Yamaha CDR rejecting CD?

Post by Elvis Che » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

greeting to all,

I am on my -2nd- Yamaha 2x writer.  The problem of both drives is that,
after a period of usage (about 4 months) the CDR simply reject -ALL- CDs,
no matter if they are CD-blank, original silver-pressed CD, or burnt-cd.
I exchanged my 1st CDR with Yahama for this reason, and now the 2nd CDR is
showing the same problem.

Is this commom to all CDR??  What's causing this?  any cheap/quick fix for
it? I talked to the Yamaha tech support and they 1) acknowledge this is
common for CDR100/102, and 2) they'er charging me $500 flat rate to fix
it.  For that price, I may as well buy a new 4x writer instead.

thanx for all input,

Elvis

Yamaha CDR rejecting CD?

Post by ?DRM?k » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I had 2 Yamaha CDR 100's do that under warranty that were replaced.

Out of the 4 CDR 100's I have right now, one just started doing this again!
If you watch, you'll probably see the WRITE lite blink red and then the CDR
is ejected..

My 100's are getting old, and I'm looking into the Plextor's now...

My problem was..
According to Yamaha (I spoke with them and they sent me to their web page) this
is the problem I am experiencing...

Symptom: After powering up the unit, you insert a Caddy with a disc inside and
the Caddy drops down into the recorder. The "DISC" light starts to blink and you
can here the disc spin up. The "DISC" light stops blinking and becomes solid,
and then the "READ" light starts to blink as the drive attempts to read the
media. At the same time as the "READ" light starts to blink, you see the "WRITE"
light blink once or twice.

Meaning: The drive is defective and needs to be returned for repair. Return the
unit throughout your Direct Distributor or Resaler.(The "WRITE" light should
never come on unless you are starting a write session.)

CONTOUR is Yamaha Systems Technology, Inc.'s Authorized Service Center for the
Yamaha CDR100/CDE100/CDE100-II/CDR102/CDE102 Recorders ONLY. Out of Warranty
Repairs will be handled by Contour directly. You can contact them directly for
service and repair at (800) 992-9574 or 612-975-3700

              __     _____    ____     _   _
            /    )   /    )   /    )   /  /|          /
        ---/--------/----/---/___ /---/| /-|----__---/-__----__---)__-
          /        /    /   /    |   / |/  |  /   ) /(     /___) /   )
        _(____/___/____/___/_____|__/__/___|_(___(_/___\__(___ _/_____

        Plextor 12/20 + (4) Yamaha CDR100 + CDRWIN 3.5B + DJ 1.01.199A
                           Located in San Diego, CA

Quote:

>greeting to all,

>I am on my -2nd- Yamaha 2x writer.  The problem of both drives is that,
>after a period of usage (about 4 months) the CDR simply reject -ALL- CDs,
>no matter if they are CD-blank, original silver-pressed CD, or burnt-cd.
>I exchanged my 1st CDR with Yahama for this reason, and now the 2nd CDR is
>showing the same problem.

>Is this commom to all CDR??  What's causing this?  any cheap/quick fix for
>it? I talked to the Yamaha tech support and they 1) acknowledge this is
>common for CDR100/102, and 2) they'er charging me $500 flat rate to fix
>it.  For that price, I may as well buy a new 4x writer instead.

>thanx for all input,

>Elvis

Yamaha CDR rejecting CD?

Post by D. L » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I've seen the same thing with my Yamaha CDR102 and CDR100.   For some
reason they go out of alignment after a while

>greeting to all,

>I am on my -2nd- Yamaha 2x writer.  The problem of both drives is that,
>after a period of usage (about 4 months) the CDR simply reject -ALL- CDs,
>no matter if they are CD-blank, original silver-pressed CD, or burnt-cd.
>I exchanged my 1st CDR with Yahama for this reason, and now the 2nd CDR is
>showing the same problem.

