Ricoh 6200 CDRW not erasing CDRW (ECDC 'erases', but not erased)

Ricoh 6200 CDRW not erasing CDRW (ECDC 'erases', but not erased)

Post by Gregory L Pri » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00

first, let me start off by saying that i have burned a couple CDR's
which work just fine (2 good, 1 coaster), so the basic 6200 hardware
probably works fine (unless there is separate erasing hardware than
just for writing). also, this IS a cdrw disc, and is the one which
came with my mediamaster kit.

this is a long post, because i have tried to include everything that i
know into it to try to eliminate some amount of guesswork. relavent
hardware/firmware/software/etc info is at the end. i have not tried
directcd yet, as i am using nt4.0.

my problem is that  programs such as cdtools and nero give hardware
error messages when trying to erase my cdrw disc(cdtools' error was
'bad medium detected'). easy cd creator _thinks_ that it erases the
cdrw fine, but actually does not, as when i try to write something to
the disk (with ecdc), i get a 'unfixated session' error. if i try to
'fix' it, it errors out, saying that the attempt to fix the disc
failed; if i ignore it, it starts to write, then gives a couple errors
(d0100 05/c6/01 requested address out of range, t1705 trackwriter
error, invalid description for source file) [this is when writing a
single 48k file].

i have tried both quick and full erases in ecdc (the quick takes ~2:21
according to its timer, and the full starts out estimating 3:09, but
then when it gets to 1:55 only takes a few seconds and then ejects the
disc w/o error). i have tried erasing and writing multiple times (at
least once i got an underrun error, but see below as to why that did
not seem to do my hardware)

i have also tried cdtools' option to finalize a session, to see if
this would fix the 'unfixated session' problem, but it returned with
'close session failed' error.

this disc did seem to work yesterday, with erasing, etc. i was writing
stuff to it to see if my various pc's could read a cdrw or not (they
cannot, it seems, but oh well), trying various iterations of joliet or
iso9660, or closing the disc after writing the session, or dao, or...

the disc (currently) looks like a partially written cdr: approximately

2/3 of the disc (inside portion of the radius) is of a slightly darker
tint than the outside portion. 'erasing' the disc in ecdc does nothing
to change this color, which worried me. if it changed to this state
because of writing, then erasing should make it completely solid (a
coworker stated that his does not look like a partially-burned cdr,
tint-wise). this i think is odd. the disc does say 'cd-rw' on it, and
the die/substrate is a silver/gray color.

at one point, the ricoh did not 'like' the cdrw, and it just flashed
green/orange when inserted. cycling power on the pc fixed this.

is there some way that this disc was mistaken to be a cdr by my ricoh,
or  could soemthing be wrong with my drive (i bought it two days ago,
so i have 8 days left to take it back), or....?

i saw on tom's ricoh page (i think) that uv light could maybe be used?
i have an eprom eraser at home - could this work (any suggestions for
time, distance from bulb, etc)?

my hardware/software/firmware specifics:
cdrw drive:
ricoh 6200s: firmware 2.03 (came that way), revision 'f', mfg'd 11/97

software:
easy cd creator v3.01 (updated from 3.0 (055) with adaptec's standard
update).
also tried: nero v3.0 demo and cdtools - both gave errors when trying
to erase

os:
nt4.0 server, with service patch 3

hardware:
pc : ncr s-26 server (decent sized server - 256m ram, dual ppro, mylex
dac960 scsi, etc) - this server is currently low usage, and should not
have any problem keeping up with a 300k/s burn.

the drive has its own adaptec 7880, which i updated the drivers for,
from adaptec's site (this morning). i have brought the max sync
transfer rate from 20.0 to 10.0 (as suggested on tom's troubleshooting
page), and enabled disconnects.

