UltraPlex vs. UltraPlex Wide: noise?

Post by Jon Mart » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

     Does anybody have experience with both the old Plextor UltraPlex (32X)
and the new UltraPlex Wide (40X)?  I have seen all the reviews about
performance, but I would like to know how the two compare in terms of noise.
The UPW has some new balancing technology, which should reduce vibration and
therefore noise, but it also runs faster.  So ultimately which is the quieter
drive?
--
Serve Gonk.

Student and Undergraduate Labs Systems Administrator (ISG)
Department of Computing Science at University of Alberta.

Post by Trond Omd » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00

:      Does anybody have experience with both the old Plextor UltraPlex (32X)
: and the new UltraPlex Wide (40X)?  I have seen all the reviews about
: performance, but I would like to know how the two compare in terms of noise.
: The UPW has some new balancing technology, which should reduce vibration and
: therefore noise, but it also runs faster.  So ultimately which is the quieter
: drive?

 I have both the UltraPlex (32X) and UltraPlex 40max (40X), and they are
 pretty equal when it comes to disc spinning noise. The UltraPlex 40max
 do seem to vibrate even less than the UltraPlex, though both drives are
 close to non-vibrating compared to other fast drives.

 And by the way, the UltraPlex 40max comes both in a SCSI2 and SCSI wide
 version, not only wide.

 - Trond

Post by Brian Barringto » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>     Does anybody have experience with both the old Plextor UltraPlex (32X)
>and the new UltraPlex Wide (40X)?  I have seen all the reviews about
>performance, but I would like to know how the two compare in terms of
noise.
>The UPW has some new balancing technology, which should reduce vibration
and
>therefore noise, but it also runs faster.  So ultimately which is the
quieter
>drive?
>--
>Serve Gonk.

>Student and Undergraduate Labs Systems Administrator (ISG)
>Department of Computing Science at University of Alberta.

I just installed by UltraPlex 40 Wide today and at first I couldn't believe
the noise. With the case off it sounded like a leaf blower! I thought
someone was trying to cut my lawn... Not that I'd stop them. :)  Once I put
the case on it seems to be quite alot quieter. VERY FAST drive. I'm glad
that I got it.

Brian