Sony33A and SB MultiCD?

Post by George Henry Addo » Wed, 20 Jul 1994 04:00:48

I have the Sony33A CD-ROM and the SB multi cd card. I am having
problems getting the cd-rom to work. Everything is connected
correctly but I am having problems with configuring the drivers.
The SB software seems to come with some drivers but I thought I
needed to use the Sony CD-ROM drivers.  If anyone can tell me
how to set up the correct autoexec and config files it would be
appreciated.

Sony33A and SB MultiCD?

Post by A L Wou » Wed, 20 Jul 1994 13:30:56

: I have the Sony33A CD-ROM and the SB multi cd card. I am having
: problems getting the cd-rom to work. Everything is connected
: correctly but I am having problems with configuring the drivers.
: The SB software seems to come with some drivers but I thought I
: needed to use the Sony CD-ROM drivers.  If anyone can tell me
: how to set up the correct autoexec and config files it would be
: appreciated.

You should have received a Sony installation diskette which contains a
setup routine.  The routine creates a \DEV directory on your boot drive
and places the Sony driver, SLCD.SYS, and Microsoft's CD-ROM extensions,
MSCDEX.EXE in it.  The setup routine will also create modified
autoexec.bat and config.sys files for you by adding the lines,
\DEV\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 to the former and DEVICE=\DEV\SLCD.SYS
/D:MSCD001 /B:340 /M:P /K /C to the latter.  The switch settings selected
by the setup routine may not be correct; you can check them by using the
SoundBlaster User's Guide.

Sony33A and SB MultiCD?

Post by Adrian Hu » Thu, 21 Jul 1994 02:17:05

>: I have the Sony33A CD-ROM and the SB multi cd card. I am having
>: problems getting the cd-rom to work. Everything is connected
>: correctly but I am having problems with configuring the drivers.

>You should have received a Sony installation diskette which contains a
>setup routine.
>MSCDEX.EXE in it.  The setup routine will also create modified
>autoexec.bat and config.sys files for you by adding the lines,
>\DEV\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 to the former and DEVICE=\DEV\SLCD.SYS
>/D:MSCD001 /B:340 /M:P /K /C to the latter.  The switch settings selected
>by the setup routine may not be correct...

In particular, watch the /B: part.  That's the base I/O address, and it's
probably wrong.  It is certainly wrong for my sound card, which is a
Sound Galaxy 16 Pro Extra.  When I allowed the setup program to have its
own way, it used a default of 300 (there's something in the READ.ME file
about older versions using a default of 340).  I waded into the technical
bits of the sound card's manual, and came out with an address of 634, and
when I altered the config.sys file to read /B:634 it worked fine.

The sound card also came with a driver.  It's an old one, intended for
use with the CDU-31; it drives the CDU-33, but only at single speed.
However, it also uses significantly less memory than the Sony driver.
I've arranged my config.sys file to allow me to choose which of the two
drivers to use.  If you don't have MS-DOS 6, it may be worth having
several config files; one using the Sony driver, one using the sound
card's driver, and one with no driver at all.  Copy the desired file
to config.sys and reboot the computer.

--
 "Keyboard?  How quaint!" - M. Scott

Sony33A and SB MultiCD?

Post by Howard Wils » Fri, 22 Jul 1994 19:48:43

: I have the Sony33A CD-ROM and the SB multi cd card. I am having
: problems getting the cd-rom to work. Everything is connected
: correctly but I am having problems with configuring the drivers.
: The SB software seems to come with some drivers but I thought I
: needed to use the Sony CD-ROM drivers.  If anyone can tell me
: how to set up the correct autoexec and config files it would be
: appreciated.

More info.  Lots more info.  I have this exact setup, and it works.  I can
help, but I need a HELL of a lot more info.

Is the jumper set up properly on the SB?  Must be set to sony.  It does NOT
come that way, so if you never changed the jumpers, problem solved.

What memory addresses are you using?  When it comes to that, ignore the
CDROM manual.  You are not using the card that came with it, so nothing
there will apply.  Use whatever the SB manual tells you.

Howard Wilson II

--
Stile, Howard Wilson II, and any other names I might use can be reached at:

I speak for no one but myself, |  to love another person is to see the face
and no one else speaks for me. |  of God."  - Les Miserables          fnord