COMPAQ and IDE CD-ROM

Post by Thom Gustafs » Wed, 20 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am attempting to install another hard drive off of my existing one (i.e.
>slave).  My CD-ROM (Mitsumi double-speed) is already slaved off of the HDD.
>So, I moved the CD to another IDE controler that uses 170H, IRQ15.  No matter
>what I do I cannot get WIN95 to reconize the CD.  It reconizes the IDE
>controler and shows no conflicts, but it gives me a CODE 10 with the CD
>attached.
>Any sugggestions...
>Thanks.

I have a Compaq Presario CDS 724 and tried the same thing with no
luck. I downloaded a file from Compaq that was supposed to enable a
secondary I/O controller. I also tried using the secondary controller
driver residing in the CPQDOS directory...no luck. It seems the
secondary controller must also have a hard drive attached to work
properly.

I read a few posts from other COMPAQ users unable to make a secondary
controller work and apparently COMPAQ's hardware and software
divisions blame each other for the inability to make a secondary IDE
controller work with a CD-ROM as master.

If you are able to learn something new, please reply.

Thom Gustafson                http://www.cnw.com/~thomgus/

1. Can Compaq Bootable CD-ROM boot in IDE CD-ROM

Hello everyone,

Now I get something useful about booting from a CD-ROM. I want ask
another question: The bootable CD-ROM supplied with Compaq's server can
boot from the server's SCSI CD-ROM, can it boot in an IDE CD-ROM? In
another word, is SCSI bootable CD-ROM's structure identical with IDE
ones?

Thanks in advance.

2. PDF Text Extraction

3. Need IDE CD-ROM driver from Compaq 486!!!!!!!

4. HPFSFindDirectoryEntry found a non-HPFS entry on hash list

5. Compaq 486 DX/2 66/Compaq Win 3.1/Soundblaster 16 Problem

6. Speed tests for modem

7. Installing IDE cdrom on compaq 5133

8. Testing userfriendliness

9. Compaq lost the CD-Rom drive?

10. Pb with CD-Rom on COMPAQ LTE5150

11. Reading CD-Rom on Compaq LTE5150

12. Compaq CD-ROM

13. Compaq and CD-ROM - CPQASPI.SYS desperately wanted