Which One? Kenwood72X or UltraPlex Wide 40X

Which One? Kenwood72X or UltraPlex Wide 40X

Post by Wintermut » Tue, 02 Jan 2001 07:17:22

I have to make a choice.

System:

aBit BX6 rev.1
Adaptec 2940UW
SCSI HDD
Pioneer 32x slot-in (flaking out on me)

I got a Kenwood 72x truex CD-ROM for x-mas. <twitch> wow.

Now I just wish they made a scsi 72x drive.

I have the choice to return the Kenwood and get a Plextor 17x/40x
SCSI Ultra Wide 68-pin CD-ROM. After shipping It'll be about the same
price.

The quandary I'm in is...which will be faster. I mean if I've got the
option, I might as well go for speed.

The Kenwood is way faster than the Plextor. But I've heard it has
problems reading CD-R's or CD-RW's or some such thing.

The question: If I return the Kenwood and go all scsi, I would free up
the 2 IRQ's devoted to controlling the current atapi cd rom (14 and
15) and I'll be on a 40MB/sec. scsi bus. Would the system be faster on
the whole?

If I keep the Kenwood I would have a fast and quiet cd rom but it
would take up 2 IRQ's for one device. I've tried disabling them, every
time I install windows, I disable the secondary ide channel and it
still installs it in the device manager. I've also got a pretty
crowded IRQ list. I'm now running WinMe and this new install put my
modem, NIC, and USB controller on IRQ 10. Yet IRQ 9 isn't used at all.
What the hell?

Basically do I go scsi and free up irq's (I don't even know if 2 IRQ's
will speed up anything). Or do I go speed demon kenwood cd rom 7-
laser beam craziness and have a really quiet cd?

Jody Applegate
Gamer Concepts

Post by Donovan Hawki » Tue, 02 Jan 2001 08:11:49

>I got a Kenwood 72x truex CD-ROM for x-mas. <twitch> wow.

>Now I just wish they made a scsi 72x drive.

Ditto. I have the Kenwood 72x IDE, but would love to move it over and free
an IRQ as well.

Quote:>The Kenwood is way faster than the Plextor. But I've heard it has
>problems reading CD-R's or CD-RW's or some such thing.

Yes, I have seen this as well. Some CD-Rs take way too long to be
recognized, and a few never are. I haven't benchmarked to confirm that the
read speed is also lower, but given the problems recognizing them I
suspect it is. If you also have a CD-RW drive in the system you can use it
for the troublesome CD-Rs, or you can do a few tests and stick with media
it likes. The speed is quite nice, and it's also nice to not have it spin
up like a jet engine! (unlike non-TrueX drives)

Quote:>The question: If I return the Kenwood and go all scsi, I would free up
>the 2 IRQ's devoted to controlling the current atapi cd rom (14 and
>15) and I'll be on a 40MB/sec. scsi bus. Would the system be faster on
>the whole?

Even a 72x drive only needs about 10MB/s, which is easily provided by
Ultra33 IDE. Freeing up IRQs won't do anything unless you need and can use
them.

Quote:>If I keep the Kenwood I would have a fast and quiet cd rom but it
>would take up 2 IRQ's for one device. I've tried disabling them, every
>time I install windows, I disable the secondary ide channel and it
>still installs it in the device manager.

If you disable the channel in BIOS (and Windows still lists it), does it
still work (try the Kenwood on it)? If it works then it would seem that
the BIOS is screwing up. If it doesn't then you can probably disable it in
Windows as well (remove it from the device configuration) and free the
IRQ. Windows 95 used to see my disabled COM ports (when an internal modem
was used), and I had to remove it from the device listing or live with the
exclaimation point. You get a red circle with a line through it this way;
not much better, visually speaking ;-).

Quote:> I've also got a pretty crowded IRQ list. I'm now running WinMe and this
> new install put my modem, NIC, and USB controller on IRQ 10. Yet IRQ 9
> isn't used at all. What the hell?

