Systex 100x CDROM drive?

Post by Blackrob » Fri, 29 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm not kidding, I saw a 100x CDROM drive (as it claim) for sale when
> I was in Taiwan? (I guess not really 100x, but somehow its cache or some
> machenics could let it speed up and much faster than other 24x CDROM
> drive)  I think the company is "systex" or something?
> Any comment on this CDROM drive? Thanks in advance. and please if
> possible, cc me  your reply. thanks

Most probably this is a software solution that copies the CD-ROM to the
hard drive. With the ever-decreasing price of the hard drive this is great
in theory, but it still requires oodles of time to copy the contents of the
CD-ROM to the hard drive and there are very very programs on CD that
require THAT high throughput and that low access time.

        Blackrobe
--
Robert R. Ballecer Jr., SJ
"The Original Technoweenie!"

Systex 100x CDROM drive?

Post by Eric Hutto » Fri, 29 Aug 1997 04:00:00

 There was some discussion about this thing before, I believe. My
recollection is that what this thing is a regular CDROM with some software
which downloads content from the CDs onto your hard drive... thereby
speeding up access to that downlaoded content....

waste of money, since you can either a) do this yourself with your current
CD, or for software that looks for files on the CD, b) pick up one of the
many software packages out there that already do this , and save the
investment of the CDROM hardware that is bundled in their system.

Cheers,
Eric.