AHA-2940U2W + Ricoh 6200S = Easy CD Creator Crash Crash Crash

AHA-2940U2W + Ricoh 6200S = Easy CD Creator Crash Crash Crash

Post by Chris Denslo » Sun, 12 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I just replaced my 2940UW with a 2940U2W and now Easy CD Creator and CD
Copier do not work.  They crash all the time.  Putting the UW adaptor back
in fixes the problem, but I need the U2W for the new hard drive I plan to
buy.  Anyone else have any similiar problems with this adaptor and/or
advice.  Don't say it is termination because I tried that all ready.

    CD

AHA-2940U2W + Ricoh 6200S = Easy CD Creator Crash Crash Crash

Post by Traber Campbel » Mon, 13 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I'm not exactly sure why you need Ultra2 for a workstation in the first
place.  By most accounts, Ultra Wide is plenty fast for most individuals.
Besides, Ultra2 drives are bound to be more expensive than regular Ultra
Wide drives.  Do you honestly believe the slight performance gain is worth
buying a new SCSI card and more expensive drive?

I know this skirts the original problem a bit, but why fix something that
ain't broke.  What drive are you planning to get anyway?

-Traber

--On Saturday, April 11, 1998, 9:57 PM -0700 "Chris Denslow"

> I just replaced my 2940UW with a 2940U2W and now Easy CD Creator and CD
> Copier do not work.  They crash all the time.  Putting the UW adaptor back
> in fixes the problem, but I need the U2W for the new hard drive I plan to
> buy.  Anyone else have any similiar problems with this adaptor and/or
> advice.  Don't say it is termination because I tried that all ready.

>     CD

AHA-2940U2W + Ricoh 6200S = Easy CD Creator Crash Crash Crash

Post by kham.. » Mon, 13 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>I just replaced my 2940UW with a 2940U2W and now Easy CD Creator and CD
>Copier do not work.  They crash all the time.  Putting the UW adaptor back
>in fixes the problem, but I need the U2W for the new hard drive I plan to
>buy.  Anyone else have any similiar problems with this adaptor and/or
>advice.  Don't say it is termination because I tried that all ready.

Have you checked the dma transfer rates under both cards bioses
via control A?  Maybe the U2W is set too fast.

Another thing to think about is to use both cards in the computer
at once.  You might need to disable the bios on one and you'd
definitely need different irq, dma, and address for each card.
I've got 2 scsi cards in my machine now and both work fine
but one has no bios.

Just my 2 cents :)

Kevin

1. PlexWriter with Adaptec 2940U2W causes Win98/95 to crash

Hi, I'm wondering if someone could help me.  I've got a new computer
with an Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI adapter, and whenever I try to access my
external Plextor PlexWriter CD-R within Win98, the system either crashes
right away, or freezes a few minutes later.  I've tried using Adaptec Easy
CD Creator and Adaptec CD Copier Deluxe.

I installed EZ-SCSI 4.03, and upgraded it to EZ-SCSI 5.0.  I've upgraded
the 2940U2W's BIOS firmware from 2.00.0 to 2.00.1.  I installed the
PlexManager 96 that came with the CD-R, and upgraded it to 1.67.  I've
upgraded the ASPI to 4.57.  I've upgraded the PlexWriter's firmware to
1.04.  I've tinkered with the CD-R's settings in Windows and the BIOS
settings for the 2940U2W.  I even switched from Win98 back to Win95, but
the problem still persists.

I'm usually able to successfully do a "dir" of the CD-R from a DOS window
in Win98/95.  I'm able to execute a few simple commands accessing the
CD-R when booted up under DOS using DOS ASPI drivers.

I've also got an internal Plextor UltraPlex CD-ROM on the same cable as
the CD-R (it's an internal 50-pin to external 50-pin cable), and the
CD-ROM works fine.  The CD-R is terminated by its builtin DIP switch
setting.

Plextor's phone tech support said this is a known problem with the 2940U2W,
and that it currently doesn't work right with the PlexWriter.  They said
I need to talk to Adaptec and see if they have a fix.  They said it must
be the 2940U2W, because the PlexWriter DOES work correctly for the 2940U.

Adaptec's phone tech support said there isn't any known problem with the
2940U2W, and it sounds like it's a problem with the CD-R.  When I told
them that the CD-R is reported to work with the 2940U, the guy was
surprised and said "Then it doesn't sound like a problem with the CD-R."
He suggested I switch from Win98 to Win95 (Adaptec does not support Win98).
However, Win95 experiences the same problem -- I tried.

Seems to me like I'm getting the run-around.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this problem?
Please help -- I've got a $650 CD-R and a $370 SCSI card that don't
like each other. :(

Here's the rest of my system for reference.

Intel PentiumII 400MHz
Abit BX6 Motherboard Intel 440BX Chip Set, AGP2 slot, PCI/ISA, 128MB SDRAM
Adaptec AHA-2940U2W Ultra2 SCSI PCI Adapter
Seagate Cheetah9LP 9.1GB 10000RPM Ultra2 SCSI Hard Drive
Plextor PX-32CSi UltraPlex Internal Ultra SCSI CD-ROM
Plextor PX-R412Ce/SW PlexWriter External SCSI2 CD-R
ATI All-In-Wonder Pro AGP 2x Graphics Card with 8MB RAM
Creative Labs Sound Blaster PCI64 Sound Card

Thanks in advance.
/mel

2. MSXML and IE5

3. easy cd creator 4 crashes on Add

4. How to collect ILS stats

5. Easy CD Creator 3.01 upgrade pgm crashes

6. login.krb5 steals SIGHUP

7. Easy CD Creator Crash After Update

8. Project 2000

9. mewbie - easy cd creator crash!!!!

10. Help! Corel CD Creator crashing

11. Easy-CD Pro 2.1 crash problem Help

12. CD Creator crashes - HELP

13. Direct CD 2.0a w/NT 4.0 and Ricoh 6200A- blue screen crash