Sony CDU77E problems

Post by Peter Herweij » Wed, 22 Nov 1995 04:00:00

[Stuart, something's wrong at your site---mail bounces with this somewhat
 obscure error message:

 421 dlr.de (TCP)... Deferred: Not a typewriter

 >I've connected the sony CDU77E drive to a UM8810P-AIO motherboard via
 >the on-board PCI IDE controller (CMD PCI0640B). The cd is set to
 >slave HD to master. The CD is recognized and installed on boot up

So far, so good.

 >When I set drive D: (CD) I have no problem. I then do a dir and have
 >various results. Either it lists the files as expected OR it takes
 >ages and ages and then lists the files OR it repoorts a read error on
 >the CD ROM drive.

It may be a problem with the CD itself. Another possibility is the use
by the interface of a faster timing than the CD-ROM is capable of.
Most or all modern CD-ROMs can handle PIO mode 3 as this is mandatory in
the latest ATAPI revision. Mode 3 should be enough in your case, but I
don't know the specs for your CD-ROM.

If you have the possibility of slowing down the interface, try that.
Connecting the CD-ROM to the secondary cable would be a good idea as
well.

 >Has any one come across similar problems? Is the CDU77E IDE
 >compatible or do I have to put it over an E-IDE controller or
 >is it the on-board controller that is not compatible.

ATAPI devices are designed to be compatible with ordinary IDE (ATA)
controllers. There are no EIDE CD-ROMs in the sense that they need
an EIDE controller to work properly.

 >Could it be I need to set jumpers on the HD. I think it is a western
 >digital (Its not my machine so I'm not sure), and it's 405M large. Do
 >Ineed to set block mode for accessing a CD?

Enabling or disabling block mode has no impact on CD operation at all.
It does nothing for the CD.

 >Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank anyone in advance
 >for taking there time to help.

I'm sorry I can't offer a direct solution...

Success,

 - Peter

Sony CDU77E problems

Post by Diab » Mon, 11 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> >I've connected the sony CDU77E drive to a UM8810P-AIO motherboard via
> >the on-board PCI IDE controller (CMD PCI0640B). The cd is set to
> >slave HD to master. The CD is recognized and installed on boot up
> >various results. Either it lists the files as expected OR it takes
> >ages and ages and then lists the files OR it repoorts a read error on
> >the CD ROM drive.

I would just like to say I have the *exact* same problem with my 77e that
I just picked up at a show a couple months back.  It happens on any CD I
try, and is very frustrating...  from what I can tell, it works for the
first 10-15 minutes after boot, then fizzles exactly like you said.
I'm calling Sony tommorow.

for the record I have a 486 w/vesa e-ide compatable controller and
(sure enough) a Western Digital hd as well (actually, two, one gig, and
an old 120- anyway the controller supports primary and secondary ides
so its set up right (as far as i can tell))

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated...

Thanks
- Mike

1. sony cdu77e problems in win95

Some vital information is missing.  What devices do you have connected to your
on-board IDE?  What IDE channel is your soundcard configured as?

"Knowledge is Good."

2. index and list of symbols in AmSTeX?

3. Problems with Sony CDU77E

4. Can I publish SELECTIVELY to FP Web Site

5. Problems with Sony CDU77E and CD-Recordables

6. Errors trying to write with Nero 3.0.7.1 and Sony CDU948S

7. Problems with a Sony CDU77E ... please help!

8. Octane 2 Special - Limited Stock

9. driver needed - sony CDU77E

10. Sony CDROM cdu77e

11. Sony CDU77E Device Driver Needed