CDROM drive not refreshing file listing when disc changes - help!

CDROM drive not refreshing file listing when disc changes - help!

Post by Warren Ern » Sun, 22 May 1994 05:18:16

We have a fairly old NEC cd-rom drive hooked up into an Adaptec SCSI
card. The problem appears when the CD ROM disc itself is ejected and then
replaced with another one. When you do a DIRectory listing, the files
from the FIRST disk appear on the screen. We can even change directories
and we can list the file on the first disk, even though we see the light
wink on and off implying the second disc is being read.

Any suggestions? Thanx

Virtually,
Warr

-  Computer Consultant, Tech Writer, Graphic Artist, Nerd
-                   "Will write for food..."
- "Writing; it's not just a career, it's a lifestyle choice."

Post by Irene Calla » Sat, 21 May 1994 22:37:35

> We have a fairly old NEC cd-rom drive hooked up into an Adaptec SCSI
> card. The problem appears when the CD ROM disc itself is ejected and then
> replaced with another one. When you do a DIRectory listing, the files
> from the FIRST disk appear on the screen. We can even change directories
> and we can list the file on the first disk, even though we see the light
> wink on and off implying the second disc is being read.

> Any suggestions? Thanx

> Virtually,
> Warr

> -  Computer Consultant, Tech Writer, Graphic Artist, Nerd
> -                   "Will write for food..."
> - "Writing; it's not just a career, it's a lifestyle choice."

I don't know if this will help or not, but an article in PC Mag or PC
Computing (sorry - I don't remember which one) has a fix for floppy drives
with this problem.  Here's what they said:

"Every floppy drive contains a mechanism called a change line that allows
DOS to sense when a disk is removed.  You know that the drive's change line
has gone bad if you type DIR to display a disk directory and see the same
directory listing after you remove the disk, insert another, and type DIR
again.

"If you come across a floppy drive with a defective change line, you can
fix it with a simple DOS command.  Add the following line to CONFIG.SYS:

"DRIVPARM=/D:drive /H:2 /S:sectors /T:80

"Substitute a number identifying the drive for _drive_ (0=A, 1=B, and so
on).  For a 720K drive, substitute 9 for _sectors_; for a 1.44MB drive,
substitute 18.  This command alters the parameter table set up for the
drive and fools DOS into believing that the change line is no longer there.
DOS will ignore the change line and the drive will work properly again."

Obviously, a CD-ROM drive is not a floppy drive, but this may give you some
clues as to what's going on with your CD-ROM drive.  Hope it helps.

irene

CDROM drive not refreshing file listing when disc changes - help!

Post by CraigDa » Tue, 12 Jul 1994 08:28:03

but the problem might be the disc sensor much like a floppy disk sensor.
If the drive doesn't know the disk has been changed it wont update the
file listing.?.?!!! A drive will read if a disk has been taken out and put
back in and I could be reading items other than the FAT table.

Just a suggestion? Hope I helped!