Ricoh 6200S experience ?

Post by Frank de Jon » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm planning on buying a Ricoh MP6200S. Is it a good product or should i
wait for another brand ?
I've heard that it really sucks, does anyone have better comments ?

best regards,
Frank

Ricoh 6200S experience ?

Post by Ernest D. Stalnake » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi all,

> I'm planning on buying a Ricoh MP6200S. Is it a good product or should i
> wait for another brand ?
> I've heard that it really sucks, does anyone have better comments ?

> best regards,
> Frank

I don't know anything about the Ricoh drive, but Pinnacle Micro recently
announced their CD-R/W drive, which is supposed to start shipping on June
10.  They have a reputation for producing some of the best optical drives
on the market.

Ernest Stalnaker

Ricoh 6200S experience ?

Post by b » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm planning on buying a Ricoh MP6200S. Is it a good product or should i
>wait for another brand ?
>I've heard that it really sucks, does anyone have better comments ?

Hmm.. I have yet to hear that the 6200 sucks from any post in this NG.  I
bought one (about $500 at www.cmpexpress.com) and have had perfect results
with it.  I'm using Kodak media ($4 at www.cmpexpress.com) and have created
audio, data and PSX disk with no problems.  The rewritable feature is nice but
those disks can only can be used with certain drives (multi-read?) such as the
latest Plextor drives.  The cheapest CDRW disks I found are also at
www.cmpexpress.com for about $18 - though they seem to be backordered.

I highly recommend the 6200.  It comes with an ISA SCSI card (though I'm using
a cheap NCR PCI SCSI card) and EZ CD Pro which works well but Jeff Arnolds
copy program is better (no two second delay between audio tracks, raw reads)
and it now supports the 6200.

Ricoh 6200S experience ?

Post by Dani » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>Hmm.. I have yet to hear that the 6200 sucks from any post in this NG.  I
>bought one (about $500 at www.cmpexpress.com) and have had perfect results
>with it.  I'm using Kodak media ($4 at www.cmpexpress.com) and have created
>audio, data and PSX disk with no problems.  The rewritable feature is nice but
>those disks can only can be used with certain drives (multi-read?) such as the
>latest Plextor drives.  The cheapest CDRW disks I found are also at
>www.cmpexpress.com for about $18 - though they seem to be backordered.

Hi thanks for this info.

I remember reading about the 6200 requiring a bios upgrade to fix some
bugs - ie DAO.

I understand it was found to be reading at 4x and not the stated 6x.

Have these issues been resolved? Is a bios upgrade due or has it been
released?

Ricoh 6200S experience ?

Post by Steve Park » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Mon, 09 Jun 1997 13:51:24 GMT, "Frank de Jong"

>I'm planning on buying a Ricoh MP6200S. Is it a good product or should i
>wait for another brand ?
>I've heard that it really sucks, does anyone have better comments ?

  I haven't had any trouble with my MP6200S with 11 burns so far. It
seems like a very good drive to me.

Steve

Ricoh 6200S experience ?

Post by hillbil » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>> Hi all,

>> I'm planning on buying a Ricoh MP6200S. Is it a good product or
should i
>> wait for another brand ?
>> I've heard that it really sucks, does anyone have better comments ?

>> best regards,
>> Frank

>I don't know anything about the Ricoh drive, but Pinnacle Micro
recently
>announced their CD-R/W drive, which is supposed to start shipping on
June
>10.  They have a reputation for producing some of the best optical
drives
>on the market.

>Ernest Stalnaker

The MAN asked about Ricoh and you suggested Pinnacle Micro CD-R/W drive
which is a Ricoh drive in Pinnacle Micro skins, not a bad guest.  The
Ricoh is a fine drive and works well, but you must first understand
what CD-R/W drives are about.  The R/W media cost about $20+ and can
only be readed by CDRom MR type of drives.  The Ricoh will also write a
standard CDR type of media.

Ricoh 6200S experience ?

Post by Tom Varghe » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>>Hmm.. I have yet to hear that the 6200 sucks from any post in this NG.  I
>>bought one (about $500 at www.cmpexpress.com) and have had perfect results
>>with it.  I'm using Kodak media ($4 at www.cmpexpress.com) and have created
>>audio, data and PSX disk with no problems.  The rewritable feature is nice but
>>those disks can only can be used with certain drives (multi-read?) such as the
>>latest Plextor drives.  The cheapest CDRW disks I found are also at
>>www.cmpexpress.com for about $18 - though they seem to be backordered.

