MP3 on CDR music management ! track sequence etc

MP3 on CDR music management ! track sequence etc

Post by nilanj » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 03:16:20

I know there are volumes of literature on the net related to these
topics. But  sometimes too much information is not good like any other
good thing !!

Situation:
  I have a few thousand songs on MP3 CD-R  recorded as Data cds,
which I have been using to backup my analog tapes etc and listen to on
my computers.
I just bought a Panasonic portable MP3 CD player the issue is it can
play the MP3s but  completely RANDOM order.

(1) How do I order those tracks now ??
(10 hours of music in a random order is useless especially since I
have the original track catalogs printed in sequence )

(2) I have some CDs with  files which have alphabetical names  like
"eric_clapton_unplugged_track_01.mp3" etc  but the player is not
playing these alphabetical .  Does it look at the first few characters
only ??

(3) Low Priority :  I cannot skip (fastforward) thru some long tracks
, If I have a classical music track of 40 minutes long , it seems the
player can only play the entire piece from the beginning and not skip
(as a computer mp3 player like realaudio could do) . Is this normal ??

Thanks for reading this ... &  thanks in advance for your response ...

MP3 on CDR music management ! track sequence etc

Post by Jyesht » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:44:18

Quote:>I know there are volumes of literature on the net related to these
>topics. But  sometimes too much information is not good like any other
>good thing !!

>Situation:
>  I have a few thousand songs on MP3 CD-R  recorded as Data cds,
>which I have been using to backup my analog tapes etc and listen to on
>my computers.
>I just bought a Panasonic portable MP3 CD player the issue is it can
>play the MP3s but  completely RANDOM order.

>(1) How do I order those tracks now ??
>(10 hours of music in a random order is useless especially since I
>have the original track catalogs printed in sequence )

You might have to reorganize and rename them on your computer and then
re-burn them.  For example,

001 eric clapton - <filename>
002 eric clapton - <filename>

Try to not put anything but a space between that first number and the
text.  Also, try putting each album in a folder, and then you only
need to use two digit numbers such as

eric clapton\album name\ 01 <filename>

Where each \ equals a folder (directory).

I had to try a few things on my mp3 CD player to get it to work right,
and this did the trick for me.

Quote:>(2) I have some CDs with  files which have alphabetical names  like
>"eric_clapton_unplugged_track_01.mp3" etc  but the player is not
>playing these alphabetical .  Does it look at the first few characters
>only ??

I don't know.  The naming convention I showed above is what works on
my unit.

Quote:>(3) Low Priority :  I cannot skip (fastforward) thru some long tracks
>, If I have a classical music track of 40 minutes long , it seems the
>player can only play the entire piece from the beginning and not skip
>(as a computer mp3 player like realaudio could do) . Is this normal ??

I don't know.  You could try putting these in folders also?
Quote:>Thanks for reading this ... &  thanks in advance for your response ...

MP3 on CDR music management ! track sequence etc

Post by diesp » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 06:06:30

be aware that most of the players only read the dos 8.3 names.
Your ordering with the long name might look fine, but windows has it's own
idea how to translate the to 8.3 format...
just my 5c
Dieter

> >I know there are volumes of literature on the net related to these
> >topics. But  sometimes too much information is not good like any other
> >good thing !!

> >Situation:
> >  I have a few thousand songs on MP3 CD-R  recorded as Data cds,
> >which I have been using to backup my analog tapes etc and listen to on
> >my computers.
> >I just bought a Panasonic portable MP3 CD player the issue is it can
> >play the MP3s but  completely RANDOM order.

> >(1) How do I order those tracks now ??
> >(10 hours of music in a random order is useless especially since I
> >have the original track catalogs printed in sequence )

> You might have to reorganize and rename them on your computer and then
> re-burn them.  For example,

> 001 eric clapton - <filename>
> 002 eric clapton - <filename>

> Try to not put anything but a space between that first number and the
> text.  Also, try putting each album in a folder, and then you only
> need to use two digit numbers such as

> eric clapton\album name\ 01 <filename>

> Where each \ equals a folder (directory).

> I had to try a few things on my mp3 CD player to get it to work right,
> and this did the trick for me.

> >(2) I have some CDs with  files which have alphabetical names  like
> >"eric_clapton_unplugged_track_01.mp3" etc  but the player is not
> >playing these alphabetical .  Does it look at the first few characters
> >only ??

> I don't know.  The naming convention I showed above is what works on
> my unit.

> >(3) Low Priority :  I cannot skip (fastforward) thru some long tracks
> >, If I have a classical music track of 40 minutes long , it seems the
> >player can only play the entire piece from the beginning and not skip
> >(as a computer mp3 player like realaudio could do) . Is this normal ??

> I don't know.  You could try putting these in folders also?

> >Thanks for reading this ... &  thanks in advance for your response ...

MP3 on CDR music management ! track sequence etc

Post by Mike Richte » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:59:04

With all the groups you posted to the first time, you needed another round.

Reply posted in a.c.p.c. - and a batch more thanks to the bad judgement
of the OP.

Mike

--

http://www.mrichter.com/

MP3 on CDR music management ! track sequence etc

Post by nilanj » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:57:50

Thanks for the responses ... so this means that I have a huge project
ahead ... i.e to rename and re-burn all the tracks !!  on an average
70-80 tracks per CD !!!

Is there a quick way to rename these files the Windows rightclick
rename would take hours to complete ??  I have NTI CD maker which came
with Cendyne CDRW Drive, also got Roxio CD creator.  Cant seem to find
any other option !!!

MP3 on CDR music management ! track sequence etc

Post by patau » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:07:05

There's  freeware program called 'THE Rename' that I've used in the past
to rename a bunch of files, add a three digit prefix etc.

You can download it for nothing here:
http://www.herve-thouzard.com/therenamea.phtml
and also here:
http://www.onlythebestfreeware.com/program.asp?program_id=64
just two places google turned up.

> Thanks for the responses ... so this means that I have a huge project
> ahead ... i.e to rename and re-burn all the tracks !!  on an average
> 70-80 tracks per CD !!!

> Is there a quick way to rename these files the Windows rightclick
> rename would take hours to complete ??  I have NTI CD maker which came
> with Cendyne CDRW Drive, also got Roxio CD creator.  Cant seem to find
> any other option !!!

1. Music CD with MAC data track inside music track 1

Hello,

My son just bought a Music CD with some tracks:
the first music track starts with 5 minutes offset. Before that there is
suposedly a MAC data track.

How can he sees this data track on a PC ?

BTW, only the CDR sees this first track as 8 minutes track, other CDROM
drives only see the 3 minutes track.

Music CD players only see the music.
Thanks
--

homepage http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dvalot/

2. connecting domain controllers

3. MP3 to CDR no Title Etc.

4. WINS server!!

5. Adding tracks to a sequence

6. Unable to Import Public key from server

7. CDR-CDE-CDRW ETC ETC

8. drive letters not appearing after failover

9. Music pauses for new music track in Win95 but not in DOS -Fix for Win95?

10. Add Music Tracks to Pre-Burned Nero CDR?

11. Software, MP3, CAD, etc...

12. hip music cdrom for mm developers,etc

13. no music-cd thru 4-pin (nec); PAS-16, etc.