Is anybody else getting 1800kb/sec transfer rate..?

Is anybody else getting 1800kb/sec transfer rate..?

Post by Eli » Mon, 13 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Obviously somethings wrong here . HELP..!

We are using the october release of the win 95 drivers for teac cd55a the
problem is when using various benchmarks is that the transfer rate peaks
sometimes at 15000kb/sec .

We are also having problems with teac and Gus sound card, the sound hangs
and or choppy.

The cd rom is connected to the Teac 16 bit interface card with address 2C0

the dam manual doesn't specify how to change the addresses on the card.

If anybody has a solution pls.Email or post the answer to this weird
problem..

Thanx in advance .

Maybe together we can solve all the probelms out there because Obviously
Teac wont.

Elie.

Is anybody else getting 1800kb/sec transfer rate..?

Post by David Stoke » Tue, 14 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> We are using the october release of the win 95 drivers for teac cd55a the
> problem is when using various benchmarks is that the transfer rate peaks
> sometimes at 15000kb/sec .

This is most likely something to do with the fact that you have a disk cache such as Smartdrv running. Where Smartdrv
effectively speeds up hard drives by 'predicting' what will be seeked next and doing it when the computer is idle, the same is
done with CD-ROM. If the benchmarking program has not taken account of this, it will report abnormally fast transfer times. If
you do have a cache running, disable it in the AUTOEXEC.BAT or the CONFIG.SYS file and run the program again.

Quote:> We are also having problems with teac and Gus sound card, the sound hangs
> and or choppy.

More information is required concerning this. I own a GUS, and I have encountered many problems and solved them.
What programs are you trying to run with sound? Do they support the GUS or only Soundblaster? What are the DMA and
IRQ settings (go into SETGUS to find out)?

Note that many CD-ROMs automatically determine the address set on the interface card.

Dave

1. UltraPlex Wide only gives 560k/sec transfer rates?

I installed a new UltraPlex Wide (40X) onto my Adaptec 2940UW SCSI Card.
Installed the new Plextor Manager software and ran the system tests in
Easy CD Creator Deluxe 3.01 d.  It reports that for SMALL files, this
drive can only transfer at 560k/second and large files at 2048k/sec.  I
know my UltraPlex32 which I HAD (replaced it with this drive) was faster
than that.  I have a suspicion it's either related to my SCSI card
settings or the Plextor Manager software.  Since neither Plextor gives
you the card settings and neither does Adaptec, I'm not sure what
settings to change.  (I do remember that when I got my UltraPlex 32 that
if I left the settings at the default of 20MB/sec and Enable Wide
Negotion that the drive performed horribly.  Adaptec had me change them
to 10MB/sec and disable wide negotion and that helped).  However, this
drive SHOULD be able to do 40MB/sec and Wide negotion should be enabled,
which is what the card is currently at.  This is the only device on the
"wide" portion of the controller.  On the "narrow" portion, I've got my
plextor 4/12 recorder and a Seagate 4.1GB HD.

Any suggestions?  I don't really want to call Adaptec and wait on hold
for 1 hour only to be berated by tech support (last time the guy bitched
me out for leaving the card on what he considered to be the default
settings.  When I read to him the default settings from the manual, he
shut up a bit, but still . . .)

==Kevin

2. New Euro-Currency Sign

3. Creative Hex Speed Data Transfer Rate and Access Rate

4. (no subject)

5. Smart 100X CD-Rom w/ 16.6 MB/Sec Transfer

6. Meta-Tag http-equiv, FrontPage97 + Netscape, Intranet/Localhost

7. 7Mb/sec transfer for a SCSI-PCI card is it fast enough for 4x8 CD-R?

8. IKE/IPSEC question(s) for jason

9. Does the Spectrum 16 support 3x 450k/sec CD Xfer rates?

10. Nero: Getting rid of 2 sec gaps..

11. Anyone gotten > 450kb/sec with TEAC 55a?

12. Plextor Ultraplex data transfer rate problem solved.

13. Philips3610 transfer rate