>Hi thanks for this info.

>I remember reading about the 6200 requiring a bios upgrade to fix some
>bugs - ie DAO.

Nope, it's not the drive's fault but the software. EZCDPro2.1 doesn't
support data DAO though it does audio DAO, while J. Arnold's CDRWin
supports DAO in both modes.

Quote:>I understand it was found to be reading at 4x and not the stated 6x.

Variable results here...I've obtained 5x performance

Quote:

>Have these issues been resolved? Is a bios upgrade due or has it been
>released?

Should be out this month, will enable random erasing.

Rgds.

--
Ricoh MP6200 User Page: http://home1.gte.net/varghese/tommp6200.html
AntiSpam email: Remove caps

Ricoh 6200S experience ?

Post by Tom Varghe » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Mon, 09 Jun 1997 13:51:24 GMT, "Frank de Jong"

>Hi all,

>I'm planning on buying a Ricoh MP6200S. Is it a good product or should i
>wait for another brand ?
>I've heard that it really sucks, does anyone have better comments ?

No, it does not suck. In fact, this is probably the least sucking
drive out there.

Rgds

--
Ricoh MP6200 User Page: http://home1.gte.net/varghese/tommp6200.html
AntiSpam email: Remove caps

Ricoh 6200S experience ?

Post by Tim Puffet » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi all,

>I'm planning on buying a Ricoh MP6200S. Is it a good product or should i
>wait for another brand ?

Don't know whether anyone knows for sure but looking into the front of
the drive is sure looks like a version of the Philips CDD2000 family.
The drawer is very similar, that little clear plastic covered
'doohickey' in the centre of the opening, even the two visible LSI chips
on the pcb all smack of the Philips mechanism.  Hope I am wrong.

--
Tim Puffett

Ricoh 6200S experience ?

Post by b » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>>> Hi all,

>>> I'm planning on buying a Ricoh MP6200S. Is it a good product or
>should i
>>> wait for another brand ?
>>> I've heard that it really sucks, does anyone have better comments ?

>The MAN asked about Ricoh and you suggested Pinnacle Micro CD-R/W drive
>which is a Ricoh drive in Pinnacle Micro skins, not a bad guest.  The
>Ricoh is a fine drive and works well, but you must first understand
>what CD-R/W drives are about.  The R/W media cost about $20+ and can
>only be readed by CDRom MR type of drives.  The Ricoh will also write a
>standard CDR type of media.

I have a 6200 and am very pleased with it.  The question is if you would take
advantage of the rewritable function.  I've cut many CDR's (on Kodak media)
doing audio and PSX but only have once so far taken advantage of the
rewritable ability.  Basically, CDRW would mostly be used for PC based CD's -
and only for CD readers that support multi-read (such as Plextor - and of
course Ricoh).  You would have to do CDR for audio, PSX and most other things.
 The 6200 does a great job with both - no coasters.  It comes with an ISA SCSI
card (though I use a cheap NCR PCI SCSI card) and EZ CD Pro which works well
for PSX but seems to put the 2 second gap between audio (not necessarily a bad
thing but some music CD's have tracks that run  into each other).  Jeff
Arnold's program is better at making the closest to "exact" copies but EZ CD
Pro does a pretty good job.  I use both Jeff's and EZ.

You can get the 6200 for about $500 at www.cmpexress.com.  They also sell
CDRW's for $18 and Kodak CDR's for about $4.  If you decide not to go with the
6200, I recommend the Ricoh 1420C which I think necx.com has for about
$300-$350.  Turtle Beach also uses the 1420 mechanism.

    http://www.sexzilla.com        Search, Read, Post to Usenet
 -------------====   With A Whole Lot More  ====------------------

Ricoh 6200S experience ?

Post by Andy McFadd » Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I don't know anything about the Ricoh drive, but Pinnacle Micro recently
>announced their CD-R/W drive, which is supposed to start shipping on June
>10.  They have a reputation for producing some of the best optical drives
>on the market.

Pinnacle's reputation in the consumer CD-R market is the absolute worst
in the industry.

--

Fight Internet Spam - http://spam.abuse.net/spam/ & news.admin.net-abuse.email
Try some spammed toll-free numbers from http://www.clark.net/pub/kfl/toll.html