Roxio is a LIAR (sparing)(i)

Post by smh » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:01:33

.             ----------------------------
              Roxio is a LIAR (sparing)(i)
              ----------------------------

           DirectCD for Windows Technical FAQs
   http://www.roxio.com/en/support/dcdwin/dcdwinfaqs.html

        " In practical terms, you will probably
               never wear out a CD-RW disc.     "

The above is a LIE, according to none other than a cRoxio Shill:

======================
From:    Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Subject: Re: Does anyone rely on DirectCD for multi-session backups?
Date:    2/6/02

> I would appreciate an indication of the background as to
> why you consider that the *format* of fixed-length packets is not
> reliable

There are several reasons, but one predominates. When you remove a
fixed-length packet disc after having written anything to it, the
directory information is written back from RAM. That means that at least
portions of the disc are "scrubbed" - rewritten many times. The disc is
supposed to tolerate 1000 cycles, but in fact read accuracy goes down
continuously with erase cycles and the 1000 number seems absurdly
optimistic from the experience of most.
======================

               --------------------------
               cRoxio, Eat Your Heart Out !!!
               --------------------------

1. Roxio is a LIAR (sparing)(iii)

.             ------------------------------
              Roxio is a LIAR (sparing)(iii)
              ------------------------------

From:    Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Subject: Re: Packet writing software for Windows XP
Date:    8/13/02

The effective lifetime of the disc is better measured in ejections than
in erase cycles.

Despite specification numbers of the order of a thousand cycles,
experience has suggested a practical limit at least an order of
magnitude less.
=====================

With a Shill like this, cRoxio doesn't need any critics!

                --------------------------
                cRoxio, Eat Your Heart Out !!!
                --------------------------

2. Use of type-cast of form type(...)

3. Roxio is a LIAR (sparing)(vi)

4. FS : 320LX + extras $300

5. Roxio is a LIAR (sparing)(v)

6. Weird: terminal eating transparent printer codes

7. Roxio is a LIAR (sparing)(iv)

8. Legacy systems integration

9. Roxio is a LIAR (sparing)(ii)

10. Roxio is a LIAR (sparing)(viii)