could burn cds, now get buffer underrun

Post by pouringrai » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 04:33:16

I've burned hundreds of cds on my HP Pavilion 8772C, with CD-Writer Plus. I
used Music Match for music discs, and Easy CD Creator for data disks. I used
the standard, default settings. Suddenly, I started getting a failure every
time at 90%. I've tried everything I could think of, including reinstalling
system software twice, trying newer or older versions of the Music Match
software, deleting lots of files from the computer to free up space (there
are now 16 gb free) and defragmenting, plus every adjustment to the settings
recommended by the music match technician. Tried every setting possible.
Have a stack of ruined cds 2 inches high, so gave up and now make audio
tapes. We need this because my son is a musician and needs to use the
compilations for the bands to learn their songs. It's not just frivolous
burning of cds for pleasure.

I took it to Future Shop where we bought it and have a 5 year warranty, and
they claimed the cd drive is fine. They claimed they burned a cd fine using
a new, different cd creator software (that I would have to buy). I tried the
trial version of it and the burn failed. They say I have to reformat the
hard drive and then everything will work fine, because Windows has some kind
of messed up codes that no technician could ever find, and that this happens
with every computer after two years.  I can't accept this nonsense. I can't
reformat without buying another drive to back up my files since I can't burn
cds. We already paid them many thousands of dollars for this computer which
was second to top of the line when we bought it. The idea was that it was a
workhorse, and would perform for years. If the cd writer is indeed fine as
they claim, what else could be causing the buffer underrun? I only know it
is that because the Easy CD creator gives that message. Sometimes the
burning of data will complete but says there were errors. However, burning
music always fails. Music Match never gives an error message, yet the burn
stops at 90% precisely every time. Their replies to me have been very
unhelpful. I have almost nothing left on my computer that could possible
interfere. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

could burn cds, now get buffer underrun

Post by JIMMIE WHITAKE » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 10:07:15

I was getting buffer under run also, now I disable screen saver and virus
software during cd writes, and it works fine.

Quote:> I've burned hundreds of cds on my HP Pavilion 8772C, with CD-Writer Plus.
> used Music Match for music discs, and Easy CD Creator for data disks. I
used
> the standard, default settings. Suddenly, I started getting a failure
every
> time at 90%. I've tried everything I could think of, including
reinstalling
> system software twice, trying newer or older versions of the Music Match
> software, deleting lots of files from the computer to free up space (there
> are now 16 gb free) and defragmenting, plus every adjustment to the
settings
> recommended by the music match technician. Tried every setting possible.
> Have a stack of ruined cds 2 inches high, so gave up and now make audio
> tapes. We need this because my son is a musician and needs to use the
> compilations for the bands to learn their songs. It's not just frivolous
> burning of cds for pleasure.

> I took it to Future Shop where we bought it and have a 5 year warranty,
and
> they claimed the cd drive is fine. They claimed they burned a cd fine
using
> a new, different cd creator software (that I would have to buy). I tried
the
> trial version of it and the burn failed. They say I have to reformat the
> hard drive and then everything will work fine, because Windows has some
kind
> of messed up codes that no technician could ever find, and that this
happens
> with every computer after two years.  I can't accept this nonsense. I
can't
> reformat without buying another drive to back up my files since I can't
burn
> cds. We already paid them many thousands of dollars for this computer
which
> was second to top of the line when we bought it. The idea was that it was
> workhorse, and would perform for years. If the cd writer is indeed fine as
> they claim, what else could be causing the buffer underrun? I only know it
> is that because the Easy CD creator gives that message. Sometimes the
> burning of data will complete but says there were errors. However, burning
> music always fails. Music Match never gives an error message, yet the burn
> stops at 90% precisely every time. Their replies to me have been very
> unhelpful. I have almost nothing left on my computer that could possible
> interfere. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1. hp 7200i now getting buffer underruns on clean system

Started getting a few coasters with hp 7200i so decided to re format the pc.
Now I have a clean install of windows 98 and adaptec direct cd ver 2.5d and
easy cd creator ver 3.5c only running on the pc. Just tried to copy an audio
cd by first copying to image file on hard drive first and then image file to
writer. I was using test and copy mode and half way through the test phase
it stopped and said that I have a buffer underrun. I am copying at 2x speed
and obviously there is no defragmentation on the hard drive, so what is
going wrong?
The hp is only 6 months old, could this it be starting to die.
I would appreciate any help

Julian

2. USB Adaptors Problem

3. Sony Spressa Drives and Nero 5, Is anyone not getting Loss of Stream/Buffer Underruns?????

4. The View State is invalid for this page and might be corrupted.

5. buffer underruns - keep getting them

6. Subweb Password Bug w/Mac Browsers

7. can't adjust burn speed - buffer underrun problem

8. POSIX & UNICODE

9. Burning probs at x8, but no buffer underruns

10. Buffer Underrun errors when burning

11. HP7110e: can't burn audio disks -- buffer underrun

12. buffer underrun - continue burning?