What makes a CD-R more expensive?

Post by Ted Parke » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I've recorded hundreds of audio CDs (under a Canadian license), and whenever
we switch brands, we test playback compatibility in a variety of playback
units. The two toughest decks to get a CDR to play back on are a Panasonic
Shockwave portable with anti-skip turned on, and an old Kenwood car deck.
For example

Generic, el-cheapo silver/blue CDRs will not play in either deck (in fact
they have a tough time playing in most decks).

Verbatim silver/blue CDRs will play back in ANYTHING.

Mid-range BASF (gold OR silver/blue) will play back in the Panasonic
portable, but not in the Kenwood car deck. They are great in all other
decks.

Generic, el-cheapo gold CDRs will play back in ANYTHING.

So my questions are:
1) Don't all CD-Rs have to meet the same technical specs?
2) Is there a reason to pay twice the price for a Verbatim when the generic
gold seems to perform as well??

Thanks for any info.

Ted

1. wanna buy a cd-r or better cd-rw not to expensive if possible an ide

Hello. I want to an cd-rw but i don't know wich.
Could anybody tell me some good and fast copy-read
cd drives which are not so expensive and if it's
possible to copy music cds wich cd-r or rw drives,
cause i know that it isn't possible to rip with
mitsumi cd-drives.
                thanks in advance.

--
From Guy St.

Luxemburg, Europe

2. PPI 14.4 modem Help needed!!

3. Q: Expensive CD-R Media = Good one?

4. Groundwater quality atlas on-line

5. Least expensive CD-R recommendations?

6. please

7. Are all CD-R media the same (i.e. why bother with expensive stuff)?

8. Wingate 3.0

9. Why are CD writers so expensive?

10. An expensive lesson...

11. what is a good not to expensive scsi pci controller

12. SCSI controller ?? Cheap or Expensive?

13. Why are HP blanks so expensive !