Sudden problem burning with Sony 920S: fails while writing TOC, but tests ok

Sudden problem burning with Sony 920S: fails while writing TOC, but tests ok

Post by Geoff Ta » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Question for the smarty-pantzes...

I've got an old Sony Spressa 920S 2x/2x. Up till now, it's worked
great - the only coasters were software related. All of a sudden,
however, I can't seem to get a good burn. 5 misses in a row.

The burn appears good, but it fails while writing the TOC. I get a
"buffer underrun" and "can't find part of disk to write" and all sorts
of errors. Some appear random. In test mode, it doesn't have a problem
at all! What does this mean?

 I know my hardware connections are sometimes flaky (P166MMX that's
been messed with a lot) but I've double and triple checked everything.
I use Maxell Green/Blues and have never had a problem with them for a
year. Used to use Sonys and whatever else and never had a problem with
any kind of media. Adaptec 1535 card has also never given me problems.

What could be wrong? Is my unit suddenly bad overnight?

Please help! I have like 2.5GB of data I need to get off my harddrive
in a hurry. I literally burned a couple of good ones just the other
day. I'm stumped.

Thanks for any advice or guidance!

===
-GT

Sudden problem burning with Sony 920S: fails while writing TOC, but tests ok

Post by Paris Pasvanti » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Since you use an Adaptec, I suggest trying to reinstall miniport and aspi
drivers

--
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\///////////////////////////////>
<--------------------------------------------------------------->

Sudden problem burning with Sony 920S: fails while writing TOC, but tests ok

Post by Geoff Ta » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I tried reinstalling everything - card, burner, the works. But I still
keep getting the same errors. Here's the one I usually get:

"CD recorder error - cannot seek to the requested location"

Any other ideas? Thanks!

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998 01:57:02 +0200, Paris Pasvantis

>Since you use an Adaptec, I suggest trying to reinstall miniport and aspi
>drivers

>> Question for the smarty-pantzes...

>> I've got an old Sony Spressa 920S 2x/2x. Up till now, it's worked
>> great - the only coasters were software related. All of a sudden,
>> however, I can't seem to get a good burn. 5 misses in a row.

>> The burn appears good, but it fails while writing the TOC. I get a
>> "buffer underrun" and "can't find part of disk to write" and all sorts
>> of errors. Some appear random. In test mode, it doesn't have a problem
>> at all! What does this mean?

>>  I know my hardware connections are sometimes flaky (P166MMX that's
>> been messed with a lot) but I've double and triple checked everything.
>> I use Maxell Green/Blues and have never had a problem with them for a
>> year. Used to use Sonys and whatever else and never had a problem with
>> any kind of media. Adaptec 1535 card has also never given me problems.

>> What could be wrong? Is my unit suddenly bad overnight?

>> Please help! I have like 2.5GB of data I need to get off my harddrive
>> in a hurry. I literally burned a couple of good ones just the other
>> day. I'm stumped.

>> Thanks for any advice or guidance!

>> ===
>> -GT

===
-GT

Sudden problem burning with Sony 920S: fails while writing TOC, but tests ok

Post by Paris Pasvanti » Mon, 14 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Sorry, no other ideas except trying gold Mitsui -not Mitsumi- media and trying
to read a lot of data from the drive to see if it is a general drive problem.
If I were you and if these failed, I would consider the drive dead and buy
another, these optoelectronic things are not meant to last for long, sad to
say...

--
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\///////////////////////////////>
<--------------------------------------------------------------->
<--Visit the constantly expanded Pasvantis Publications site at->
<-------------------http://pasvantis.cjb.net/------------------->
<-for always accurate information on Hardware/Software/Freeware->
<----and independent underground content on Music and Science--->
<--------------------------------------------------------------->
<////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>

1. Finalising fails although the test is OK

I have been recording CDR for a year now, and I have only had minor
problems.
Suddenly Im having trouble when I record files from my HD.

My recorder records the session as usual and starts finalising, but it never
finish even if I do a successful test at first.
My system freezes and I have to restart.
The disc is most often ruined, but sometimes I can fix it with my software's
Finalize Disc function.
How can I prevent that this annoying problem repeats?

My system:
PC (AMD K6-300) with 128 Mb RAM
Win 98 4.10
Acer Vuego CRW6206A  firmware version 1.3A
I am currently using CDRWIN 3.7b with 4 Mb cache and a full to empty ratio
of 15/85 %

I have tried a lot of CDR brands, and the problem is there with all of them.
I prefer Kodak discs (but they are a bit expensive at the moment :-)).

Note that I have disabled Auto Notification on my recorder as well as my
ordinary Cdr-drive.
I have also enabled the Disconnect option and the Sync data transfer
option.

I have tried to defrag my HD, make a partition exclusively for the
Image-file and  record at 1x speed.

Any ideas?

2. Shutdown

3. Finalising fails even when test is OK

4. Dollars and $ense 5.0

5. Sony 920s, Toast, Hybrid ->ok on Mac & Win95, not on Win 3.11

6. 2 x 1 Switch box for HP 3100????

7. RICOH 6200s: CD burns but TOC creation fails

8. cakewalk 6 system requirements?

9. Help: CD-RW fails to write TOC

10. Philips CD2000 2x write/4x read VS Sony 920S 2x read/write

11. SONY fails at the end of my recorded CD, other makes work OK

12. Test is ok every time but still get burn errors

13. New Sony CDU-920S CD-R, anyone tested ?