CD-R & CD-RW drive letters moved...

Post by US » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:03:31

I know this question has probably been asked here a zillion times but now I
need the answer.  PC with a 1.7 gig drive (C:) and a just-installed 40 gig
drive (D:) plus CD-R by Goldstar (E:) and a Phillips CD-RW (F:).  At least
that's the way it was supposed to be earlier this evening.  Now, after
installing the new D: (simply replacing the old 540 Meg D:)  W-98SE calls
the Goldstar F: and the Phillips is nowhere to be found.  Interestingly
enough, at the POST the BIOS does apparently see both CD drives correctly as
"slaves" off their counterpart hard disks, ie. the 1.7 slaves with the
GoldStar and the 40 gig: slaves with the Phillips.  It finds the masters and
their slaves accurately as the CD units are set in the BIOS to "Auto".  The
new 40 gigger had to be formatted and run with Seagate's OnTrack table
translator to bring out the full 40 gig.  As soon as I saw what happened, I
tried Seagate's program "cdupdate" which I mistakenly thought in my panic
would set the drive letters straight but it did not - apparently all it does
is adjust your shortcuts to the new drive letter.  (I don't even want to
think about what that mistake might have just cost me...).

So the BIOS sees the four disk drives correctly I believe, yet Windows 98
does not.  Before installing the 40 gigger, both CD units were operating
normally and referred to correctly by Win98.  Note that the C: and D: drives
work perfectly at this point and I can address a data CD in the GaldStar as
long as I click on F: in Explorer.   And, just to confuse and frustrate me
even more, I can in fact, play a reg audio CD in the Goldstar AND the
Phillips using the Windows CD Player!!!  So my question is, how do I get the
GoldStar and the Phillips back to their rightful places?

Thanks to this group for all their fine support (I really mean that!).

US

CD-R & CD-RW drive letters moved...

Post by US » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:06:37

Quote:> I know this question has probably been asked here a zillion times but now
> need the answer.  PC with a 1.7 gig drive (C:) and a just-installed 40 gig
> drive (D:) plus CD-R by Goldstar (E:) and a Phillips CD-RW (F:).  At least
> that's the way it was supposed to be earlier this evening.  Now, after
> installing the new D: (simply replacing the old 540 Meg D:)  W-98SE calls
> the Goldstar F: and the Phillips is nowhere to be found.  Interestingly
> enough, at the POST the BIOS does apparently see both CD drives correctly
as
> "slaves" off their counterpart hard disks, ie. the 1.7 slaves with the
> GoldStar and the 40 gig: slaves with the Phillips.  It finds the masters
and
> their slaves accurately as the CD units are set in the BIOS to "Auto".
The
> new 40 gigger had to be formatted and run with Seagate's OnTrack table
> translator to bring out the full 40 gig.  As soon as I saw what happened,
> tried Seagate's program "cdupdate" which I mistakenly thought in my panic
> would set the drive letters straight but it did not - apparently all it
does
> is adjust your shortcuts to the new drive letter.  (I don't even want to
> think about what that mistake might have just cost me...).

> So the BIOS sees the four disk drives correctly I believe, yet Windows 98
> does not.  Before installing the 40 gigger, both CD units were operating
> normally and referred to correctly by Win98.  Note that the C: and D:
drives
> work perfectly at this point and I can address a data CD in the GaldStar
as
> long as I click on F: in Explorer.   And, just to confuse and frustrate me
> even more, I can in fact, play a reg audio CD in the Goldstar AND the
> Phillips using the Windows CD Player!!!  So my question is, how do I get
the
> GoldStar and the Phillips back to their rightful places?

> Thanks to this group for all their fine support (I really mean that!).

> US

Additional important info - I just went back to "Device Manager" because
somehow I felt I should be able to adjust drive letter names there.   But,
when I opened up Dev Mgr, poof! there are NO CD drives anywhere to be found.
That's probably why W98 is not finding them properly when the OS is put in
play.  Why did they disappear - who knows.  Before I adjust the drive
letters, I guess I have to re-install the actual CD drive hardware so, I
went to Add New Hardware and again, there are NO GoldStar or Phillips CD
drives for me to add.  What next?  (Config.sys and Autoexec are calling the
right drivers at boot time, btw...)  I'm really stumped now....