What cards are in what slots? There are only 4 PCI IRQs total, no matter
how many slots you have. The AGP slot and USB also use these IRQs. Usually
the AGP shares with the first PCI slot (next to the AGP). The rest share
in different ways depending on the motherboard and how many slots you
have. It is quite possible to end up with two cards and USB all sharing.
Check your motherboard manual for more info, and rearrange (if possible)
to avoid sharing. You may find that you don't need the extra IRQs if
you're forced to share IRQs anyways. I use an ISA NIC instead of PCI just
to avoid sharing.

That said, the performance loss of sharing is probably not as important as
avoiding the flaky behavior of some cards that don't share well. If
everything works then you may not need to worry about the sharing.

Lastly, IRQ 9 is usually used for ACPI (power management). If you have an
ACPI computer it should be using IRQ 9 (and may show every card as using
IRQ 9). If you don't have an ACPI and are using APM instead then ignore
this.

Quote:>Basically do I go scsi and free up irq's (I don't even know if 2 IRQ's
>will speed up anything). Or do I go speed demon kenwood cd rom 7-
>laser beam craziness and have a really quiet cd?

I think the key is the CD-R/RW support. If you can live with it the way
it is then I'd stay with the Kenwood. If you need it better then consider
another drive. I fall back to my DVD-RAM drive to read the flakey CD-Rs
myself, but it would be annoying if I used them more often.

One last thing: the Kenwood has no digital audio out (the connector is
there but it doens't work). Not a big deal to me, but it might be to
others.

Good luck!
--
Donovan Hawkins                        "The study of physics will always be
Department of Physics and Astronomy     safer than biology, for while the

Post by Wintermut » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:11:46

>>The Kenwood is way faster than the Plextor. But I've heard it has
>>problems reading CD-R's or CD-RW's or some such thing.

>Yes, I have seen this as well. Some CD-Rs take way too long to be
>recognized, and a few never are. I haven't benchmarked to confirm that the
>read speed is also lower, but given the problems recognizing them I
>suspect it is. If you also have a CD-RW drive in the system you can use it
>for the troublesome CD-Rs, or you can do a few tests and stick with media
>it likes. The speed is quite nice, and it's also nice to not have it spin
>up like a jet engine! (unlike non-TrueX drives)

I have an Iomega USB ZipCD 4x4x6x. So reading CD-R's won't be a
problem, but neither will that jet engine be a problem at 6x.

Quote:>>The question: If I return the Kenwood and go all scsi, I would free up
>>the 2 IRQ's devoted to controlling the current atapi cd rom (14 and
>>15) and I'll be on a 40MB/sec. scsi bus. Would the system be faster on
>>the whole?

>Even a 72x drive only needs about 10MB/s, which is easily provided by
>Ultra33 IDE. Freeing up IRQs won't do anything unless you need and can use
>them.

My motherboard is an Abit BX6 rev.1 so I don't think I have UDMA33.

Quote:>>If I keep the Kenwood I would have a fast and quiet cd rom but it
>>would take up 2 IRQ's for one device. I've tried disabling them, every
>>time I install windows, I disable the secondary ide channel and it
>>still installs it in the device manager.

>If you disable the channel in BIOS (and Windows still lists it), does it
>still work (try the Kenwood on it)? If it works then it would seem that
>the BIOS is screwing up. If it doesn't then you can probably disable it in
>Windows as well (remove it from the device configuration) and free the
>IRQ. Windows 95 used to see my disabled COM ports (when an internal modem
>was used), and I had to remove it from the device listing or live with the
>exclaimation point. You get a red circle with a line through it this way;
>not much better, visually speaking ;-).

I'll try that.

Quote:>> I've also got a pretty crowded IRQ list. I'm now running WinMe and this
>> new install put my modem, NIC, and USB controller on IRQ 10. Yet IRQ 9
>> isn't used at all. What the hell?

>What cards are in what slots? There are only 4 PCI IRQs total, no matter
>how many slots you have. The AGP slot and USB also use these IRQs. Usually
>the AGP shares with the first PCI slot (next to the AGP). The rest share
>in different ways depending on the motherboard and how many slots you
>have. It is quite possible to end up with two cards and USB all sharing.
>Check your motherboard manual for more info, and rearrange (if possible)
>to avoid sharing. You may find that you don't need the extra IRQs if
>you're forced to share IRQs anyways. I use an ISA NIC instead of PCI just
>to avoid sharing.

