ASUS SC200 + Philips CDD 2600 SCSI + Pioneer DR466 12X ?

ASUS SC200 + Philips CDD 2600 SCSI + Pioneer DR466 12X ?

Post by Gepper » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I'm planning to buy a cd-writer.
i don't have a scsi-controller and want to know if ASUS-SC200 is good enough
for Philips 2600 and Pioneer DR466 12X ?
Is the pioneer CD-Rom good for audio-copy?
Is the configuration explained above good enough for Disc-At-Once ?
I don't have much money.

Thanks a lot

ASUS SC200 + Philips CDD 2600 SCSI + Pioneer DR466 12X ?

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I'm planning to buy a cd-writer.
> i don't have a scsi-controller and want to know if ASUS-SC200 is good enough
> for Philips 2600 and Pioneer DR466 12X ?

The ASUS SC-200 is based on the NCR/Symbios 53c810 chip, which is a
Fast/Narrow SCSI-2 DMA busmastering PCI device, roughly comparable to an
Adaptec 2940 in overall speed (but not the Ultra or Wide variants, though
other NCR/Symbios products compete with these, too).  As such, it's quite
powerful enough to handle just about any SCSI CD-R and/or CD-ROM drive
currently on the market, AFAIK.  I also don't know of any item-specific
incompatibilities.  The main drawback to the 53c810-based boards is that
they don't contain any BIOS, so you can't boot a hard drive from them
unless your motherboard includes the SDMS BIOS support, which many -- but
not all -- motherboards do.  Of course, the 53c810 is "only" a
Fast/Narrow adapter, so if you need more speed, you need to move up the
product line.  Not many CD-R or CD-ROM drives use more bandwidth than
this, though.  (I think Plextor's got one in the pipeline that's
UltraSCSI, but AFAIK that's it).

Quote:> Is the pioneer CD-Rom good for audio-copy?

I can't help you there.  I've heard that SOME Pioneers are good for DAE,
but I don't know about the specific model you mention.

Quote:> Is the configuration explained above good enough for Disc-At-Once ?

DAO is entirely a function of the burning CD-R drive.  I believe the
Philips 2600 does support DAO, but check with Philips to be sure.

Quote:> I don't have much money.

In this case, I'd say the 53c810 is probably an excellent choice.  Oh,
actually, I just remembered I'd saved a phone number: 1-619-677-3135.
This is for Insight Electronics, which resells Symbios products.  They
reportedly have the Symbios SYM20810 adapter, which is equivalent to the
ASUS model but made by Symbios, for $35.  Somebody recently posted this
to a Linux newsgroup, and said he's happy with the board.  I've no
personal experience with Insight Electronics, though.  IMHO, $35 is a
great price, though the 53c810 isn't exactly on the cutting edge any more.
As I said, though, it's more than adequate for CD-R burning.

(FWIW, I've got a board based on the 53c825, which is a Fast/Wide variant
of the 53c810, driving seven Narrow devices, including my CD-R, and I've
no complaints about it.  In my configuration, I might as well have a
53c810, except that I've no SDMS support on my motherboard, so I need a
53c8x5 chip to boot from my SCSI hard drives.)

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith       "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

1. Pioneer DR466 SCSI 12x

Anyone have a Pioneer DR466 SCSI 12x.  I'm curious how it performs,
particularly its DAE performance (speed and jitter).  I'm looking for an
inexpensive fast SCSI CDROM that does good DAE.  I found this one for
only $90.  The next best option seems to be the Panasonic 24x SCSI for
$138.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Bob

2. Request for MAME

3. SCSI error with EZCDPro 2.0 and Philips CDD 2600

4. Pointer to Mail Archive Servers FAQ

5. Tekram DC-390 SCSI controller and Philips CDD 2600

6. Hey, Check this code out, eh?

7. ASUS PCI-SC200 SCSI Controller

8. Amiga monitor repair

9. Experiences with the ASUS SC200 SCSI card?

10. Sony CSP-9211s/Asus SC200 SCSI problems

11. Asus SC200 (ncr810) scsi-2/Yamaha4260/Plextor ultraplex

12. WTB:philips cdd 2600 drives [bare]

13. Philips 2600 CDD DAO Error 'Write', Buffer is too big