Urgent Production Problems - Concise, Knowledgeable Advice Appreciated....

Urgent Production Problems - Concise, Knowledgeable Advice Appreciated....

Post by Ken Robso » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:32:20

Hi Folks,

I have looked through Andy McFadden's FAQ's and all the other sources of
information that I could lay my hands on and I still have been unable to
solve the following problem.  We are attempting to burn production software
using various CD-R's and authoring systems.  The CD-R's include a Plextor
PX-124TS, Sony CDX140E, HP82xx, CD-Studio + CDS 6063 4.00 the authoring
software includes EZ-SCSI and CD-Studio.

The images we are burning as ISO-9660 with Rockridge extensions, they are
basically Solaris Jumpstart installs.  No matter what combination of Media
(tried everything under the sun), burner and media we use when we run the
Solaris install we always get the error:-

      Error for Command: read  Error level: Retryable
      Requested Block: 96135  Error Block 96135
      Vendor: TEAC    Serial Number:  9  $DR-1
      Sense Key: Media error
      ASC: 0x11 (unrecovered read error), ASCQ: 0x0, FRU: 0x0

This always occurs on the same block (i.e. 96135).  The errors are
consistent across all the writers and media we have tried, however if we
send the image to the States and they burn it using a Young Minds MPS4+ we
have no problem.  Additionally, we always have problems reading in the
TEAC's we are trying to install from but if we try the CD's in much cheaper
IDE drives we can often read them without error.  As this is software to go
to customer sites, we cannot change the CD readers, we need to produce CD's
that relaibly work in the TEAC drives.

Any thoughts or help would be really appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ken.

Post by James Perret » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:16:06

> Hi Folks,

> I have looked through Andy McFadden's FAQ's and all the other sources of
> information that I could lay my hands on and I still have been unable to
> solve the following problem.  We are attempting to burn production software
> using various CD-R's and authoring systems.  The CD-R's include a Plextor
> PX-124TS, Sony CDX140E, HP82xx, CD-Studio + CDS 6063 4.00 the authoring
> software includes EZ-SCSI and CD-Studio.

> The images we are burning as ISO-9660 with Rockridge extensions, they are
> basically Solaris Jumpstart installs.  No matter what combination of Media
> (tried everything under the sun), burner and media we use when we run the
> Solaris install we always get the error:-

>       Error for Command: read  Error level: Retryable
>       Requested Block: 96135  Error Block 96135
>       Vendor: TEAC    Serial Number:  9  $DR-1
>       Sense Key: Media error
>       ASC: 0x11 (unrecovered read error), ASCQ: 0x0, FRU: 0x0

> This always occurs on the same block (i.e. 96135).  The errors are
> consistent across all the writers and media we have tried, however if we
> send the image to the States and they burn it using a Young Minds MPS4+ we
> have no problem.  Additionally, we always have problems reading in the
> TEAC's we are trying to install from but if we try the CD's in much cheaper
> IDE drives we can often read them without error.  As this is software to go
> to customer sites, we cannot change the CD readers, we need to produce CD's
> that relaibly work in the TEAC drives.

> Any thoughts or help would be really appreciated.

> Kind regards,

> Ken.

This is a tough one - we need to eliminate variables as much as
possible. Are the Teac readers the only drives that don't work. Have you
tried using one of your writers to read the disc? Have you tried
checking the discs to see if there really are errors (I'd use CDSpeed on
a Win9X PC with a Plextor Ultraplex reader to start with and then send
it to somewhere with a better checker if the results were inconclusive).

What software are they using in the States? Have you tried the same
software? Get the US people to walk you through their procedure - maybe
they are adding something to the image that you aren't.

Just a few ideas.

James.
*  James Perrett    Ocean Engineering Division                       *
*                   Southampton Oceanography Centre,                 *
*                   Empress Dock, Southampton SO14 3ZH, U.K.         *
*           Phone +44 (0)23 8059 6141, Fax +44 (0)23 8059 6149       *

Urgent Production Problems - Concise, Knowledgeable Advice Appreciated....

Post by Ken Robso » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 00:31:40

Hi Folks,

Sorry for the noise I think I have this one nailed.  I noticed that the ISO
image is 196884480 bytes in size and the error occurs on block 96135.  If we
take the block size to be 2048 bytes then 96135 * 2048 = 196884480 bytes.
This is some kind of boundary condition,  I am now looking at every asepct
of the production process to ascertain what might cause this.  I have
checked the CD in a copy of Adapetec EZ-SSCI and it says it is mode 1 single
session/single track, which is closed (by definition I beleive).

I am now looking at what might cause this but it is most likely an error in
the production of the ISO image than the burn process.

Kind regards,

Ken.