PCI #1:  Adaptec 2940UW
PCI #2:  56K modem
PCI #3:  Intel 10/100 NIC
PCI #4/ISA #1:  AWE64 (ISA)

Quote:>That said, the performance loss of sharing is probably not as important as
>avoiding the flaky behavior of some cards that don't share well. If
>everything works then you may not need to worry about the sharing.
>>Basically do I go scsi and free up irq's (I don't even know if 2 IRQ's
>>will speed up anything). Or do I go speed demon kenwood cd rom 7-
>>laser beam craziness and have a really quiet cd?

>I think the key is the CD-R/RW support. If you can live with it the way
>it is then I'd stay with the Kenwood. If you need it better then consider
>another drive. I fall back to my DVD-RAM drive to read the flakey CD-Rs
>myself, but it would be annoying if I used them more often.

I hope not to have to read CD-R's at 6X with my ZipCD.

Quote:>One last thing: the Kenwood has no digital audio out (the connector is
>there but it doens't work). Not a big deal to me, but it might be to
>others.

No big deal.

Thanks for your help, BTW. It's much appreciated!

Which One? Kenwood72X or UltraPlex Wide 40X

Post by Ivica Zune » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 10:10:52

Quote:> My motherboard is an Abit BX6 rev.1 so I don't think I have UDMA33.

Sure you have. Every motherboard for Pentium II support UDMA 33 (except
those based on Intel FX chipset).

Post by Ron Reaug » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 11:35:57

>> My motherboard is an Abit BX6 rev.1 so I don't think I have UDMA33.

>Sure you have. Every motherboard for Pentium II support UDMA 33 (except
>those based on Intel FX chipset).

And HX chipset.

Which One? Kenwood72X or UltraPlex Wide 40X

Post by Wintermut » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 14:36:23

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 02:10:52 +0100, "Ivica Zunec"

>> My motherboard is an Abit BX6 rev.1 so I don't think I have UDMA33.

>Sure you have. Every motherboard for Pentium II support UDMA 33 (except
>those based on Intel FX chipset).

Wow! I didn't know that. I really should download the manual. Bought
the thing used for a song, really like it though. I'm living on the
trailing edge.

Which One? Kenwood72X or UltraPlex Wide 40X

Post by Hans » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 19:38:59

I have got the 52X SCSI. It wasn't cheap, and it is fast, make no mistake.
But it is a very finicky reader when it comes to CDRs, and fails to read
most or all CDRWs.
This is due to the design of the laser pickup (Zen 7 laser prism).
There is also an issue with the Diablo II CDs which is known to Kenwood and
Blizzard.
It can be fixed by firmware upgrade though. But the worst thing last: The
drive does not support DAE (digital audio extraction). At least the 52X
doesn't. May be different with the 72X.

On the other hand, the plextor doesn't suffer any of these problems. In
fact, it is one of the most dependable and trusted brands for CD-ROM (and
CDRW) drives out there. If I had known that back then, I would have bought a
Plextor model instead (the 52X was US $150). If I had the opportunity to
choose between the two again, I'd go Plextor- without hesitation.

Post by Goran Marini » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:25:32

> >> My motherboard is an Abit BX6 rev.1 so I don't think I have UDMA33.

> >Sure you have. Every motherboard for Pentium II support UDMA 33 (except
> >those based on Intel FX chipset).

> And HX chipset.

Which is not for Pentium II, so...

Post by Ron Reaug » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 21:04:43

>> >Sure you have. Every motherboard for Pentium II support UDMA 33 (except
>> >those based on Intel FX chipset).

>> And HX chipset.

>Which is not for Pentium II, so...

The only FX chipset mobo's that supported the PII included the HX chipset's
EIDE controller(82371xx).

Post by Goran Marini » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 04:06:25

> >> And HX chipset.

> >Which is not for Pentium II, so...

> The only FX chipset mobo's that supported the PII included the HX
chipset's
> EIDE controller(82371xx).

And why did you have to add that "and HX chipset" then? Is it relevant in
any way to the question asked?

