Ricoh 6200s - flickering light

Post by Buz » Sun, 31 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I had the same problem, same drive, tried same solutions, same
outcome.  Basically ricoh mp6200s drives are pants.  I suspect
they don't work well with scsi adaptors other than adaptec.
I have now gone for eide with a yamaha 4416e which so far is
very reliable, though not 100%.  Plextor are generally considered
THE BEST, but at a premium.

>My fiance and I both have Ricoh 6200s, Plextor 12/20X drives.  His Ricoh
>recently started acting up with the front panel light flickering green/red and
>the drive refusing to burn or do pretty much anything.  The problem has gotten
>worse.  We switched the Ricohs in the 2 computers and still had the same problem
>with the same drive in my computer (so it would appear to be a problem with the
>drive itself, my Ricoh works fine in his computer now).  I went to the
>Unofficial Ricoh page and lo and behold a solution!  (I thought.)  The "fix"
>involved taking the drive apart and cleaning the little white plastic disk that
>clamps onto the cdrs when its in the drive.  Well I've done that a couple of
>times now - once with cleaner/degreaser from Radio Shack and another time with
>head cleaner (isopropyl *).

>Still the drive won't behave.  Oh I might rarely get it to finish a burn
>successfully, but it is *rare* these days.  Very frustrating.  Any ideas out
>there????

>I'd buy another except money needs to go elsewhere right now.  Will networking
>the computers at least let us both use the one working Ricoh (as well as share
>an internet connection)?

>If I must buy another... is Plextor the way to go?  (I've been happy with the
>12/20x cdrom drive).

>Thanks.

Ricoh 6200s - flickering light

Post by Don Stern » Sun, 31 Oct 1999 04:00:00

The MP6200 was packaged by Ricoh with a cheap non-Adaptec ISA
SCSI card and that worked fine in most cases. I've been using one
with a Diamond Fireport 40 for nearly two years without incident.

>I had the same problem, same drive, tried same solutions, same
>outcome.  Basically ricoh mp6200s drives are pants.  I suspect
>they don't work well with scsi adaptors other than adaptec.
>I have now gone for eide with a yamaha 4416e which so far is
>very reliable, though not 100%.  Plextor are generally considered
>THE BEST, but at a premium.

Ricoh 6200s - flickering light

Post by Buz » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

Browsing through this group seem's to indicate quite a few people
having problems with the new ricoh drives, i certainly wouldn't
purchase another.  I also read that a dodgy batch of mp6200s were
shipped towards the end of 1997, which is when i purchased mine,
personally i think there all dodgy :)
I also love music and have found the Yamaha a very capable duplicator.
It supports all formats except  cd text, has support for full 80 min
disks (unlike sony drives) and can handle all subcode information
(important for resynchronization and also for karaoke disks).
I believe plextor drives have additional circuitry dedicated to making
EXACT copies of audio disks, but as previously mentioned there cost is
high compared to the Yamaha's.

>Well, except that the flakey one was working poorly with my fiance's Adaptec
>card, while my good one was working fine with the Ricoh packaged PEL card....
>We switched the drives and the good drive is still working fine with the adaptec
>card but his flakey one is still being flakey with the PEL card.  So, at least
>in this case, I don't think you can blame the problem on the SCSI card.

>If we end up replacing the one drive, what are your thoughts on a Ricoh or
>Yamaha as a replacement?  We burn mostly audio cds, but do burn occasional
>software cds and also to backup the computers.

>Thanks.

>>The MP6200 was packaged by Ricoh with a cheap non-Adaptec ISA
>>SCSI card and that worked fine in most cases. I've been using one
>>with a Diamond Fireport 40 for nearly two years without incident.

>>>I had the same problem, same drive, tried same solutions, same
>>>outcome.  Basically ricoh mp6200s drives are pants.  I suspect
>>>they don't work well with scsi adaptors other than adaptec.
>>>I have now gone for eide with a yamaha 4416e which so far is
>>>very reliable, though not 100%.  Plextor are generally considered
>>>THE BEST, but at a premium.

Ricoh 6200s - flickering light

Post by Don Stern » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

Quote:>If we end up replacing the one drive, what are your thoughts on a Ricoh or
>Yamaha as a replacement?  We burn mostly audio cds, but do burn occasional
>software cds and also to backup the computers.

Personally, I'd go with the Ricoh, but only because I've owned a
Ricoh and I know of another. Both of these units (an older model)
have performed flawlessly for about two years with relatively
heavy use. I have no experience with the Yamaha units & can't
comment one way or the other.

As far as the recorder is concerned, it makes no difference
whether you're recording audio or data unless you're trying to
create an * format.

Ricoh 6200s - flickering light

Post by John Wol » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Good question. I have seen too many problems with the new IDE Ricoh. Bought
a Yamaha 4416 SCSI and it runs too hot. I also doubt that people who shelled
out all that money for a plextor are going to say anything bad about them my
plex12x scsi CD also runs too hot. Meanwhile my 3 year old 6201 is still
burning em out at only 2x without any coasters.But it has to be on its last
leg.

Quote:> >If we end up replacing the one drive, what are your thoughts on a Ricoh
or
> >Yamaha as a replacement?  We burn mostly audio cds, but do burn
occasional
> >software cds and also to backup the computers.

> Personally, I'd go with the Ricoh, but only because I've owned a
> Ricoh and I know of another. Both of these units (an older model)
> have performed flawlessly for about two years with relatively
> heavy use. I have no experience with the Yamaha units & can't
> comment one way or the other.

> As far as the recorder is concerned, it makes no difference
> whether you're recording audio or data unless you're trying to
> create an * format.

1. Ricoh 6200s - flickering light

The flickering light usually means difficulty reading the disc. One
common cause is dirt in the drive and, in particular, on the lens. I
have not tried more drastic measures, but have solved the problem on my
6201s by blowing it out with 'canned air'. Some people have carefully
wiped the lens with a swab.

Mike

--

http://mrichter.simplenet.com
CD-R http://resource.simplenet.com

2. windows 98 & small business server 2000 & accpac

3. Flickering light after failed burn (Sony 948S)

4. Which SCSI-Controller for Plextor 12Plex or 20Plex or Ultraplax

5. Sony 31A access light flickers, no access???

6. The game Sleeping Gods Lie.

7. What does alternating red and green lights mean on a Ricoh 6200s?

8. Ricoh 6200S Blinking Light Problem

9. Question: CD-ROM Drive Light Stay Lit

10. Experiences with Ricoh "silver/light greenish" blank media (Made in EU)

11. On the RICOH is the light suppose to be on all the time?

12. Ricoh MP6200s Blinking Light?