Which CD-R: Philips CDD-2600, Sony CDU-926S, Yamaha CDR-200T ?

Which CD-R: Philips CDD-2600, Sony CDU-926S, Yamaha CDR-200T ?

Post by Nicolas Guillema » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi there!

I'm about to buy a cheap CD-R drive for my home computer, and I've
narrowed my choice to three models: Philips CDD-2600, Sony CDU-926S and
Yamaha CDR-200T. Based on previous experience, which of these would you
guys recommend as the most reliable? Any other brands I should consider
(HP, JVC, Ricoh...)?

The unit will mostly be used to write audio CDs. It's my understanding
that the Sony CDU-926S has no disk-at-once support, whereas the Philips
and Yamaha do. Is that a problem?

Also, beeing out of free ISA slots, I'm planning to use a low-end Asus
NCR SC-200 or a Tekram DC-390 PCI controller for the CD-R and a 2 Gb
SCSI-2 hard disk. Any compatibility problems I should know about?

E-See you,
Nicolas

Post by DEMesser » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I'm about to buy a cheap CD-R drive for my home computer, and I've
> narrowed my choice to three models: Philips CDD-2600, Sony CDU-926S and
> Yamaha CDR-200T. Based on previous experience, which of these would you
> guys recommend as the most reliable? Any other brands I should consider
> (HP, JVC, Ricoh...)?

> The unit will mostly be used to write audio CDs. It's my understanding
> that the Sony CDU-926S has no disk-at-once support, whereas the Philips
> and Yamaha do. Is that a problem?

Unless you need to write audio CDs that are suitable for replication at a
pressing plant, the lack of DAO support in the Sony 926 should not be a
problem.

Kind Regards,

Dawn Messerly
"Post-Toastie"

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So, I bought a Macintosh.

Post by Kevin W. Ru » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I'm about to buy a cheap CD-R drive for my home computer, and I've
>narrowed my choice to three models: Philips CDD-2600, Sony CDU-926S and
>Yamaha CDR-200T. Based on previous experience, which of these would you
>guys recommend as the most reliable? Any other brands I should consider
>(HP, JVC, Ricoh...)?

Based on my experience, I would avoid the Sony drive.  I am on my 3rd
drive in as many months:

Drive #1:

1. Couldn't reliably figure out its own SCSI ID.  Sometimes it would
   show up on the bus as ID 4 (the proper one).  Other times it would
   show up as ID 2 or 0 (which really created problems as this was the
   ID of my disk drive).

2. Wouldn't read CD-Rs that were written on other drives.  Simply
   attempting to do so would cause Win95 "Drive Not Ready" errors
   and either cause the drive to not want to eject the media or induce
   behavior #1 of floating the SCSI ID.

Drive #2:

1. Still wouldn't reliably read CD-Rs that were written on other drives.
   There was one that I found that it could read, but the majority gave
   it fits.

2. Decided to die after only one successful burn.  The interesting thing
   was that the Easy-CD Pro software would report 165-... errors even
   in test mode when the CD-R was not really being written to.  Before
   I admitted that I had dog #2, I tried every recommendation that I
   could find including putting the drive on its own private SCSI bus.

Drive #3:

I can't get these Sony drives to reliably read other CD-Rs.  The most
recent drive won't even read the ones burned on the previous Sony
drive (although this shouldn't surprise me).  If anyone else has any
suggestions on this, I'm all ears ;-).  I finally gave up and bought
another CD-ROM drive to use as a reader.

So far, 1 successful burn (although this was the last drives track
record too).  To think... I originally scoffed at all of the problems
and reports of temperamental drives that I read ;-).

Quote:

>The unit will mostly be used to write audio CDs. It's my understanding
>that the Sony CDU-926S has no disk-at-once support, whereas the Philips
>and Yamaha do. Is that a problem?

I have yet to do an audio CD, so I can't comment on this one.

Quote:

>Also, beeing out of free ISA slots, I'm planning to use a low-end Asus
>NCR SC-200 or a Tekram DC-390 PCI controller for the CD-R and a 2 Gb
>SCSI-2 hard disk. Any compatibility problems I should know about?

