Force lower spin speed

Post by Jens Wenzel Andreas » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hello all,
When I listen to MP3 from the CD drive it annoys me a lot that my
Creative 36X drive makes an infernal noise.
It shouldn't have to go blazing away at full speed as it only needs to
supply the decoder with sufficient data.
Is there a utility which allows you to force the drive to spin at a
lower speed = less noise?

Thanks,
Jens

Force lower spin speed

Post by Victor M » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

umm i dont know any but in my opinion if the drive make alot of noise just
replace it. if it is noisy that means it will fail soon
victor

Quote:> Hello all,
> When I listen to MP3 from the CD drive it annoys me a lot that my
> Creative 36X drive makes an infernal noise.
> It shouldn't have to go blazing away at full speed as it only needs to
> supply the decoder with sufficient data.
> Is there a utility which allows you to force the drive to spin at a
> lower speed = less noise?

> Thanks,
> Jens

Force lower spin speed

Post by John Nichol » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Jens,

Don't worry about your drive failing, that's not what the noise means.  At
36X and above you'll get noise if the disk itself is just a little out of
balance.  My 50X also makes a lot of startup noise, so I just don't keep a
disk in it unless I need it.  There has been a lot of discussion on this
group. They seem to agree that fast drives will make more noise than slow
ones.  Come to think of it:  a 426 Hemi Cuda used to make more noise than a
little Slant 6.  That's the sound of speed and power.

--

John Nichols
Cedar Park, TX

> umm i dont know any but in my opinion if the drive make alot of noise just
> replace it. if it is noisy that means it will fail soon
> victor

> > Hello all,
> > When I listen to MP3 from the CD drive it annoys me a lot that my
> > Creative 36X drive makes an infernal noise.
> > It shouldn't have to go blazing away at full speed as it only needs to
> > supply the decoder with sufficient data.
> > Is there a utility which allows you to force the drive to spin at a
> > lower speed = less noise?

> > Thanks,
> > Jens

Force lower spin speed

Post by Robert Laddis » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

: When I listen to MP3 from the CD drive it annoys me a lot that my
: Creative 36X drive makes an infernal noise.
: It shouldn't have to go blazing away at full speed as it only needs to
: supply the decoder with sufficient data.
: Is there a utility which allows you to force the drive to spin at a
: lower speed = less noise?

Yes, there are several. I had the same problem too. You might want to try
the following utilities:

cdromtool:      http://members.dencity.com/Naiobrin/cdromtool/home.html
drivespeed:     http://come.to/cdspeed
cdbremse:       http://home.t-online.de/home/Joern.Fiebelkorn/CDBremse.exe

Cdromtool is free, and Naiobrin is a nice person to deal with. The other 2
are shareware.

Rob

agilent.com    "A hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong." ... Author unknown

Force lower spin speed

Post by Jens Wenzel Andreas » Fri, 17 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>: Is there a utility which allows you to force the drive to spin at a
>: lower speed = less noise?

>Yes, there are several. I had the same problem too. You might want to try
>the following utilities:

>cdromtool:  http://members.dencity.com/Naiobrin/cdromtool/home.html
>drivespeed: http://come.to/cdspeed
>cdbremse:   http://home.t-online.de/home/Joern.Fiebelkorn/CDBremse.exe

Unfortunately none of them worked, simply because the drive doesn't
support the appropriate command.
The drive is a Creative 3630E
Thought you might like to know.
Thank you for your help.
Jens

Force lower spin speed

Post by Anssi Saar » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> : When I listen to MP3 from the CD drive it annoys me a lot that my
> : Creative 36X drive makes an infernal noise.
> : It shouldn't have to go blazing away at full speed as it only needs to
> : supply the decoder with sufficient data.
> : Is there a utility which allows you to force the drive to spin at a
> : lower speed = less noise?

> Yes, there are several. I had the same problem too. You might want to try
> the following utilities:

> cdromtool: http://members.dencity.com/Naiobrin/cdromtool/home.html
> drivespeed:        http://come.to/cdspeed
> cdbremse:  http://home.t-online.de/home/Joern.Fiebelkorn/CDBremse.exe

> Cdromtool is free, and Naiobrin is a nice person to deal with. The other 2
> are shareware.

I have used Toshiba's CoolLittleTool with my Toshiba 32x.  It worked,
after a fashion. After inserting a disc, the drive still wasted
several eternities accelerating the disk to high speed, then slowing
down.

Unfortunately if PacketCD is installed, it doesn't work. I wonder if
any of these programs can work with PacketCD and if they can fix the
spinup problem? I have the sinking feeling that PacketCD is such a pig
that there's no way, but maybe...

--

Force lower spin speed

Post by Todd » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

What is also annoying is that the Cool Little Tool won't work under W2k. Grrrr ...
--
Todd

1. How to lower the spinning speed

Hi,

I've recently bought a sony CD701 drive, and I was wondering if there was a
way to change the CD speed just like the Ultraplex manager.

I HATE the constant bzzzzzzzzzz sound the CD drive is doing when I'm just
reading a mp3 from a CD for example.

Thanks everyone

    Alexandre Brouaux

2. lantastic problem!!

3. Spin up, Spin down, Spin up, Spin down, Spin up, Spin down, ....

4. kpsewhich question

5. I need to slow the spin speed of an 8 speed to 2 Speed.......

6. Warning: QA/Software Testing Configuration Control

7. Software that records cdr at lower speeds?

8. Database

9. Burning at lower speed or 1x information

10. Possible to lower audio read speed with EasyCD Pro95?

11. I finding programs in order to lower the speed of reading of my cd-rom

12. Setting a lower CD speed