Capricious CDR and CDRom

Post by Paulo » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:19:00

Dear All

I have installed on my computer a CDR. After my disastrous
installation, my CDRom ceased to work and the CDR has never worked. I
think that all connections are done correctly, however both devices
(CDR and CDRom) do not work. I have tried all configurations of the
jumpers master and slave... and nothing has improved. Surprisingly,
now the HDD light is always on. Notwithstanding, I can turn off the
HDD light, if I very slightly unplug the connections of the IDE cable
(without unplugging them completely). The most intriguing fact is that
if I uninstall the CDR and I leave installed the CDRom as before the
installation of the CDR, the CDRom does not work. Could somebody here
please help me domesticating my capricious CDR and CDRom? Oops... My
OS is Windows2000.

Thank you a lot in advance!

Paulo

Capricious CDR and CDRom

Post by Kenn » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:08:39

Which IDE channel are they on and do you have only one HDD?  If either is on
same Primary IDE as HDD that one will need to be set as Slave.  If both are
on Secondary IDE set one as Master, the other as Slave.  If only one on
Secondary IDE set as Master.

--

Kenny

Quote:> Dear All

> I have installed on my computer a CDR. After my disastrous
> installation, my CDRom ceased to work and the CDR has never worked. I
> think that all connections are done correctly, however both devices
> (CDR and CDRom) do not work. I have tried all configurations of the
> jumpers master and slave... and nothing has improved. Surprisingly,
> now the HDD light is always on. Notwithstanding, I can turn off the
> HDD light, if I very slightly unplug the connections of the IDE cable
> (without unplugging them completely). The most intriguing fact is that
> if I uninstall the CDR and I leave installed the CDRom as before the
> installation of the CDR, the CDRom does not work. Could somebody here
> please help me domesticating my capricious CDR and CDRom? Oops... My
> OS is Windows2000.

> Thank you a lot in advance!

> Paulo

Capricious CDR and CDRom

Post by MJP » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:15:10

Quote:> Dear All

> I have installed on my computer a CDR. After my disastrous
> installation, my CDRom ceased to work and the CDR has never worked. I
> think that all connections are done correctly, however both devices
> (CDR and CDRom) do not work. I have tried all configurations of the
> jumpers master and slave... and nothing has improved. Surprisingly,
> now the HDD light is always on. Notwithstanding, I can turn off the
> HDD light, if I very slightly unplug the connections of the IDE cable
> (without unplugging them completely). The most intriguing fact is that
> if I uninstall the CDR and I leave installed the CDRom as before the
> installation of the CDR, the CDRom does not work. Could somebody here
> please help me domesticating my capricious CDR and CDRom? Oops... My
> OS is Windows2000.

Unplugging IDE cables with power on is not recommended, I speak from painful
and costly experience.

The HDD light remaining continuously lit may indicate a cable incorrectly
aligned, i.e. plugged in the wrong way round.

Have you entered the BIOS and set the IDE channels to AUTO?

MJP

---

Capricious CDR and CDRom

Post by Slump » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:50:13

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Paulo S continued:

Quote:> Dear All

> I have installed on my computer a CDR. After my disastrous
> installation, my CDRom ceased to work and the CDR has never worked. I
> think that all connections are done correctly, however both devices
> (CDR and CDRom) do not work. I have tried all configurations of the
> jumpers master and slave... and nothing has improved. Surprisingly,
> now the HDD light is always on. Notwithstanding, I can turn off the
> HDD light, if I very slightly unplug the connections of the IDE cable
> (without unplugging them completely). The most intriguing fact is that
> if I uninstall the CDR and I leave installed the CDRom as before the
> installation of the CDR, the CDRom does not work. Could somebody here
> please help me domesticating my capricious CDR and CDRom? Oops... My
> OS is Windows2000.

