CD-ROM/optical drive from Panasonic

Post by Kish Shen(JRG » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I saw an ad in the June issue of Personal Computer World (a British
computer magazine) about this new CD-ROM drive from Panasonic: it is a quad
speed CD-ROM drive, and at the same time it is an optical (magneto-optic)
drive with a removable magneto-optical media which can be rewritten to.
This sounds very interesting; does anyone have more information on this
drive: availability, cost, what sort of optical media is used, performance,
etc.

Thanks in advance for any information!

--Kish Shen

CD-ROM/optical drive from Panasonic

Post by Michael Schust » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hi,

>I saw an ad in the June issue of Personal Computer World (a British
>computer magazine) about this new CD-ROM drive from Panasonic: it is a quad
>speed CD-ROM drive, and at the same time it is an optical (magneto-optic)
>drive with a removable magneto-optical media which can be rewritten to.
>This sounds very interesting; does anyone have more information on this
>drive: availability, cost, what sort of optical media is used, performance,
>etc.

I exchanged mail with someone from Matsushita in Japan about this many
months ago. If this is the same drive, it is NOT magneto-optical, but a
phase-change drive. (Remember the THOR drive that Tandy was promising
years ago but never delivered? Well.....)

--

Post by Andrew Ha » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

: Hi,

: I saw an ad in the June issue of Personal Computer World (a British
: computer magazine) about this new CD-ROM drive from Panasonic: it is a quad
: speed CD-ROM drive, and at the same time it is an optical (magneto-optic)
: drive with a removable magneto-optical media which can be rewritten to.
: This sounds very interesting; does anyone have more information on this
: drive: availability, cost, what sort of optical media is used, performance,
: etc.

: Thanks in advance for any information!

: --Kish Shen

I recieved information about the new drive from Panasonic the other day:

It will be available at the end of the month (May).

It will cost about 499 UK pounds

640MB Phase change disks which will cost about 40 UK pounds.

150K buffer cache

There are internal and external models.

I can't remember anything else off the top of my head.  If you want more
information I can look at the specs again and send you more info.  Please
email as I don't often read this newsgroup.

Andrew

CD-ROM/optical drive from Panasonic

Post by Kish Shen(JRG » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I exchanged mail with someone from Matsushita in Japan about this many
>months ago. If this is the same drive, it is NOT magneto-optical, but a
>phase-change drive. (Remember the THOR drive that Tandy was promising

If I remember correctly (the ad is at home, and I am in my office right
now), the ad did state it is a mageto-optical drive.

--Kish Shen

Post by Don Stewar » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

==========Kish Shen(JRG Ra), 09/05/95==========

>Hi,
>I saw an ad in the June issue of Personal Computer World (a British
>computer magazine) about this new CD-ROM drive from Panasonic: it is a quad
>speed CD-ROM drive, and at the same time it is an optical (magneto-optic)
>drive with a removable magneto-optical media which can be rewritten to.
>This sounds very interesting; does anyone have more information on this
>drive: availability, cost, what sort of optical media is used, performance,
>etc.
>Thanks in advance for any information!
>--Kish Shen

Cost is about 450 pounds...
Don Stewart ( Bradford UK )
These views are my own and not those of AT&T GIS.

Oh no not again !

Quote by the bowl of petunias in Hitchhikers
Guide to the Galaxy.