>Is this commom to all CDR??  What's causing this?  any cheap/quick fix for
>it? I talked to the Yamaha tech support and they 1) acknowledge this is
>common for CDR100/102, and 2) they'er charging me $500 flat rate to fix
>it.  For that price, I may as well buy a new 4x writer instead.

>thanx for all input,

>Elvis

Yamaha CDR rejecting CD?

Post by Julien Luscuer » Sun, 11 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Elvis Chen wrote

Quote:>I am on my -2nd- Yamaha 2x writer.  The problem of both drives is that,
>after a period of usage (about 4 months) the CDR simply reject -ALL- CDs,
>no matter if they are CD-blank, original silver-pressed CD, or burnt-cd.
>I exchanged my 1st CDR with Yahama for this reason, and now the 2nd CDR is
>showing the same problem. Is this commom to all CDR??

It's a well known defect of the (older) Yamaha writers, especially the
400-serie.

Quote:>What's causing this?

Most of the time because of structural overheating of the (bad designed)
burner.

Quote:>any cheap/quick fix for it?

No. You can only prevent it by placing extra cooling fans in your system.

Quote:>I talked to the Yamaha tech support and they 1) acknowledge this is
>common for CDR100/102,

They (Yamaha, Craig Cambell) also admitted it in the Adaptec CDR-Userlist.
Check the archive.

Quote:>and 2) they'er charging me $500 flat rate to fix
>it.  For that price, I may as well buy a new 4x writer instead.

Its incredible. But that's how it works. They hardly repair these machines.
They only replace it. This is much cheaper than paying a costly team of high
tech engineers.
But what about the warranty? Craig has said that in some cases they will
replace the writer, even when the warranty has passed.

Julien

Yamaha CDR rejecting CD?

Post by DTSexpe » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Elvis Chen wrote
>>I am on my -2nd- Yamaha 2x writer.  The problem of both drives is that,
>>after a period of usage (about 4 months) the CDR simply reject -ALL- CDs,
>>no matter if they are CD-blank, original silver-pressed CD, or burnt-cd.
>>I exchanged my 1st CDR with Yahama for this reason, and now the 2nd CDR is
>>showing the same problem. Is this commom to all CDR??

>It's a well known defect of the (older) Yamaha writers, especially the
>400-serie.

>>What's causing this?

>Most of the time because of structural overheating of the (bad designed)
>burner.

>>any cheap/quick fix for it?
>No. You can only prevent it by placing extra cooling fans in your system.

>>I talked to the Yamaha tech support and they 1) acknowledge this is
>>common for CDR100/102,
>They (Yamaha, Craig Cambell) also admitted it in the Adaptec CDR-Userlist.
>Check the archive.

>>and 2) they'er charging me $500 flat rate to fix
>>it.  For that price, I may as well buy a new 4x writer instead.

>Its incredible. But that's how it works. They hardly repair these machines.
>They only replace it. This is much cheaper than paying a costly team of high
>tech engineers.
>But what about the warranty? Craig has said that in some cases they will
>replace the writer, even when the warranty has passed.

>Julien

The Yamaha company is suck. My warranty just passed only a few days when the
drive had this problem.
My brother called the customer service and talked with the manager. They
charged us $250 for fixing their common defect. I'll never buy anything from
Yamaha in the future.
BTW, Does any one know there are any coputer repair stores around Bay Area?
I live in San Francisco. Looking for a repair store where I can fix the Yamaha
drive at a resonable price.
               Thanks
                Hieu

Yamaha CDR rejecting CD?

Post by Julien Luscuer » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>The Yamaha company is suck. My warranty just passed only a few days when
the
>drive had this problem.
>My brother called the customer service and talked with the manager. They
>charged us $250 for fixing their common defect. I'll never buy anything
from
>Yamaha in the future.
>BTW, Does any one know there are any coputer repair stores around Bay Area?
>I live in San Francisco. Looking for a repair store where I can fix the
Yamaha
>drive at a resonable price.

Like I said, it will be difficle to find someone that can repair a
cd-recorder. In any case, it will not be cheap. Try to contact

Adaptec userlist he made some promises about this issue.