[i have 2 unused adaptec 2944's on the system as well, if that
matters]
greg priem                         kb0erz

bark, fido, bark [neither of us speak for my employer]

Ricoh 6200 CDRW not erasing CDRW (ECDC 'erases', but not erased)

Post by R.Pano » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I'm having exactly the same problem as you, I'm still waiting for some answers
but my guess is that the cdrw disc is defective, althought mine worked
for a while, I've tried a new sonny cdrw that gave the sane exact error.
so now I'm not very sure on wether it is still a mater of bad media, or maybe
something is wrong with the drive, I hope not ! it does burn normal cdr just
fine, please let me know if you get some answers-Thanks.
R.Panossian

Quote:>first, let me start off by saying that i have burned a couple CDR's
>which work just fine (2 good, 1 coaster), so the basic 6200 hardware
>probably works fine (unless there is separate erasing hardware than
>just for writing). also, this IS a cdrw disc, and is the one which
>came with my mediamaster kit.

..

Post by bjsl.. » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>I'm having exactly the same problem as you, I'm still waiting for some answers
>but my guess is that the cdrw disc is defective, althought mine worked
>for a while, I've tried a new sonny cdrw that gave the sane exact error.
>so now I'm not very sure on wether it is still a mater of bad media, or maybe
>something is wrong with the drive, I hope not ! it does burn normal cdr just
>fine, please let me know if you get some answers-Thanks.
>R.Panossian

>>first, let me start off by saying that i have burned a couple CDR's
>>which work just fine (2 good, 1 coaster), so the basic 6200 hardware
>>probably works fine (unless there is separate erasing hardware than
>>just for writing). also, this IS a cdrw disc, and is the one which
>>came with my mediamaster kit.

>..

The new 3.01 software has a seperate icon to erase discs.  If you
tried to burn a disc that contains multiple sessions, you may not be
able to erase it completely.  You need to read the FAQ or the manual
that came with the software earlier than 3.01 regarding this.
Otherwise, download the upgrade and use the dedicated erase function.
It works fine with the 1.20 firmware.

Ricoh 6200 CDRW not erasing CDRW (ECDC 'erases', but not erased)

Post by Gregory L Pri » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

looks like this did not get through the first time...

>The new 3.01 software has a seperate icon to erase discs.  If you
>tried to burn a disc that contains multiple sessions, you may not be
>able to erase it completely.  You need to read the FAQ or the manual
>that came with the software earlier than 3.01 regarding this.
>Otherwise, download the upgrade and use the dedicated erase function.
>It works fine with the 1.20 firmware.

the followup to my post was trimmed of the details, so i am not sure
that you saw it. in it, i said that i did try ecdc's full and quick
erase features, and that they seemed to work, but no writing could be
done, because of the disc being unfixated. other tools gave errors
when trying to erase the disc (nero 3.0 demo & cdtools). the ricoh has
firmware 2.03, and was bought that way 3 days ago.

there was not a manual which came with the software - it is the
bundled ecdc 3.0, which i upgraded to 3.01 (so i do not have a version
prior to 3.0 to use, if that is what was suggested). i read tom's
ricoh pages, as well as looking at adaptec's sight for the listserv
archives, and did not find out too much information.

i did see a post saying that if the disc was closed, there was some
way to "reopen" it in ecdc, before erasing would work. any details on
that would be appreciated. also, there was information on using
directcd's eject & reload, but, alas, this is running nt4.0.

If there is some faq or other online information that i have missed,
please let me know. i now have 7 days in which i can return it, and
that is what i intend to do if i cannot trust its cdrw ability. [i
have seen plenty of posts of people thrilled with this burner, but if
it does not work for me...]

tnx
greg priem                         kb0erz

bark, fido, bark [neither of us speak for my employer]

Ricoh 6200 CDRW not erasing CDRW (ECDC 'erases', but not erased)

Post by Maurice van der We » Mon, 08 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>the disc (currently) looks like a partially written cdr: approximately
>2/3 of the disc (inside portion of the radius) is of a slightly darker
>tint than the outside portion. 'erasing' the disc in ecdc does nothing
>to change this color, which worried me.

I seem to have a problem similar to yours. When I first got my drive
(2.03 firmware) last week, I bought a Philips rewritable CD with it.

When I tried copying a CD with Easy CD Pro 95 2.11c, I got a buffer
underrun after about 60 MB. So I did some tweaking of my system, did a
Quick Erase on the CD-RW (which worked perfectly) and tried again.

The second time, I got an error when the copying of the data track was
done and it was supposed to start copying the first audio track.

It looks like this second error rendered the CD-RW unusable, because
whenever I insert it into my Ricoh MP6200S, the led starts to flash
quickly, alternating between orange and green (some kind of error
indicator I guess).

