Converting 16kbit mono MP3 files to CD compatible WAV files

Converting 16kbit mono MP3 files to CD compatible WAV files

Post by Daniel Princ » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 02:22:37

I have several 16kbit mono MP3 files that I want to convert to CD
compatible WAV files so that I can burn them to a standard audio CD-R
with Nero version 5.0.4.6 bundled.  How can I do this?

I tried CDex but Nero said the WAV files were invalid.  Thank you in
advance for all replies.
--
My cat Marmaduke likes to look out the window especially at
night.  He LOVES to smell out an open window especially at

Converting 16kbit mono MP3 files to CD compatible WAV files

Post by amnesia » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 04:47:53

Get Goldwave. You can do batch conversions to any format you like (including
44khz, stereo)

Quote:> I have several 16kbit mono MP3 files that I want to convert to CD
> compatible WAV files so that I can burn them to a standard audio CD-R
> with Nero version 5.0.4.6 bundled.  How can I do this?

> I tried CDex but Nero said the WAV files were invalid.  Thank you in
> advance for all replies.
> --
> My cat Marmaduke likes to look out the window especially at
> night.  He LOVES to smell out an open window especially at
> night.

Converting 16kbit mono MP3 files to CD compatible WAV files

Post by Graham Mayo » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 16:22:22

The cheapest way to do this is to load the mono files into Windows Sound
Recorder C:\WINDOWS\SNDREC32.EXE
Then from the file menu > properties >convert now > PCM > 44100 16 bit
stereo.
The result will be dual mono and not stereo, but should give the result you
require.

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

Post by Daniel Princ » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 03:37:18

>Get Goldwave. You can do batch conversions to any format you like (including
>44khz, stereo)

What do I convert the files to?  The program has hundreds of things it
can convert to and I can't figure out which one to use.  I didn't find
a PCM type so I tried one that said "IMA ADPCM 44,100 Hz 4 BIT
STEREO".  Nero refused to use the resulting file.  Then I tried one
called "MICROSOFT ADPCM 44,100 Hz 4 BIT STEREO" but it didn't work
either.  I didn't find any other formats with PCM in the name and
44,100 Hz.  Can you tell me the name of the CDROM compatible format in
Goldwave?

--

Post by Andy McFadde » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 01:47:05

>>Get Goldwave. You can do batch conversions to any format you like (including
>>44khz, stereo)

> What do I convert the files to?  The program has hundreds of things it
> can convert to and I can't figure out which one to use.  I didn't find
> a PCM type so I tried one that said "IMA ADPCM 44,100 Hz 4 BIT
> STEREO".  Nero refused to use the resulting file.  Then I tried one
> called "MICROSOFT ADPCM 44,100 Hz 4 BIT STEREO" but it didn't work
> either.  I didn't find any other formats with PCM in the name and
> 44,100 Hz.  Can you tell me the name of the CDROM compatible format in
> Goldwave?

44.1KHz 16-bit stereo, not compressed

Think of PCM as a synonym for "uncompressed".  ADPCM is a lossy compression
format that is much simpler but far inferior to MP3.

--

CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/ (formerly www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/)
Fight Internet Spam - http://spam.abuse.net/spam/ & news.admin.net-abuse.email

Post by Daniel Princ » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:04:31

>>>Get Goldwave. You can do batch conversions to any format you like (including
>>>44khz, stereo)

>> What do I convert the files to?  The program has hundreds of things it
>> can convert to and I can't figure out which one to use.  I didn't find
>> a PCM type so I tried one that said "IMA ADPCM 44,100 Hz 4 BIT
>> STEREO".  Nero refused to use the resulting file.  Then I tried one
>> called "MICROSOFT ADPCM 44,100 Hz 4 BIT STEREO" but it didn't work
>> either.  I didn't find any other formats with PCM in the name and
>> 44,100 Hz.  Can you tell me the name of the CDROM compatible format in
>> Goldwave?

>44.1KHz 16-bit stereo, not compressed

>Think of PCM as a synonym for "uncompressed".  ADPCM is a lossy compression
>format that is much simpler but far inferior to MP3.

I did a Google groups search and found instructions on how to use the
effects menu to convert one file at a time.  I don't think the trial
version of Goldwave (4.24) I have can do batch resampling.

I don't find "44.1KHz 16-bit stereo, not compressed" in the list of
things it can do in batch mode.  It just isn't there!  Have you
actually checked your copy of Goldwave to see if it can resample in
batch mode?
--
My cat Marmaduke likes to look out the window especially at
night.  He LOVES to smell out an open window especially at
night.

Converting 16kbit mono MP3 files to CD compatible WAV files

Post by Graham Mayo » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 22:40:30

Whatever Goldwave might call it, you want to change it to a WAV file with a
sample rate of 44100Hz, 16bit stereo. Any WAV editor will do this - or you
could use my original suggestion of Windows Sound Recorder.

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

Post by Daniel Princ » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:15:41

>Whatever Goldwave might call it, you want to change it to a WAV file with a
>sample rate of 44100Hz, 16bit stereo. Any WAV editor will do this - or you
>could use my original suggestion of Windows Sound Recorder.

Windows Sound Recorder works but it only does one file at a time, it
takes a long time and it requires user intervention several times.  I
need something that will do several files at the same time (batch
mode) without user intervention.