Julien

Yamaha CDR rejecting CD?

Post by Stev » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Elvis Chen wrote
>>I am on my -2nd- Yamaha 2x writer.  The problem of both drives is that,
>>after a period of usage (about 4 months) the CDR simply reject -ALL- CDs,
>>no matter if they are CD-blank, original silver-pressed CD, or burnt-cd.
>>I exchanged my 1st CDR with Yahama for this reason, and now the 2nd CDR is
>>showing the same problem. Is this commom to all CDR??

>It's a well known defect of the (older) Yamaha writers, especially the
>400-serie.

>>What's causing this?

I had  2 Yamaha CDR400T 's (manufactured August 1997) fail in exactly the
same way in the same week. All CD's were rejected a few seconds after
insertion.

What I discovered  was one of the VERY fine wires from the focus coil had
broken off at the connection point below. With a good light, magnifying
glass and very fine tipped soldering iron I managed to solder the wire back
onto its pad. The same wire had broken on both machines!

There are four of these very fine wires which flex whenever the lens moves.
It seems to me that all CDR400's will suffer from this problem sooner or
later, which is a shame because the drive is solid otherwise.

--
Steve

Yamaha CDR rejecting CD?

Post by Julien Luscuer » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Steve,

It looks like you have found a new "spring problem". This time it is not
Philips, but Yamaha that should take its responsibility for bad design. It's
likely that the heat development in the burner affects the connection of the
fine wires.

Can you give some kind of manual on the repair you executed? In this way other
owners of an "out of warranty Yamaha" could take a look if they can confirm the
broken wire connections.

Julien

> >Elvis Chen wrote
> >>I am on my -2nd- Yamaha 2x writer.  The problem of both drives is that,
> >>after a period of usage (about 4 months) the CDR simply reject -ALL- CDs,
> >>no matter if they are CD-blank, original silver-pressed CD, or burnt-cd.
> >>I exchanged my 1st CDR with Yahama for this reason, and now the 2nd CDR is
> >>showing the same problem. Is this commom to all CDR??

> >It's a well known defect of the (older) Yamaha writers, especially the
> >400-serie.

> >>What's causing this?

> I had  2 Yamaha CDR400T 's (manufactured August 1997) fail in exactly the
> same way in the same week. All CD's were rejected a few seconds after
> insertion.

> What I discovered  was one of the VERY fine wires from the focus coil had
> broken off at the connection point below. With a good light, magnifying
> glass and very fine tipped soldering iron I managed to solder the wire back
> onto its pad. The same wire had broken on both machines!

> There are four of these very fine wires which flex whenever the lens moves.
> It seems to me that all CDR400's will suffer from this problem sooner or
> later, which is a shame because the drive is solid otherwise.

> --
> Steve

Yamaha CDR rejecting CD?

Post by Karsten Bruenin » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> It looks like you have found a new "spring problem". This time it is not
> Philips, but Yamaha that should take its responsibility for bad design. It's
> likely that the heat development in the burner affects the connection of the
> fine wires.

> Can you give some kind of manual on the repair you executed? In this way other
> owners of an "out of warranty Yamaha" could take a look if they can confirm the
> broken wire connections.

> Julien

> > What I discovered  was one of the VERY fine wires from the focus coil had
> > broken off at the connection point below. With a good light, magnifying
> > glass and very fine tipped soldering iron I managed to solder the wire back
> > onto its pad. The same wire had broken on both machines!

> > There are four of these very fine wires which flex whenever the lens moves.
> > It seems to me that all CDR400's will suffer from this problem sooner or
> > later, which is a shame because the drive is solid otherwise.

that's interesting! i also have this problem since many months with my
400t and i already tried many strategies to fix it, e.g. i greased the
lasertransfer and the tray-mecanics, but all i did only helped
approximately for the duration of one week, then the problem returned.
it is a sort of "sometimes-problem", it doesn't occur all the time, but
quite often. when i tried to find the reason for this, i operated the
drive after opening its upper cover, but then it didn't occur. it
occured after closing the case again! very annoying! so i was sure that
it is related with some mechanical stress (not heat! - heat was never a
problem for my unit because i cooled it from the first day of usage).
well, i didn't check the wires of the focus coils, but i'll do it next
time... thanks for the tip!

karsten.