I cannot erase the disc anymore and it also looks like a partially
written CD-R (dark-colored about 1/3 from the inside of the disc).

I have since burned about a dozen regular CD-R's without any problems.

Has anyone else seen this kind of problem? And is it still possible to
save my CD-RW disc? Or can I only use it as a very expensive coaster
now? :-)

Thanks,
Maurice van der Werf.

Ricoh 6200 CDRW not erasing CDRW (ECDC 'erases', but not erased)

Post by Mike Richte » Mon, 08 Dec 1997 04:00:00

One solution was offered here some time ago. Since I have not
encountered the problem, I haven't tried it. As I recall:

1) Insert an erasable.
2) Open ECDC or another s/w package with erase capability.
3) Get to the screen with Erase oprion
4) Swap the blank for the problem disc
5) Click OK to erase.

No guarantees, as I say, but it shouldn't hurt.

Mike

--

http://mrichter.simplenet.com
CD-R http://resource.simplenet.com

Ricoh 6200 CDRW not erasing CDRW (ECDC 'erases', but not erased)

Post by Ray Higgin » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Has anyone else seen this kind of problem?

yes me :-<

Quote:>And is it still possible to
>save my CD-RW disc?

well for me it was :->
all programs (including gear)apart from one detected my cd-rw as bad
media or failed to read it completly, the only program that allowed me
to format/erase the cd again was jeff arnolds cdr for windows.

--
Ray Higgins

Post by Martin Eva » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>> It looks like this second error rendered the CD-RW unusable, because
>> whenever I insert it into my Ricoh MP6200S, the led starts to flash
>> quickly, alternating between orange and green (some kind of error
>> indicator I guess).

>> I cannot erase the disc anymore and it also looks like a partially
>> written CD-R (dark-colored about 1/3 from the inside of the disc).

>> I have since burned about a dozen regular CD-R's without any problems.

>> Has anyone else seen this kind of problem? And is it still possible to
>> save my CD-RW disc? Or can I only use it as a very expensive coaster
>> now? :-)

>same thing.  He says:

>=> Just expose them to high levels of uv light (either a pcb exposure
>=> unit or a sun bed) and they will erase ok. I've had a few discs now
>=> that wouldn't erase properly if i screwed up at the mastering stage (I
>=> was getting Gear RW up and running) They have all recovered to be
>=> reusable after a 10-20 min exposure.

Just to clarify this further. The exposure to UV enables a disc that
was trashed during an aborted write that is deemed uneraseable by Gear
RW to be conventionally erased (using Gear's erase function)
I have not actually erased a disc that I positively know has valid
readable data purely with UV just yet.

Post by Gregory L Pri » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

looks like this did not get through the first time...

Hmm.. not sure if this would have worked or not for me, as ECDC
allowed me to select the erase option. [it just did not actually erase
it, but counted down for a minute or two, and then the counter zoomed
to 0 secs remaining] other software tried to erase and came back with
errors.

i DID get this puppy to erase, and am posting all the details of what
i did (not sure which parts actually helped, but i am not going to
emit anything, including the normal sacrifice to the scsi gods), in
case it might help someone else, since it sounds like a few other
people have had this type of thing happen to them.

tnx

On Sun, 07 Dec 1997 23:48:47 -0800, Mike Richter

Post by Michael Riesenbe » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

:-> One solution was offered here some time ago. Since I have not
:-> encountered the problem, I haven't tried it. As I recall:
:->
:-> 1) Insert an erasable.
:-> 2) Open ECDC or another s/w package with erase capability.
:-> 3) Get to the screen with Erase oprion
:-> 4) Swap the blank for the problem disc
:-> 5) Click OK to erase.

I tried this with two unusable rw-disks and one would work fine, the other would
give me an "Random Positioning error" error. Is this a coaster or what? (I tried
Jeff Arnolds programs and Togo 4.0)

Michael.

Remove: SPAM_NO_! from email address to reply!

