Wich 4X IDE Burner ?

Post by Jerome Berso » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi

I've been pondering the purchase of a new internal 4X IDE CD-R. The burner
must also support DAO and should at least have a 1Mo buffer (2 Mo would of
course be better).

Based on the Andy McFadden's FAQ (nice job BTW)  and various posts in this
newsgroup, I've outlined a couple of models wich seems to be the "best
buys", but I'd like to get input from owners of these drives. In the SCSI
field, it seems that the Plexwriter is THE choice, but it's not clear (at
least to me) for the IDE ones. Here's the list of the (IMO) best CD-R and
CD-RW (I don't necessarily want a CD-RW, but I'm ready to fork the extra $$$
if there's no good CD-R unit available).

Yamaha CDR-401 (4x6/2MB;IDE),

I've heard that the Yamaha drives overheat a lot, and I'm concerned since I
want an internal unit.

Last thing, I'm also concerned wether the burner would actually be able to
make good (audio) CD burns at 4X speed.
My system is:

P166MMX
64Mo SDRAM
Quantum EL 5.1Go
Quatum ST 3.2Go
Win98

Thanx in advance for the input and if I've missed a great IDE recorder,
PLEASE tell me! :-)

    jrom

Wich 4X IDE Burner ?

Post by Grapple » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Get the Panasonic 7502 - it's the FASTEST 4X burner out there and is highly
reliable.

>Hi

>I've been pondering the purchase of a new internal 4X IDE CD-R. The burner
>must also support DAO and should at least have a 1Mo buffer (2 Mo would of
>course be better).

>Based on the Andy McFadden's FAQ (nice job BTW)  and various posts in this
>newsgroup, I've outlined a couple of models wich seems to be the "best
>buys", but I'd like to get input from owners of these drives. In the SCSI
>field, it seems that the Plexwriter is THE choice, but it's not clear (at
>least to me) for the IDE ones. Here's the list of the (IMO) best CD-R and
>CD-RW (I don't necessarily want a CD-RW, but I'm ready to fork the extra
$$$
>if there's no good CD-R unit available).

>Yamaha CDR-401 (4x6/2MB;IDE),

>I've heard that the Yamaha drives overheat a lot, and I'm concerned since I
>want an internal unit.

>Last thing, I'm also concerned wether the burner would actually be able to
>make good (audio) CD burns at 4X speed.
>My system is:

>P166MMX
>64Mo SDRAM
>Quantum EL 5.1Go
>Quatum ST 3.2Go
>Win98

>Thanx in advance for the input and if I've missed a great IDE recorder,
>PLEASE tell me! :-)

>    jrom

Wich 4X IDE Burner ?

Post by Jerome Berso » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Humm but is it a IDE burner ? I was under the impression it was a SCSI
one...

>Get the Panasonic 7502 - it's the FASTEST 4X burner out there and is highly
>reliable.

>>Hi

>>I've been pondering the purchase of a new internal 4X IDE CD-R. The burner
>>must also support DAO and should at least have a 1Mo buffer (2 Mo would of
>>course be better).

>>Based on the Andy McFadden's FAQ (nice job BTW)  and various posts in this
>>newsgroup, I've outlined a couple of models wich seems to be the "best
>>buys", but I'd like to get input from owners of these drives. In the SCSI
>>field, it seems that the Plexwriter is THE choice, but it's not clear (at
>>least to me) for the IDE ones. Here's the list of the (IMO) best CD-R and
>>CD-RW (I don't necessarily want a CD-RW, but I'm ready to fork the extra
>$$$
>>if there's no good CD-R unit available).

>>Yamaha CDR-401 (4x6/2MB;IDE),

>>I've heard that the Yamaha drives overheat a lot, and I'm concerned since
>>want an internal unit.

>>Last thing, I'm also concerned wether the burner would actually be able to
>>make good (audio) CD burns at 4X speed.
>>My system is:

>>P166MMX
>>64Mo SDRAM
>>Quantum EL 5.1Go
>>Quatum ST 3.2Go
>>Win98

>>Thanx in advance for the input and if I've missed a great IDE recorder,
>>PLEASE tell me! :-)

>>    jrom

Wich 4X IDE Burner ?

Post by Ji » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Get the Panasonic 7502 - it's the FASTEST 4X burner out there

So how much faster is it from let's say for example a Plexwriter 4X, a
Yamaha 4X, or a Blipblop 4X

Jim

Wich 4X IDE Burner ?

Post by TSI » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Grappler *must* have meant to say "7582", the IDE version of the Panasonic
4/8 writer...

>Humm but is it a IDE burner ? I was under the impression it was a SCSI
>one...

>>Get the Panasonic 7502 - it's the FASTEST 4X burner out there and is
highly
>>reliable.

Wich 4X IDE Burner ?

Post by Bozwel » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hey didn't you know that Panasonic arer really selling 8x CDRs as 4x?
They're just too modest to tell anyone! :)

Boz.

P.S. This is a joke!

t>...