New EZCD6 engine update

Post by 2pod » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 06:22:53

After installing the above I can no longer select either my cdrw, or dvd-r
in EZCD6 (i.e. it won't select them, it just says recording device none)
However, XP and drag to disk see them ok.

I've re-installed and noticed after the first reboot the drives are there,
but Roxio Assistant changes the registry wants to reboot, and after that
they're gone !

Any ideas ?

New EZCD6 engine update

Post by smh » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 04:45:44

> "2pods" contains these words:

> > After installing the above I can no longer select either my cdrw, or dvd-r
> > in EZCD6 (i.e. it won't select them, it just says recording device none)
> > However, XP and drag to disk see them ok.

> > I've re-installed and noticed after the first reboot the drives are there,
> > but Roxio Assistant changes the registry wants to reboot, and after that
> > they're gone !

> > Any ideas ?

>  Sorry to be of no help,
>                                  but get rid of the Roxio software.
>  That'll be difficult as well. :(

cRoxio outdid themselves with slEasy Coaster Creator 6:

===============================
From:    Ted Kircher
Subject: Re: Easy CD Creator 6
Date:    3/20/03

After reviewing the problems I encountered with the program, Tech
Support authorized Customer Service to issue me a refund RMA.  Today I
tried to remove the program from my system, first using Add/Remove.
That brought up the Roxio splash screen that you see on installation
and includes a "remove" button.  That did not work.  It froze the
system.

Next I used the CD to gate the same startup splash screen, clicked the
remove button - with the same result - a frozen system.

Call to Tech Support resulted in guidance to delete all Roxio folders
then remove the two Roxio folders in the registry (this all
accomplished by following the instruction of the Tech guy since I am
not comfortable playing with the Registry.

Upon completion I ran the registry checker in System Suite (which I do
regularly) and found - 1,380 registry errors!  I almost wet my pants.
I checked each one and found they all related to Roxio.  About 2-300
were automatic deletes, but I had to click on aboud one thousand of
them to effect their deletion.

The package will be in the mail tomorrow.

==============================
From:    Ted Kircher
Date:    4/1/03

> (Still can't believe cRoxio put in 1,380 registry entries!)

Today I did a search of the registry files and found the following
references to "Roxio:"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT - over 700 CLSID items
HKEY_CURRENT_USER - 4 items
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - over 1,000 items
HKEY_USERS - 4 ITEMS
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIGURATION - no items
HKE_DYN_DATA  - no items

My earlier posting relating to the 1,380 Roxio registry entries that
were broken links that I laboriously eliminated.

The newly discovered items are not routinely eliminated since they are
not borken links.  I assume that they have to be deleted item by item
in the registry, but I find that sort of spooky since I am not one to
play around with the GRRRegistry!

NOW HEAR THIS!

Now, an update to additional problems I encounted today.

Planning to install Nero, I decided to be prudent and verify that I
had no other burner programs present on the system.  When I checked
Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, I discovered (to my horror) that
it still showed "Easy CD Creator 6."  When I tried to remove it, the
system hung.

 After rebooting I did a search on "Roxio" and found a folder in
C:\Windows\Applications.  The Roxio folder containd two sub-folders.

I decided to call tech support at Roxio and spent over an hour with a
Tech that completely screwed up my system.  We renamed the Roxio
folder to "Roxio Old."  Tried again to remove the Add/Remove item and
locked up the system.  Went to Safe Mode (which screwed up my optical
MS Mouse), went through about 30 minutes of this, that, and the other
thing.  Tried to clean it up by using the original CD (that I had to
unwrap since I was prepared to drop it off at the PO today to get my
refund). Finally had a system that was completely screwed up in that
everything was*.

Tech suggested I run ScanReg at the DOS command line and "pick an
earlier backup."  That did work in the sense that I went back to
square one.  Tech then said they would call me tomorrow morning with a
solution to the problem!  (I don't think I ever had Tech Support offer
to call me back!)

All of that, of course, is prior to my response relating to the
disbelief of the original 1380 broken registry links.  BELIEVE ME they
were REAL.

Two things I do know.  I can remove the Add/Remove reference to Easy
CD/DVD Creator 6 by using Tweak.  Also, I know that I can simpley
delete the C;\Windows\Applications Data\Roxio folder and its contents.

 BUT, how do I get ride of the 1K of Roxio references in the
aforemention Registry components?

So far, Roxio Tech Support, in my opinion, seems to have their heads
up their _____  (kazoo? You pick a "fill in the blanks" choice).

At my age this kind of frustration can bring on a STROKE!.