Yamaha CDR rejecting CD?

Post by Karsten Bruenin » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> > > What I discovered  was one of the VERY fine wires from the focus coil had
> > > broken off at the connection point below. With a good light, magnifying
> > > glass and very fine tipped soldering iron I managed to solder the wire back
> > > onto its pad. The same wire had broken on both machines!

> > > There are four of these very fine wires which flex whenever the lens moves.
> > > It seems to me that all CDR400's will suffer from this problem sooner or
> > > later, which is a shame because the drive is solid otherwise.

> (...) well, i didn't check the wires of the focus coils, but i'll do it next
> time... thanks for the tip!

...and i did. but there was no loose connection. all 4 wires are ok,
even they are glued to the PCB next to the solder joints in order to
provide a certain strain-relief.
but i still have that similar problem. there must be another reason...

karsten.

Yamaha CDR rejecting CD?

Post by Stev » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>> (...) well, i didn't check the wires of the focus coils, but i'll do it
next
>> time... thanks for the tip!

>...and i did. but there was no loose connection. all 4 wires are ok,
>even they are glued to the PCB next to the solder joints in order to
>provide a certain strain-relief.
>but i still have that similar problem. there must be another reason...

>karsten.

Sorry to hear this didn't solve your problem, but it is interesting to note
that the wires from the focus coils are glued to the PCB on your machine. It
would appear that Yamaha picked up on this in later production, or perhaps
your drive has been through a remediation process.
As a matter of interest what is the manufacturing date on your CDR400?

Steve

Yamaha CDR rejecting CD?

Post by Karsten Bruenin » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Sorry to hear this didn't solve your problem, but it is interesting to note
> that the wires from the focus coils are glued to the PCB on your machine. It
> would appear that Yamaha picked up on this in later production, or perhaps
> your drive has been through a remediation process.
> As a matter of interest what is the manufacturing date on your CDR400?

yes, i agree with your first assumption. my writer was manufactured in
dec '97. there was no remediation so far (not yet...).
btw, i have a scanned image of the interior of my cdr400t. look at
http://pingu.physik.uni-osnabrueck.de/Yamaha/Reparatur.html
unfortunately, i created this page after the first time i succeeded to
"revive" my yamaha, so i thought i had found the solution. but after the
page was finished, the problem reoccured...
if you look at the image, you might see the gluedrops (2 white drops
beneath the solder joints). there are also gluedrops at the other ends
of the wires (deeper inside), but you can't see them unless you take a
pocketlamp, a magnifying lens and a handful skills.

karsten

1. HELP: Yamaha CDR100 rejects CDs

Subject: HELP: Yamaha CDR100 rejects CDs
Newsgroups: comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
I own a yamaha CDR 100 for a year.
Since last week every time I put a CD into the recorder, it throws the
CD out again. (The led blinks a little time)
What should I do?

The big problem is that I'm living in Chile (Southamerica) and there still
aren't reliable technical support for CD recorders here.

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance.

Alejandro Woywood

Fax    :  056-02-6353000  Santiago, Chile

2. confussion about ODBC

3. WARNING - Security bulletins with attachment is a virus

4. @@Help With My Yamaha 4260 Rejecting cue sheets@@

5. Why different my struct size from sum of members?

6. Yamaha cdr102 rejects Mitsui gold blanks

7. IRIX 5.3 don't se app-defaults/SGI-colorxxx dirs

8. CDR drive rejects disc

9. Easy CD-Creator rejects Sunstar CD-Rs.

10. Easy-CD Pro rejects my AIFFs

11. HP6020i Rejecting blanks

12. Mikey Richter Rejects DirectCD (Drag-to-Disc)!!!