Drive Maintenance Tips

Post by Divin » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

My drive has been giving me some problems recently which now appear to have
fixed themselves but I fear it's reaching the end of it's life. I thought a
bit of maintenance might help prolong it's life.

The obvious thing is cleaning the lens. Does anyone have any recomendations
on the best method?

I'm never too sure about these cleaning discs (with brushes on the
underside) as I worry that a fast spinning brush might scratch the lens but
the alternative of opening the drive up might just allow more dust to get
inside. Any advice appreciated?

I've heard mentions of lubricating the rails, is this just necessary on some
models or is it valid as a general maintenance tip? If so, how do I go about
doing it (what sort of lubricant etc)?

Does anyone have any other maintenance tips?

TIA,

Divine

Drive Maintenance Tips

Post by Cooldude16 » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I have a HP writer and have read in the instruction manual,  never to use lens
cleaner that rely on rotating brush.

> My drive has been giving me some problems recently which now appear to have
> fixed themselves but I fear it's reaching the end of it's life. I thought a
> bit of maintenance might help prolong it's life.

> The obvious thing is cleaning the lens. Does anyone have any recomendations
> on the best method?

> I'm never too sure about these cleaning discs (with brushes on the
> underside) as I worry that a fast spinning brush might scratch the lens but
> the alternative of opening the drive up might just allow more dust to get
> inside. Any advice appreciated?

> I've heard mentions of lubricating the rails, is this just necessary on some
> models or is it valid as a general maintenance tip? If so, how do I go about
> doing it (what sort of lubricant etc)?

> Does anyone have any other maintenance tips?

> TIA,

> Divine

Drive Maintenance Tips

Post by Divin » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a HP writer and have read in the instruction manual,  never to use
lens
> cleaner that rely on rotating brush.

Thanks for the reply, unfortuneatly someone on another group has told me
they use
the rotating brushes and find they work well so I'm still not sure what to
do.

Anyone else want to venture an opinion.

TIA

Divine

Drive Maintenance Tips

Post by John Wol » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On burners there is a focusing lens sometimes as part of the laser, some
models separate. Brushes can cause misalignment. A gentle burst of nitrogen
or compressed air should be enough to clean the dust off.

> > I have a HP writer and have read in the instruction manual,  never to
use
> lens
> > cleaner that rely on rotating brush.

> Thanks for the reply, unfortuneatly someone on another group has told me
> they use
> the rotating brushes and find they work well so I'm still not sure what to
> do.

> Anyone else want to venture an opinion.

> TIA

> Divine

Drive Maintenance Tips

Post by Tom » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I've seen several sites (I don't have one handy) that post instructions for
cleaning the lens, lubricating the rails etc for various cdwriters.  All
indicate it is a delicate process but do-able. Be advised that they all
involve disassembly of the writer and void any warranty.

I wouldn't recommend trying it unless the writer is out of warranty and
doesn't work.  Professional repairs on a writer seem to run about 2/3rds of
the cost of a new one.  So if it doesnt work you're not risking much.

Good luck.

Quote:

> My drive has been giving me some problems recently which now appear to
have
> fixed themselves but I fear it's reaching the end of it's life. I thought
> bit of maintenance might help prolong it's life.

> The obvious thing is cleaning the lens. Does anyone have any
recomendations
> on the best method?

> I'm never too sure about these cleaning discs (with brushes on the
> underside) as I worry that a fast spinning brush might scratch the lens
but
> the alternative of opening the drive up might just allow more dust to get
> inside. Any advice appreciated?

> I've heard mentions of lubricating the rails, is this just necessary on
some
> models or is it valid as a general maintenance tip? If so, how do I go
about
> doing it (what sort of lubricant etc)?

> Does anyone have any other maintenance tips?

> TIA,

> Divine

1. Tips for buying CD rom drive

Hi

I need a drive for fast audiograbbing.
I thaught of buying a PLEXTOR 32X. But I know that it has a very bad
Error correction.
And I just read something about problems with reading CDRs.

who can tell me something about that??

--
Butcher

ICQ: 18383824

2. Speed measurment

3. CDR Maintenance

4. CFP - ISCI 2000

5. Preventative maintenance HELP pls

6. Please help (problems with homepage)!!!

7. tip req'd re drive letter

8. Quadra video and 19" color monitor

9. Burning CD's With IDE Hard Drive Tip

10. CD Writer Maintenance/Cleaning

11. Bruning CD's With IDE Hard Drive Tip

12. Vehicle Maintenance Tracking and Scheduling Program