On IRC: ^MR, Michael or ries

Post by Mike Richte » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> :-> One solution was offered here some time ago. Since I have not
> :-> encountered the problem, I haven't tried it. As I recall:
> :->
> :-> 1) Insert an erasable.
> :-> 2) Open ECDC or another s/w package with erase capability.
> :-> 3) Get to the screen with Erase oprion
> :-> 4) Swap the blank for the problem disc
> :-> 5) Click OK to erase.

> I tried this with two unusable rw-disks and one would work fine, the other would
> give me an "Random Positioning error" error. Is this a coaster or what? (I tried
> Jeff Arnolds programs and Togo 4.0)

If it did not work with Jeff's s/w, it won't work. You have a coaster.

Check for physical damage on the disc. Frankly, I keep my erasables in
caddies to minimize just that risk.

Mike

http://mrichter.simplenet.com
CD-R http://resource.simplenet.com

Ricoh 6200 CDRW not erasing CDRW (ECDC 'erases', but not erased)

Post by Michael Riesenbe » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

:-> >

:-> If it did not work with Jeff's s/w, it won't work. You have a coaster.
:->
:-> Check for physical damage on the disc. Frankly, I keep my erasables in
:-> caddies to minimize just that risk.

I did too...

Michael.

Remove: SPAM_NO_! from email address to reply!

On IRC: ^MR, Michael or ries

1. "Solved"!: Ricoh 6200 CDRW not erasing CDRW (ECDC 'erases', but not erased)

looks like this did not get through the first time...

thanks to all who posted in reference to my plea for help.

i was almost ready to try the uv exposure trick to blank the cdrw, but
i did manage to get it erased.

i took notes as to what i did, so i am going to try to put down here
everything that i did. [of course, it is unknown as to what _exactly_
started the disc on the road to redemption, but this might be of some
use for others who are in a similar boat.]

background:
i had tried several programs in the hope that one of them would
actually erase the cdrw i had written to. all of them, except ecdc,
came back with one sort of error or another (ie: "bad medium
detected"). ecdc would allow me to select full or quick erase, and
thought it was doing the erase, but actually did nothing but count
down its timer (~2:20 for quick, ~3:10 for full). physically, the disc
looked similar to a cdr which had been burned to ~2/3 full. disc info
showed 3 tracks in one session, and trying to write more to the disc
yielded the 'unfixated disc' error, which could not be corrected
(tried ecdc & cdtools).

pc: ricoh 6200s (only device on built-in adaptec 7880), dual ppro,
4x4g barracuda (on mylex scsi), 256m ram, nt4.0 server (sp3), etc.

what i eventually decided was that i was just going to keep erasing.
over and over and over and... and perhaps one time it might actually
make a difference. i even started up ez scsi 4.0 lite, and 'unlocked'
the drive. don't know if it made a difference, but...

i also tried directcd (don't ask) format (it went through the whole
progree bar, then came back with a 'medium is not ready 0x8030c00'
error).

i then proceeded with ecdc, and full erase after full erase. after a
couple 3:10 time estimates, i got a 37:20 estimate. after a couple
minutes (ie at about 35:30 remaining), it said it was done. the next
one was a 7:20 estimate. i looked at the disc, and noticed that there
was a new ring on the disc, about 3mm wide, in the outer radius where
the disc had looked 'unburned' before. [this made me pretty excited,
as _something_ was different]. the next 'full' gave a 27:20 estimate
(and took 2 minutes). then i got a '0:00' estimate, with the progress
bar started at 100% done. the program seemed locked up, and the disc
did not eject, so i decided to see how long it would sit there.

guess what? ~37 minutes later, the disc ejected, and, physically, the
disc looked unburned! no rings!

i burned a couple small sessions, did quick erases, looked at the disc
info, and it was if nothing wrong had ever happened!

hopefully, this was a one time deal, but
greg priem                         kb0erz

bark, fido, bark [neither of us speak for my employer]

2. automated dist

3. Help!!! Erasing CDRW in Ricoh 6200

4. Incomplete User List with Windows 9x User-Level Security

5. CD-RW Media - won't Erase CD - How Can I Force it to Erase

6. deleting blocks in Autocad LT

7. CDRW will not erase

8. Help with one dialog box sending commands to another

9. Can't Erase CDRW Disc

10. Can't erase a CDRW? - try this!

11. HP7100 won't erase CDRW any more

12. Strange Problem - Can't Erase CDRW