Turning out coasters when copying CDs

Post by Bob Jon » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:59:38

I have a Pacific Digital Mach52 CDRW, running Nero and Clone CD. The
PC is an AMD K6-166 with 64MB of RAM. I've also got a 32X Teac CDROM
drive.

I can burn music and data discs OK, but when I try to copy CDs using
Nero or Clone CD, I frequently get errors and an aborted job. Even
when the process finishes successfully, I often get music CDs with
glitches in them. Clone CD doesn't report errors, it just turns out
bad discs.

This occurs no matter whether I put the source disc in the CDROM and
blank in the CDRW, or just swap the source and blank from the CDRW
alone.

How can I fix this problem?

Turning out coasters when copying CDs

Post by XPG » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 20:28:26

Quote:> I can burn music and data discs OK, but when I try to copy CDs using
> Nero or Clone CD, I frequently get errors and an aborted job.

Are you copying on the fly??? !!!!

Quote:> Even
> when the process finishes successfully, I often get music CDs with
> glitches in them.

What speed are you using to read and burn?
The Teac 32x was originally designed to read audio at 4x. Later firmwares
allowed to use high speeds but in many cases they weren't reliable enough to
read audio correctly.
You have to detect if those glitches are produced when reading or when
burning. Extract to WAV, never on the fly.

Quote:> This occurs no matter whether I put the source disc in the CDROM and
> blank in the CDRW, or just swap the source and blank from the CDRW
> alone.

OK. I hadn't read this.
Anyway, check if the glitches are in the image before burning.

Quote:> How can I fix this problem?

If the problem is reading audio, then use good ripping programs, like EAC.
Nero and CloneCD don't report errors when reading audio.

If the problem is writing you have to test the discs in different drives.
Are those glitches also read in your CDROM? or only in the audio player?
Maybe the CDRs you're using aren't very good...

Post by Steve Marshal » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:25:15

Quote:> How can I fix this problem?

Check the disks are clean & scratch-free. A finger print in the wrong place
can mess up your copy.

Steve M

1. turning working audio CD into Coaster

Hi Folks,

I seem to have a bit of a problem, in that my "friend" is "borrowing"
(without asking) my CD's and copying them.  I would like to invalidate
one of the CD's he just burned, but would prefer for him to think it
was some media or burning error.  Is there any unobtrusive way to make
an already burned CD invalid?  Maybe re-open a session on it or
something like that?  I don't want anything that is physically obvious.

I know it's pretty pathetic to resort to something like this, but
stealing CD's from my room isn't that spectacular either, especially
after I expressly told him not to.  I guess everythings under lock and
key now.

Thanks

2. Epson Stylus 500

3. Direct CD 3.0 turns CDR media into coasters

4. Spreading OS/2 !

5. Turn RCD's into coasters, it's EASY 7 FUN!

6. WAN Networking

7. How to turn copy protection off in Nero?

8. How do the plus signs work in explorer?

9. Help!? Coaster after Coaster.....

10. Help!? Coaster after Coaster......

11. Coaster or not coaster

12. I need a clue: CD/W drop outs ( Adaptec )

13. Pin outs for SB16 to Mitsumi 4x CD-ROM?