HP 7xxx/Philips 3610 under Linux: any success on burning over 650MB?

HP 7xxx/Philips 3610 under Linux: any success on burning over 650MB?

Post by Eran Galo » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

i have a philips 3610, and i burnt several cds under linux.  works just
fine.  however, it's not possible to write more than 650mb because of the
drive, regardless of the software.  there are very few drives that support
overburning, but you can use 80min cds to go over 650mb, although they are
difficult to find.

eran

Quote:>Hi, anyone tried to burn cds under linux with the drives above? I heard
that

Post by Decius Aiacu » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi, anyone tried to burn cds under linux with the drives above? I heard
>that it would be possible to write over the limit of 650MB under unix/linux
>systems and I was wondering whether anyone did have success. Any
>help/report appreciated. thanks

My understanding is that overburning is entirely F/W dependent.
That is, either the drive checks to see if the supplied CUE-sheet can be
accommodated on the inserted disk's nominal capacity, or not.

An added layer of restriction is due to the checking done in advance of
recording by the S/W itself.

Consequently, if a drive can not overburn under Win9x, whatever the S/W
tried, it will not be able to do so even under Linux or any other operating
system.
And this seems to be your case :-(

Of course, there is always the possibility a drive not to be able to
overburn under
Linux, even if it can do so under Windows, because your Linux S/W does not
allow this.