creating format - CD-Rom-XA vs CD-R

Post by Phil Schuma » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 07:03:53

I have an HP writer and use Easy CD creator -
All the CD's I create seem to be in a format
called CD-ROM-XA - using single track or multi-track -

Also, I can use the Adaptec Direct-CD software
to make the CD appear as a drive letter,
and just bring files over to it - and then burn at the end.

I friend gave me a CD with some photos on it,
and after resizing and editing them,
I wanted to put them back on the CD - but could not -
It said it was a CD-R and could not be re-opened -
It was not "closed" as my diag software said it was "appendable" -

so - what software writes in the CD-R format
vs the CD-ROM-XA format that seems to be used by Adaptec
Easy-CD Creator and Direct-CD

Phil -

Post by smh » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 08:12:36

> I have an HP writer and use Easy CD creator -
> All the CD's I create seem to be in a format
> called CD-ROM-XA - using single track or multi-track -

> Also, I can use the Adaptec Direct-CD software
> to make the CD appear as a drive letter,
> and just bring files over to it - and then burn at the end.

> I friend gave me a CD with some photos on it,
> and after resizing and editing them,
> I wanted to put them back on the CD - but could not -
> It said it was a CD-R and could not be re-opened -
> It was not "closed" as my diag software said it was "appendable" -

> so - what software writes in the CD-R format
> vs the CD-ROM-XA format that seems to be used by Adaptec
> Easy-CD Creator and Direct-CD

What versions of Easy CD CreMator (*) and Windows?

Is the cd-r that's supposedly could not be re-opened formatted with
DirectCD? (Is this what you mean by "CD-R format"?)

(*) Easy CD CreMator - Brian O, Ray Kostanty, Joel

Post by Mike Richte » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 11:20:23

> I have an HP writer and use Easy CD creator -
> All the CD's I create seem to be in a format
> called CD-ROM-XA - using single track or multi-track -

> Also, I can use the Adaptec Direct-CD software
> to make the CD appear as a drive letter,
> and just bring files over to it - and then burn at the end.

> I friend gave me a CD with some photos on it,
> and after resizing and editing them,
> I wanted to put them back on the CD - but could not -
> It said it was a CD-R and could not be re-opened -
> It was not "closed" as my diag software said it was "appendable" -

> so - what software writes in the CD-R format
> vs the CD-ROM-XA format that seems to be used by Adaptec
> Easy-CD Creator and Direct-CD

CD-ROM = Compact Disc - Read-Only Memory

You really should take the time to read the basics of CD recording at
one of the usual references: the CD-R FAQ or the primer at my WWW site.

Any mastering software will let you add a session to an unclosed disc.
However, that is not done from the program creating the file(s) but from
the mastering program. To write files directly to a CD-R (erasable or
write-once), you need to format it for packet writing. YOu report doing
that with DCD.

I do not recommend adding a UDF session to a disc with an ISO 9660 Level
2 already written, though it may work. Your best bet is to use packets -
DCD - throughout or to save up the files until you have enough to write
a fresh session.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

creating format - CD-Rom-XA vs CD-R

Post by smh » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:34:05

.            --------------------------------------
                Mike Richter, were you born with
             "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
             --------------------------------------

Quote:

> Your best bet is to use packets - DCD - throughout

Use DirectCD when you rejected it, Hit&Run Mikey?

        =====================
        From:    Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
        Date:    8/19/02

        I have used only DCD for packet writing,
        have had no problems due to the software -
        but too many due to the format itself

        to bother with it any longer.

        =====================
        From:    Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
        Date:    6/17/02

        uninstalled DCD
        when I stopped testing for Roxio
        =====================

The above Mikey's statement is the first ever case in which a Shill is
rejecting the very product IT is shilling for.

With a Shill like this, cRoxio doesn't need any critics!

            --------------------------
            cRoxio, Eat Your Heart Out !!!
            --------------------------

creating format - CD-Rom-XA vs CD-R

Post by Phil Schuma » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:16:50

Quote:> You really should take the time to read the basics of CD recording at
> one of the usual references: the CD-R FAQ or the primer at my WWW
site.

> Any mastering software will let you add a session to an unclosed disc.
> However, that is not done from the program creating the file(s) but
from
> the mastering program. To write files directly to a CD-R (erasable or
> write-once), you need to format it for packet writing. YOu report
doing
> that with DCD.

just as a followup -
I use the Adaptec CD Creator on my machine,
and the HP Writer software diag program
reports the CD format as CD-ROM-XA & appendable -

I asked the person that gave me the CD what he used
to create the CD, and he said Nero 5.5 -
Now when I pop this CD into the HP Writer software diag program,
it reports that the CD is formatted as CD-R & appendable.

I wonder if Adaptec CD Creator "always" writes in CD-ROM-XA format,
or if there is a way to force the common/default CD-R format ?
BTW - I tried both the "drive letter" and "all at once" methods...
Phil -

Post by Mike Richte » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 02:42:18

> I wonder if Adaptec CD Creator "always" writes in CD-ROM-XA format,
> or if there is a way to force the common/default CD-R format ?
> BTW - I tried both the "drive letter" and "all at once" methods...
> Phil -

PLEASE read one of the usual references: the CD-R FAQ or the primer at
my WWW site. Rewriting the primer for basic questions is a waste of time.

The "common/default CD-R format" is XA. You are free to choose Mode 1 in
ECDC if you wish.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

creating format - CD-Rom-XA vs CD-R

Post by Kami » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 05:45:00

Quote:>> I wonder if Adaptec CD Creator "always" writes in CD-ROM-XA format,
>> or if there is a way to force the common/default CD-R format ?
>> BTW - I tried both the "drive letter" and "all at once" methods...
>> Phil -

>PLEASE read one of the usual references: the CD-R FAQ or the primer at
>my WWW site. Rewriting the primer for basic questions is a waste of time.