Which One? Kenwood72X or UltraPlex Wide 40X

Post by J.B. Nicholson-Owe » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 07:17:00

 Appropriate groups were left out, one group was unnecessary, one group was
 punctuated incorrectly (citing invalid group names) and there was no
 articles are a good sign of clueless spam (meriting being killed), but I'm
 feeling generous so I cleaned it up and directed followups to an
 appropriate place.]

> Now I just wish they [Kenwood] made a scsi 72x drive.

Me too.  I'd consider getting one if they did.

Quote:> I have the choice to return the Kenwood and get a Plextor 17x/40x SCSI
> Ultra Wide 68-pin CD-ROM. After shipping It'll be about the same price.

I think you should.  My Plextor UW 40X is quite a workhorse and very
dependable.  It reads ISRCs, UPCs, has a secure C2 detection (very handy for
speedy ripping), works with every disc one is likely to need to support and
is quite fast (roughly 20X max DAE on some discs).  I frequently rip with it
using EAC (<http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/>) on Windows 2000.  The Kenwood
won't rip scratched audio CDs as quickly as the Plextor UW 40X (or the
Plextor 40X MAX which is a narrow SCSI version of the same drive).  On top
of all that, it is flash upgradeable (and updates are on Plextor's site in
an easily found location).

Quote:> The Kenwood is way faster than the Plextor. But I've heard it has problems
> reading CD-R's or CD-RW's or some such thing.

I don't know about reading CD-RWs or CD-Rs but on clean CDs, the Kenwood
will rip far faster than the Plextor.  In my opinion it is silly to keep
that drive for the small percentage of flawless audio CDs you're likely to
rip from.

Quote:> The question: If I return the Kenwood and go all scsi, [...] [would] the
> system be faster on the whole?

I don't know, but you'd save an IDE space for an inexpensive HD.  That's
worth something.

Which One? Kenwood72X or UltraPlex Wide 40X

Post by skydiver.. » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 20:45:38

Go with the Plextor SCSI 40x drive.  You won't be sorry.

> I have to make a choice.

> System:

> aBit BX6 rev.1
> Adaptec 2940UW
> SCSI HDD
> Pioneer 32x slot-in (flaking out on me)

> I got a Kenwood 72x truex CD-ROM for x-mas. <twitch> wow.

> Now I just wish they made a scsi 72x drive.

> I have the choice to return the Kenwood and get a Plextor 17x/40x
> SCSI Ultra Wide 68-pin CD-ROM. After shipping It'll be about the same
> price.

> The quandary I'm in is...which will be faster. I mean if I've got the
> option, I might as well go for speed.

> The Kenwood is way faster than the Plextor. But I've heard it has
> problems reading CD-R's or CD-RW's or some such thing.

> The question: If I return the Kenwood and go all scsi, I would free up
> the 2 IRQ's devoted to controlling the current atapi cd rom (14 and
> 15) and I'll be on a 40MB/sec. scsi bus. Would the system be faster on
> the whole?

> If I keep the Kenwood I would have a fast and quiet cd rom but it
> would take up 2 IRQ's for one device. I've tried disabling them, every
> time I install windows, I disable the secondary ide channel and it
> still installs it in the device manager. I've also got a pretty
> crowded IRQ list. I'm now running WinMe and this new install put my
> modem, NIC, and USB controller on IRQ 10. Yet IRQ 9 isn't used at all.
> What the hell?

> Basically do I go scsi and free up irq's (I don't even know if 2 IRQ's
> will speed up anything). Or do I go speed demon kenwood cd rom 7-
> laser beam craziness and have a really quiet cd?

> Jody Applegate
> Gamer Concepts

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Which One? Kenwood72X or UltraPlex Wide 40X

Post by Lupin » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:24:51

Neither.  Well, almost.  Get the Plextor but not in the Wide version.  See
http://www.storagereview.com for details as to why.

Lupine

--
replace nospam with 7up1n3 to reply direct
System Specs:

128mb Mushkin PC133 cas2 sdram
Hercules GeForce2 GTS 64mb DDR
Adaptec 2940U2W