I found a program called MP3 Workshop.  It will batch convert the
files and Nero will write them to an audio CD-R but there is one
*HUGE* problem!  The converted files are total GARBAGE!  The sound is
EXTREMELY distorted.  I could only make out about one word in 15.
(The original files sound good.)  This is with two sets of files from
two different sources.

If you know of a program that will batch convert several MP3 files
without user intervention and produce a good quality result, please
let me know.
--
My cat Marmaduke likes to look out the window especially at
night.  He LOVES to smell out an open window especially at
night.

Converting 16kbit mono MP3 files to CD compatible WAV files

Post by amnesia » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:22:00

Like i said, i use goldwave to batch convert. The sound is great!

> >Whatever Goldwave might call it, you want to change it to a WAV file with
> >sample rate of 44100Hz, 16bit stereo. Any WAV editor will do this - or
you
> >could use my original suggestion of Windows Sound Recorder.

> Windows Sound Recorder works but it only does one file at a time, it
> takes a long time and it requires user intervention several times.  I
> need something that will do several files at the same time (batch
> mode) without user intervention.

> I found a program called MP3 Workshop.  It will batch convert the
> files and Nero will write them to an audio CD-R but there is one
> *HUGE* problem!  The converted files are total GARBAGE!  The sound is
> EXTREMELY distorted.  I could only make out about one word in 15.
> (The original files sound good.)  This is with two sets of files from
> two different sources.

> If you know of a program that will batch convert several MP3 files
> without user intervention and produce a good quality result, please
> let me know.
> --
> My cat Marmaduke likes to look out the window especially at
> night.  He LOVES to smell out an open window especially at
> night.

Converting 16kbit mono MP3 files to CD compatible WAV files

Post by Graham Mayo » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:33:34

Plan B - dbpoweramp - works from within Explorer, will batch files and
convert direct from mp3 to WAV in any format.

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

Post by Daniel Princ » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:03:51

>Like i said, i use goldwave to batch convert. The sound is great!

HOW?

Can you tell me exactly, step by step, how you do batch resampling
with Goldwave?  I have looked and looked and looked and looked and
looked  through the program and the help file and I can't find a way
to do it.  I have been able to use the effects menu to resample ONE
file at a time.  When I use the batch menu I can't find a WAV
attribute to convert to that Nero will burn to a CD-R.  You have twice
said that Goldwave can do batch resampling but you have not said how
it is done.

--
My cat Marmaduke likes to look out the window especially at
night.  He LOVES to smell out an open window especially at
night.

Converting 16kbit mono MP3 files to CD compatible WAV files

Post by amnesia » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 12:53:38

Goto File>Batch Conversion
Then Add Files
Then set File type to wav
Attributes to 16 bit, stereo, signed
Then select your destination folder for the wavs.
Hit Begin and voila!

Let me know if this helps.

Post by Daniel Princ » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:13:47

>Goto File>Batch Conversion
>Then Add Files
>Then set File type to wav
>Attributes to 16 bit, stereo, signed
>Then select your destination folder for the wavs.
>Hit Begin and voila!

>Let me know if this helps.

I did exactly what you said to one of the files in question.  When I
tried to add the file that Goldwave produced to an audio compilation
Nero said "Unsupported wave sample format!" and it refused to add the
file to the compilation.  If you want me to, I can email you a small
(82,944 bytes) MP3 file that I want to resample so that you can fool
around with it.

--
My cat Marmaduke likes to look out the window especially at
night.  He LOVES to smell out an open window especially at
night.

Converting 16kbit mono MP3 files to CD compatible WAV files

Post by amnesia » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 05:22:35

Hmmm, very interesting.
The wav files from Goldwave used to work for me. However, I no longer use
Nero to test it for you.

> >Goto File>Batch Conversion
> >Then Add Files
> >Then set File type to wav
> >Attributes to 16 bit, stereo, signed
> >Then select your destination folder for the wavs.
> >Hit Begin and voila!

> >Let me know if this helps.

> I did exactly what you said to one of the files in question.  When I
> tried to add the file that Goldwave produced to an audio compilation
> Nero said "Unsupported wave sample format!" and it refused to add the
> file to the compilation.  If you want me to, I can email you a small
> (82,944 bytes) MP3 file that I want to resample so that you can fool
> around with it.

> >> HOW?

> >> Can you tell me exactly, step by step, how you do batch resampling
> >> with Goldwave?  I have looked and looked and looked and looked and
> >> looked  through the program and the help file and I can't find a way
> >> to do it.  I have been able to use the effects menu to resample ONE
> >> file at a time.  When I use the batch menu I can't find a WAV
> >> attribute to convert to that Nero will burn to a CD-R.  You have twice
> >> said that Goldwave can do batch resampling but you have not said how
> >> it is done.

> >with

> >> --
> >> My cat Marmaduke likes to look out the window especially at
> >> night.  He LOVES to smell out an open window especially at
> >> night.

> --
> My cat Marmaduke likes to look out the window especially at
> night.  He LOVES to smell out an open window especially at
> night.

Converting 16kbit mono MP3 files to CD compatible WAV files

Post by amnesia » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 05:28:53

 I am curious. What is the original sample rate of the mp3's .
If they are not originally 44khz, you must first resample them.
Open them in Goldwave, select resample, select 44khz, and then save as a
16bit signed stereo wav.
Unfortunately, if they mp3's are not 44khz originally, batch conversion will
not resample to 44khz. So, you would have to do each mp3 as mentioned above.