One of the purposes of n.g.'s is to get information.  Some people don't know
about the FAQ's, don't know where to find it, and/or just want a *quick* answer
to something.  If you feel as you do, then don't reply to questions.

Kami

--
email to furpods at mindspring dot com

creating format - CD-Rom-XA vs CD-R

Post by Phil Schuma » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:27:35

well - I think I've figured out a couple of problems we were having -

1) It appears that EZCD defaults to writing CD-ROM-XA formats,
and this supports the open/closing using a drive letter for appending
data.

2) It appears that Nero defaults to writing CD-R format,
and this does not allow the opening/closing on a EZCD system
for later appending data.

3) We had a problem when creating a EZCD CD,
and it was kinda readable on a NT 4.0 SP4 laptop -
but it would only read for a little bit - and then "timeout" and
lockup -

4) I just created a CD-R format using EZCD -
and it now works just fine on NTW
    and also verified that I could not re-open it via EZCD for adding
data
    (BTW - when creating the CD, you have to change the EZCD format file
system
        via a RIGHT-CLICK on the CD as a disk - kept looking for a menu
item)

So - now I just have to see if I can get our swim team photographer
to look and see if Nero can create CD-ROM-XA (I think they call it
"extra data")
so that I can re-open the CD and add the edited photos back onto the
same CD -

Phil -

Post by smh » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:52:03

> well - I think I've figured out a couple of problems we were having -

> 1) It appears that EZCD defaults to writing CD-ROM-XA formats,
> and this supports the open/closing using a drive letter for appending
> data.

Writing mode does not control drive letter access.

Quote:> 2) It appears that Nero defaults to writing CD-R format,
> and this does not allow the opening/closing on a EZCD system
> for later appending data.

Is the Ezcd version 4.x?

Are you using cd-rw rewritable disc or cd-r recordable disc?
Are you using Nero or InCD?

How did you determine that Nero wrote in "CD-R format"?

(What's this "CD-R format"?  How and where do you set to that format in
Nero and Ezcd?)

Quote:> 3) We had a problem when creating a EZCD CD,
> and it was kinda readable on a NT 4.0 SP4 laptop -
> but it would only read for a little bit - and then "timeout" and
> lockup -

What did you use, Ezcd or DirectCD?

Quote:> 4) I just created a CD-R format using EZCD -
> and it now works just fine on NTW
>     and also verified that I could not re-open it via EZCD for adding
> data
>     (BTW - when creating the CD, you have to change the EZCD format file
> system
>         via a RIGHT-CLICK on the CD as a disk - kept looking for a menu
> item)

> So - now I just have to see if I can get our swim team photographer
> to look and see if Nero can create CD-ROM-XA (I think they call it
> "extra data")
> so that I can re-open the CD and add the edited photos back onto the
> same CD -

Nero can certainly add data to discs created by Ezcd if the discs are
not closed.

Again, are you using Ezcd or DirectCD?  Did you format the discs?
Again, are you using Ezcd version 4.x?

1. CD-ROM vs. CD-ROM XA for Mutlisession CDs and crossplatform

I need some clarification on CD-ROM XA or CD-ROM for multisession CDs. I
got conflict information on whether I should use CD-ROM XA or CD-ROM for
multisession CDs. According to Easy CD pro (Win95), it's a misconception
that multisession has to be in CD-ROM XA. It's OK to use CD-ROM for
multisession CDs, according to the manual.

On the other hand, Toast Pro 3.0.3 on the Mac forces you to use CD-ROM XA
if you want to do ISO 9660 multisession discs. If you choose CD-ROM as
format, it has only "write disc" and "write session" is grayed. (You can
choose CD-ROM as format if you create multisession discs using Mac's HFS.)

Why is that? Is Toast Pro's approach wrong?

The reason I asked was that I had problems with QuickTime movies and one PC
.exe file I created with Toast Pro in CD-ROM XA/ISO 9660/multiple sessions.
They don't play (white screen and draw wierd lines on screen) on CD but
play OK when I copy them to hard drive (data is not corrupt). I was
wondering if it's because of the CD-ROM XA I am forced to use. The same QT
movies created with Easy CD Pro play ok, and I used CD-ROM without closing
the disc.

If I use Easy CD Pro, I have other problems. PC CD-ROM drives can recognize
only the last session of the disc or the first (with either link to the
previous session or not to link to previous session option selected in Easy
CD). This is not a problem with multisession cds created with Toast Pro. I
can see all files in different sessions showing up in one drive icon. Also,
Mac applications pressed on Windows are not recognized as applications when
you mount the CD on Macs. For cross-platform compatibility, Easy CD Pro is
not a solution.

If I don't have the QuickTime problem I would use Toast Pro without any
second thought. Which CD-ROM writing program on the PC would solve the
problems I have with cross-platform CDs. DV magazine gives Gear 4.0 the
highest score in their September issue. I also heard Toast Pro is coming
out a PC version soon. What's the insider info on that?

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Changhsu Liu

2. MODEM Fax voz Sierra 14.4 SQ 3230

3. Panasonic CR-585-B don′t read CD-ROM XA format ?

4. scanreg.ini

5. Will the 1420c write CD-ROM XA format?

6. Publishing to Geocities

7. How can I get CD-ROM/XA ADPCM Level C Format information?

8. Oracle Help Available (Cost-Effective)

9. How important is the XA format?

10. EZ CD 3.5 -- Create CD in Kodaks PCD Format????

11. How to create KODAK CD format from scans

12. Any software that can tell you format CD created in?

13. Looking for software to create audio CD data format.