I originally had my drive* off of an Adaptec 2940UW with an IBM
UW hard disk.  I ended up buying a cheap AVA-1505 to hang my CD-R drive
off of, because I wanted to eliminate any problems associated with mixing
narrow devices with ultra-wide disks.  It didn't make any difference
for the problems I was having with drive #2, but I feel better knowing
that the CD-R is now isolated from my disk drives ;-).  If your hard
disk is not wide or ultra, then you probably won't have any trouble.

Good Luck!
-Kevin

Which CD-R: Philips CDD-2600, Sony CDU-926S, Yamaha CDR-200T ?

Post by Byron Patters » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: Hi there!
:
: I'm about to buy a cheap CD-R drive for my home computer, and I've
: narrowed my choice to three models: Philips CDD-2600, Sony CDU-926S and
: Yamaha CDR-200T. Based on previous experience, which of these would you
: guys recommend as the most reliable? Any other brands I should consider
: (HP, JVC, Ricoh...)?

the philips 2600 comes with an adaptec 2910 pci scsi card....... (or at
least the one i bought a few weeks ago did.  i got the extternal tho
because well this now makes cdr drive #3 for me and i went external to be
able to not have to keep the drive on when i use my computer for non-cdr
stuff).

:
: E-See you,
: Nicolas

Which CD-R: Philips CDD-2600, Sony CDU-926S, Yamaha CDR-200T ?

Post by Dean Craddo » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Well I bought a Yamaha CDR200t about a month ago and I have written
just about every format since on about 30discs and I havn't trashed a
single disc yet.  No problems whatsoever!!

Dean.

>Hi there!

>I'm about to buy a cheap CD-R drive for my home computer, and I've=20
>narrowed my choice to three models: Philips CDD-2600, Sony CDU-926S and=20
>Yamaha CDR-200T. Based on previous experience, which of these would you=20
>guys recommend as the most reliable? Any other brands I should consider=20
>(HP, JVC, Ricoh...)?

>The unit will mostly be used to write audio CDs. It's my understanding=20
>that the Sony CDU-926S has no disk-at-once support, whereas the Philips=20
>and Yamaha do. Is that a problem?

>Also, beeing out of free ISA slots, I'm planning to use a low-end Asus=20
>NCR SC-200 or a Tekram DC-390 PCI controller for the CD-R and a 2 Gb=20
>SCSI-2 hard disk. Any compatibility problems I should know about?

>E-See you,
>Nicolas

1. Which CD-R: Philips CDD-2600, Sony CDU-926S, Yamaha CDR-200T?

Hi there!

I'm about to buy a cheap CD-R drive for my home computer, and I've
narrowed my choice to three models: Philips CDD-2600, Sony CDU-926S and
Yamaha CDR-200T. Based on previous experience, which of these would you
guys recommend as the most reliable? Any other brands I should consider
(HP, JVC, Ricoh...)?

The unit will mostly be used to write audio CDs. It's my understanding
that the Sony CDU-926S has no disk-at-once support, whereas the Philips
and Yamaha do. Is that a problem?

Also, beeing out of free ISA slots, I'm planning to use a low-end Asus
NCR SC-200 PCI controller for the CD-R and one SCSI-2 hard disk. Any
compatibility problems I should know about?

E-See you,
Nicolas

2. Non Routable IP Addresses

3. Query about Philips CDD-2600 CD-R

4. Configure Pine to use same IMAP connection for all mailboxes?

5. Problems with CD-Writer Philips CDD-2600

6. What is maximum length for Ethernet ?

7. Philips CDD-2600 + Corel Cd creator 2?

8. Speed it up... woohoooo

9. Sony CDU-926S -or- Sony Spressa 940S

10. Philips cdd-2600 not supported yet

11. Philips CDD-2600 Question..

12. Once again about the Philips CDD-2600

13. Philips cdd-2600 and win NT 4.0?