Post by Al Superczynsk » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:22:39

>...I went to Add New Hardware and again, there are NO GoldStar or Phillips CD
>drives for me to add.  What next?

     Did you try to add them manually after Windoze failed to detect
the devices?

--
My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.

CD-R & CD-RW drive letters moved...

Post by smh » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:30:42

            --------------------------------------
            how BIG are your BALLS, Adrian Miller?
         Only a trashy company like cRoxio or Acraptec
             let loosed in Usenet this utter trash
       Ezcd 5 can not be called a cd recording software
            as it does not write Mode 1 or Mode 2 (*)
             (*) - Joe Pyles, coaster, Sleepless

     [ Mike Richter has yet to acknowledge it despite his ]
     [     declaring he "readily" acknowledges bugs!      ]
     [                                                    ]
     [               Mike Richter's excuse:               ]
     [     ... not use ... not know ... not write ...     ]
     [                                                    ]
     [          but calls himself a beta tester!          ]
     [                                                    ]
     [       The bug was in the November 2000 beta        ]

How is the 40G hard disk FDISK/FORMAT-ed?

Do you have a LASTDRV entry in config.sys?  If you do, REM ark it out or
set to Z.

> I know this question has probably been asked here a zillion times but now I
> need the answer.  PC with a 1.7 gig drive (C:) and a just-installed 40 gig
> drive (D:) plus CD-R by Goldstar (E:) and a Phillips CD-RW (F:).  At least
> that's the way it was supposed to be earlier this evening.  Now, after
> installing the new D: (simply replacing the old 540 Meg D:)  W-98SE calls
> the Goldstar F: and the Phillips is nowhere to be found.  Interestingly
> enough, at the POST the BIOS does apparently see both CD drives correctly as
> "slaves" off their counterpart hard disks, ie. the 1.7 slaves with the
> GoldStar and the 40 gig: slaves with the Phillips.  It finds the masters and
> their slaves accurately as the CD units are set in the BIOS to "Auto".  The
> new 40 gigger had to be formatted and run with Seagate's OnTrack table
> translator to bring out the full 40 gig.  As soon as I saw what happened, I
> tried Seagate's program "cdupdate" which I mistakenly thought in my panic
> would set the drive letters straight but it did not - apparently all it does
> is adjust your shortcuts to the new drive letter.  (I don't even want to
> think about what that mistake might have just cost me...).

> So the BIOS sees the four disk drives correctly I believe, yet Windows 98
> does not.  Before installing the 40 gigger, both CD units were operating
> normally and referred to correctly by Win98.  Note that the C: and D: drives
> work perfectly at this point and I can address a data CD in the GaldStar as
> long as I click on F: in Explorer.   And, just to confuse and frustrate me
> even more, I can in fact, play a reg audio CD in the Goldstar AND the
> Phillips using the Windows CD Player!!!  So my question is, how do I get the
> GoldStar and the Phillips back to their rightful places?

> Thanks to this group for all their fine support (I really mean that!).

> US

1. Adaptec Direct CD Problem - Copying from CD-RW to hard drive - ALL CAPITOL LETTERS

I am using Direct CD 3.01a S4 with Win98 SE.  When I copy files from a
CD-RW to my hard drive, the file names are all changed to CAPITOL
LETTERS (no I am not yelling <grin>).  I do not have a tick in the
Win98 file settings that allows all capitols.

If I copy a series of folders to the hard drive, the folder names are
changed to  ALL CAPITOLS.

Has anyone seen this, and could suggest a fix.

Thanks very much,

Mark.

2. IWANN ' 95

3. cd-rw drive letter

4. Event 3101 Error

5. CD-RW Installation help - Drive letter assigned

6. IR port

7. Does Ricoh CD-RW appear as a normal drive letter in DOS/Win/Win95?

8. Man pages for vi not vim

9. Panasonic CR-563 & Win95 - multiple drive letters assigned.

10. Just installed HP 9500 CD-RW and Win98 moved my DVD to M:\

11. Drive letters on CD drives switch....

12. Is there any software to make multiple CD-Rom drives appear as one drive letter?

13. CD-RW Drive & normal CD-R(oms)