To be honest I would get someone who knows /exactly/ what they are doing to
look at it - if you are pulling IDE cables out with the machine running, you
are not the person to trust with explicit instructions.
--
slumpy
no more

Capricious CDR and CDRom

Post by Shep » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 02:18:58

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:50:13 +0100, Whilst playing Smegball with the

Quote:>"So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
>threw back my head and roared with laughter as Paulo S continued:

>> Dear All

>> I have installed on my computer a CDR. After my disastrous
>> installation, my CDRom ceased to work and the CDR has never worked. I
>> think that all connections are done correctly, however both devices
>> (CDR and CDRom) do not work. I have tried all configurations of the
>> jumpers master and slave... and nothing has improved. Surprisingly,
>> now the HDD light is always on. Notwithstanding, I can turn off the
>> HDD light, if I very slightly unplug the connections of the IDE cable
>> (without unplugging them completely). The most intriguing fact is that
>> if I uninstall the CDR and I leave installed the CDRom as before the
>> installation of the CDR, the CDRom does not work. Could somebody here
>> please help me domesticating my capricious CDR and CDRom? Oops... My
>> OS is Windows2000.

>To be honest I would get someone who knows /exactly/ what they are doing to
>look at it - if you are pulling IDE cables out with the machine running, you
>are not the person to trust with explicit instructions.

Ditto:
Could cost a lot more just messing around blindly :O

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

Capricious CDR and CDRom

Post by Paul - xx » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 02:32:24

Paulo S deftly scribbled:

Quote:> Notwithstanding, I can turn off the
> HDD light, if I very slightly unplug the connections of the IDE cable
> (without unplugging them completely)

If you're doing this kind of thing, I'd suggest you've probably fried
something on the motherboard, the ide channels and any or all devices that
connect to them .. ;)

--
...................................Paul-xxx

Capricious CDR and CDRom

Post by Paulo » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 02:39:53

> > Dear All

> > I have installed on my computer a CDR. After my disastrous
> > installation, my CDRom ceased to work and the CDR has never worked. I
> > think that all connections are done correctly, however both devices
> > (CDR and CDRom) do not work. I have tried all configurations of the
> > jumpers master and slave... and nothing has improved. Surprisingly,
> > now the HDD light is always on. Notwithstanding, I can turn off the
> > HDD light, if I very slightly unplug the connections of the IDE cable
> > (without unplugging them completely). The most intriguing fact is that
> > if I uninstall the CDR and I leave installed the CDRom as before the
> > installation of the CDR, the CDRom does not work. Could somebody here
> > please help me domesticating my capricious CDR and CDRom? Oops... My
> > OS is Windows2000.
> The HDD light remaining continuously lit may indicate a cable incorrectly
> aligned, i.e. plugged in the wrong way round.

MJP was absolutely right! Thank you very much indeed! The cable was
plugged in the wrong way round. Now, both the CDR than the CDRom are
perfectly working on my computer.

I would like also to thank everybody who tried to help me!

Paulo

1. CDR <> CDR ok but CDROM <> CDROM

Is it possible that there are CDR-media on the market that when it is
written by a CDR can be read in the one cdromdrive but not in another brand

I've the next trouble :
I've written a cdrom with my ricoh 1420 and when i put it in my cdromdrive
(Creative Quad speed). Everything works fine.
When i playing it in the drive of my colleguea the cd-drive (philips 5x)
gives an error and reads nothing. another CD-drive (funai) reads the root
and when i try to go in a subdir everything crashes.

Audio cd => same trouble, the most cd-players play it but the player (some
chinese brand) constantly falls over the tracks.

Does anybody know a solution for this trouble

2. PASSWORD

3. Mashita CDR CW-7503 SCSI CdRom Device burning at half speed in Win XP Pro

4. Looking for `Magic' rebooter box for 'phone line..

5. Mashita CDR CW-7503 SCSI CdRom

6. Where does *shell* get its $TERM variable?

7. CDR vs CDROM reliability

8. Deuteros

9. CDrom drive isn't reading CDR

10. need a good tech book on CDROM/CDR

11. Cdrom not reading Cdr's?

12. No more Drivers for my CDR-CDROM And ZIP (Win98)!!!!!

13. Plextor CDrom/CDR @ CDRwin3.7