  Considering how late some things in the computer industry are,
6 days doesn't seem so bad.  Of course, I'm not waiting myself, so it doesn't
seem so bad.

Quote:>HP.  I wish you luck, because if the new Adaptec card I'm buying tomorrow
>doesn't resolve this issue, and the vaporware drivers don't show up in the

What exactly is your setup?  Win, DOS, Win95, Linux?  What level is your
system, etc.?

Quote:>Hey...  At least I like my HP TRAVAN TAPE BACKUP....  And my HP Digital
>Analyzer....  And my HP 41C.....

Yeah, I like my Colorado backup, and my HP48SX.  Hate those dang Vectras
though.

Matt
--
When the going gets tough, the tough get empirical.

In the HP 4020i really a 4X/2X -= I DON"T THINK SO!!! =-

Post by Tim Kre » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>>     Your 4020i CD-Writer is capable of reading CD's at 4X speed.  However,
>Well.....  It's been over 7 weeks and the 4020i still reads 259K a second from

I'm happy with my 4020. After reading messages about read speed, the
AdvanStar SCSI card, etc. I still decided to go with the HP. I'm
running it under NT on an Adaptec 2940 and it works great. I don't
know what the read speed is though.

In the HP 4020i really a 4X/2X -= I DON"T THINK SO!!! =-

Post by Ken Sherma » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I am considering buying the HP 4020i for use with NT and and Adaptec 2940
controller. Since you have this exact setup, I was wondering what software
you were using to create CDs. Corel CD creator v 2.0, the 32 bit version,
supports this configuration, according to Corel tech support, but the
software isn't available yet. Thanks for any info or opinions.

--

done"
Ken Sherman, *com Systems Inc, Gaithersburg, MD

In the HP 4020i really a 4X/2X -= I DON"T THINK SO!!! =-

Post by Ken Sherma » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I am considering buying the HP 4020i for use with NT and and Adaptec 2940
controller. Since you have this exact setup, I was wondering what software
you were using to create CDs. Corel CD creator v 2.0, the 32 bit version,
supports this configuration, according to Corel tech support, but the
software isn't available yet. Thanks for any info or opinions.

--

done"
Ken Sherman, *com Systems Inc, Gaithersburg, MD
Tel: (301) 279-2015 Fax: (301) 424-5350

1. HP 4020I "yea" or "nea"

I can get a brand new hp 4020i for a great price.  Is this CDR recorder
any good.  Can you use other burning software with it?  Any horror
story's?  Any Praise?  I want to roll my own audio cd's as well as
backup some of my more important games (sony,sega,PC)...

thanks,

-Evan

2. Utility to see objects hidden behind open windows?

3. HP 4020i with "other" SCSI card - CD-R works, but need help!

4. Utilisation PSION avec tel. cellulaire (GSM)?

5. Dr. T's for the PC?

6. "WinASPI not loaded" with HP 4020i - Any ideas?

7. installed w2k - what happened to my ap programs

8. HP CDR 4020i..."Glad I got it!"

9. hp 4020i " Write append error"

10. HP 4020i CDR 500 MByte Bug: Say "171-00-50-00"

11. HP 4020i "device not ready error"