ATAPI CD Drive disappeared - Any help appreciated

ATAPI CD Drive disappeared - Any help appreciated

Post by v.. » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

I installed a Memorex 24x CD-Rom last week and all worked well. I've
been having problems with a com port and today the CD-Rom disappeared.
Its not being recognized by Windows 95. I've deleted the conflicting com
ports but have not been able to get Win 95 to recognize the CD drive.

I'm afraid to remove the hard disk pci drivers since my Win 95 is on a
CD. Consequently, I can't provide drivers when the system is not
recognizing the CD Drive. Does anyone know how to get Win95 to recognize
the cd drive?

Thanks.

ATAPI CD Drive disappeared - Any help appreciated

Post by Erik » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I installed a Memorex 24x CD-Rom last week and all worked well. I've
>been having problems with a com port and today the CD-Rom disappeared.
>Its not being recognized by Windows 95. I've deleted the conflicting com
>ports but have not been able to get Win 95 to recognize the CD drive.

>I'm afraid to remove the hard disk pci drivers since my Win 95 is on a
>CD. Consequently, I can't provide drivers when the system is not
>recognizing the CD Drive. Does anyone know how to get Win95 to recognize
>the cd drive?

>Thanks.

ATAPI CD Drive disappeared - Any help appreciated

Post by Mark Stotz » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

You might have a boot sector virus....run a virus checker on your
system.

Quote:

>>I installed a Memorex 24x CD-Rom last week and all worked well. I've
>>been having problems with a com port and today the CD-Rom
disappeared.
>>Its not being recognized by Windows 95. I've deleted the conflicting
com
>>ports but have not been able to get Win 95 to recognize the CD drive.

>>I'm afraid to remove the hard disk pci drivers since my Win 95 is on
>>CD. Consequently, I can't provide drivers when the system is not
>>recognizing the CD Drive. Does anyone know how to get Win95 to
recognize
>>the cd drive?

>>Thanks.

Microsoft MVP (DTS) Windows 95/MSDOS        -
http://pw2.netcom.com/~stotzerm/help.html   -

ATAPI CD Drive disappeared - Any help appreciated

Post by me » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00

First thing is to install any DOS drivers for the cdrom that you can find
and copy all of your Win95 directory from the CD to the hard drive, just in
case.  Second, perhaps when you load the DOS drivers, Windows will see it a
work with it.  I have seen situations where this is the only solution.
Third, check in your device manager and see if you have problems or
conflicts.  I had one machine that gave errors on the primary and secondary
ide controllers and therfore would not recognize the Cdrom at all.  If you
cannot get it to work any other way, (and you can get the 95 cab files onto
your hard drive) you may want to reinstall Windows 95 over the top of your
current configuration.  This will not hurt any thing or change your setup,
but it may replace any missing or damaged files.

ATAPI CD Drive disappeared - Any help appreciated

Post by mook » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have had this problem several times on different machines.  Various causes
can be: bad IDE cable, bad CD-ROM drive, bad power connection, or a resource
conflict.  Something you did while trying to resolve the com port problem
might be a good place to start trouble shooting. Can be vexing to figure
out.

> I installed a Memorex 24x CD-Rom last week and all worked well. I've
> been having problems with a com port and today the CD-Rom disappeared.

ATAPI CD Drive disappeared - Any help appreciated

Post by Robert Smi » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

the info from 'me' below is good and correct, however, be sure to run
the setup from inside the /win95 directory, not from the root
directory of the cd-rom  .  If you run the setup from the root
directory in will install a NEW copy of win95 and wipe out all your
original settings.

I use the same info to keep a good copy for a crash on my win95
machines, and also for WIN98 on this machine.

First thing is to install any DOS drivers for the cdrom that you can
find
and copy all of your Win95 directory from the CD to the hard drive,
just in
case.  Second, perhaps when you load the DOS drivers, Windows will see
it a
work with it.  I have seen situations where this is the only solution.

Third, check in your device manager and see if you have problems or
conflicts.  I had one machine that gave errors on the primary and
secondary
ide controllers and therfore would not recognize the Cdrom at all.  If
you
cannot get it to work any other way, (and you can get the 95 cab files
onto
your hard drive) you may want to reinstall Windows 95 over the top of
your
current configuration.  This will not hurt any thing or change your
setup,
but it may replace any missing or damaged files.

>>I installed a Memorex 24x CD-Rom last week and all worked well. I've
>>been having problems with a com port and today the CD-Rom disappeared.
>>Its not being recognized by Windows 95. I've deleted the conflicting com
>>ports but have not been able to get Win 95 to recognize the CD drive.

>>I'm afraid to remove the hard disk pci drivers since my Win 95 is on a
>>CD. Consequently, I can't provide drivers when the system is not
>>recognizing the CD Drive. Does anyone know how to get Win95 to recognize
>>the cd drive?

>>Thanks.

1. USB Patch and CD-ROM Drives Disappearing: Need Help!

In order to take full advantage of my AGP video card, I followed advice to
install the USB (as it includes AGP) patch to my Windows95 (B) machine.

After installing above mentioned patch, I went on to install the "Intel
82371xB INF Update for Windows 95" patch as recommended.  I found both
patches at "http://www.compused.ca/dl-update.html".

However, after installing the "Intel 82371xB INF Update" patch, my system
crashed during the "install hardware" phase and, after a few reboots, my
CD-ROM drive and CD-Writer drive were nowhere to be found (logically of
course).  They are recognized by the BIOS boot sequence but not when Windows
starts up.  Obviously, my PCI IDE bus is missing an element or something
like that.

An error message indicated that an "INF" file got corrupted but I am
stomped.  I don't know what to do and I no longer have CD-ROM drives.

Help!!

Sylvain.

2. Bulletin Boards Go Corporate

3. Newbie/New Home questions

4. Help, CD-Drives Disappeared

5. update tablename

6. Attention Yamaha 4416S CD-R Drive Owners: Advice Appreciated!

7. Where can I get MS Client32 for Netware?

8. help: atapi cd-rom drive 24X

9. CD Label Problem - Any Help Is Greatly Appreciated

10. Data lost on CD-RW...- help appreciated

11. Any Help will be appreciated (CD-rom freeze)