Sony33A and SB Multi

Post by Mark Staplet » Sun, 24 Jul 1994 00:17:00

AH>>: I have the Sony33A CD-ROM and the SB multi cd card. I am having
AH>>: problems getting the cd-rom to work. Everything is connected
AH>>: correctly but I am having problems with configuring the drivers.
AH>>
AH>>You should have received a Sony installation diskette which contains
AH>a  >setup routine.
AH>>MSCDEX.EXE in it.  The setup routine will also create modified
AH>>autoexec.bat and config.sys files for you by adding the lines,
AH>>\DEV\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 to the former and DEVICE=\DEV\SLCD.SYS
AH>>/D:MSCD001 /B:340 /M:P /K /C to the latter.  The switch settings
AH>selected  >by the setup routine may not be correct...

AH>In particular, watch the /B: part.  That's the base I/O address, and
AH>it's probably wrong.  It is certainly wrong for my sound card, which
AH>is a Sound Galaxy 16 Pro Extra.  When I allowed the setup program to
AH>have its own way, it used a default of 300 (there's something in the
AH>READ.ME file about older versions using a default of 340).  I waded
AH>into the technical bits of the sound card's manual, and came out with
AH>an address of 634, and when I altered the config.sys file to read
AH>/B:634 it worked fine.
AH>The sound card also came with a driver.  It's an old one, intended
AH>for use with the CDU-31; it drives the CDU-33, but only at single
AH>speed. However, it also uses significantly less memory than the Sony
AH>driver. I've arranged my config.sys file to allow me to choose which
AH>of the two drivers to use.  If you don't have MS-DOS 6, it may be
AH>worth having several config files; one using the Sony driver, one
AH>using the sound card's driver, and one with no driver at all.  Copy
AH>the desired file to config.sys and reboot the computer.

If you are not getting a msg at the config.sys attempt to load the
device driver that says something to the effect of:

DRIVE NOT INSTALLED, DEVICE POWERED DOWN, OR COMMUNICATION FAILED
Device driver not loaded.

read no further. But if you are...

I spent a week in hell trying to get my Sony CDU33A running with a
tri-interface card (Sony, Panasonic, and Mit(?)), and the problem ended
up getting solved like this: unplug the ribbon cable connecting the CD
drive to the interface card, rotate the end connector 180 degrees and
plug it back into the card.

That's all it took.

Mark "a '48 Hudson on the info superhighway's feeder road"
       |\              |\              |\              |\

     (  > ) tweet    (  > )  tweet   (  > ) tweet    (  > ) mind,
     |    | tweet    |    |  tweet   |    | tweet    |    | its gone
    / |  |          / |  |          / |  |          / |   | blank!
------m--m------------m--m------------m--m------------m--m--------------
    /_/             /_/             /_/             /_/

---
t CmpQwk #UNREGt UNREGISTERED EVALUATION COPY

Sony33A and SB Multi

Post by A L Wou » Sat, 30 Jul 1994 05:23:35

: AH>>: I have the Sony33A CD-ROM and the SB multi cd card. I am having
: AH>>: problems getting the cd-rom to work. Everything is connected
: AH>>: correctly but I am having problems with configuring the drivers.
: AH>>
: AH>>You should have received a Sony installation diskette which contains
: AH>a  >setup routine.
: AH>> ...
: AH>>MSCDEX.EXE in it.  The setup routine will also create modified
: AH>>autoexec.bat and config.sys files for you by adding the lines,
: AH>>\DEV\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 to the former and DEVICE=\DEV\SLCD.SYS
: AH>>/D:MSCD001 /B:340 /M:P /K /C to the latter.  The switch settings
: AH>selected  >by the setup routine may not be correct...

: AH>In particular, watch the /B: part.  That's the base I/O address, and
: AH>it's probably wrong.  It is certainly wrong for my sound card, which
: AH>is a Sound Galaxy 16 Pro Extra.  When I allowed the setup program to
: AH>have its own way, it used a default of 300 (there's something in the
: AH>READ.ME file about older versions using a default of 340).  I waded
: AH>into the technical bits of the sound card's manual, and came out with
: AH>an address of 634, and when I altered the config.sys file to read
: AH>/B:634 it worked fine.
: AH>The sound card also came with a driver.  It's an old one, intended
: AH>for use with the CDU-31; it drives the CDU-33, but only at single
: AH>speed. However, it also uses significantly less memory than the Sony
: AH>driver. I've arranged my config.sys file to allow me to choose which
: AH>of the two drivers to use.  If you don't have MS-DOS 6, it may be
: AH>worth having several config files; one using the Sony driver, one
: AH>using the sound card's driver, and one with no driver at all.  Copy
: AH>the desired file to config.sys and reboot the computer.

: If you are not getting a msg at the config.sys attempt to load the
: device driver that says something to the effect of:

: DRIVE NOT INSTALLED, DEVICE POWERED DOWN, OR COMMUNICATION FAILED
: Device driver not loaded.

: read no further. But if you are...

: I spent a week in hell trying to get my Sony CDU33A running with a
: tri-interface card (Sony, Panasonic, and Mit(?)), and the problem ended
: up getting solved like this: unplug the ribbon cable connecting the CD
: drive to the interface card, rotate the end connector 180 degrees and
: plug it back into the card.

No.  Separate the ribbon cable from the card header and look at the
printed markings around the header pins.  There should be a "1" at one
end of the row or the other.  Reconnect the ribbon cable with the stripe
at the "1" pin end.  Then it will be correct.

1. Sony33A and SB MultiCD?

I have the Sony33A CD-ROM and the SB multi cd card. I am having
problems getting the cd-rom to work. Everything is connected
correctly but I am having problems with configuring the drivers.
The SB software seems to come with some drivers but I thought I
needed to use the Sony CD-ROM drivers.  If anyone can tell me
how to set up the correct autoexec and config files it would be
appreciated.

2. Internet e-mail usage survey

3. Mitsumi 4X CD-ROM & SB 16 Multi CD ?

4. ghosting/backup

5. SB-16 ASP w/ Multi-CD

6. problems with alignat

7. SB-16 Multi CD & Sony CDU-33A

8. Update on Office 97 SR-2

9. Toshiba 3501B with SB AWE32/SB ASP SCSI-2

10. SB 16 compatibility with SB PRO ?

11. SB SCSI II or SB MCD?