Best Packet-Writing sw?

Post by Marcell » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:47:21

Which is the best one for you?
Thank u! Marcello.

Best Packet-Writing sw?

Post by James Tonsage » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:18:50

None.

Quote:> Which is the best one for you?
> Thank u! Marcello.

Best Packet-Writing sw?

Post by Graham Mayo » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 19:27:39

Packet writing is a rather flaky operation, and while I, for example, have
had no major problems with Direct CD 2.5d, I have felt no inclination either
to upgrade it or use it for anything for which I did not have another
backup. It is simpler and more reliable to use a disc mastering application
in conjunction with your re-writable discs - something that works, like
CDRWIN!

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

Quote:> Which is the best one for you?
> Thank u! Marcello.

Best Packet-Writing sw?

Post by David Chie » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 04:07:45

They all work as long as you understand what they do.  Adaptec, Nero, NTI's,
etc. all work fine and w/o any problems.  You just drag and copy files onto the
CD-Rs just like a floppy disk.
Really no features that'll make one stand out vs. another because they all do
this the same.

BUT, the biggest problem?  Not one of them is 'standard', meaning that a packet
written CD made on one machine with one brand of software probably won't work on
another PC with another brand of software.  Heck, even version changes mess
everything up - eg. like how DirectCD ver. 1 & 2 & 3+ aren't compatible, so you
are stuck having to erase old CD-RW discs formatted in older versions to make
them work with the newer versions, or simply not upgrading.

You can see how messy it can get, and who knows? Maybe years from now, they
won't even have any support for that particular version and disc you've made way
back then.

--

The smartest alternative?  Simply write multi-sessions using any of the popular
programs today to the CD-Rs, and even with an obsolete 16x burner, that's only 5

--

Not to say packet writing won't work great for you, but you should at least
consider the consequences if you do use packet writing.

d =)

Best Packet-Writing sw?

Post by BudB » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 06:11:41

I use VOB's InstantWrite (from InstantBackup package) and find it works
well. Contrary to some of the other opinions expressed here, I find packet
writing to be very useful in a programming environment. I simply close the
CD to ISO standards (a standard feature of the program) and then it's
readable on any Windows CD. Note that I'm not talking about music files here
(CDA) but data files of which MP3 is one type.

Quote:> Which is the best one for you?
> Thank u! Marcello.

Best Packet-Writing sw?

Post by Folkert Rienstr » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 07:04:19

: They all work as long as you understand what they do.  Adaptec, Nero, NTI's,
: etc. all work fine and w/o any problems.  You just drag and copy files onto the
: CD-Rs just like a floppy disk.
: Really no features that'll make one stand out vs. another because they all do
: this the same.

Oh?
I think NTI's FileCD works different.

:
: BUT, the biggest problem?  Not one of them is 'standard', meaning that a packet
: written CD made on one machine with one brand of software probably won't work on
: another PC with another brand of software.  Heck, even version changes mess
: everything up - eg. like how DirectCD ver. 1 & 2 & 3+ aren't compatible, so you
: are stuck having to erase old CD-RW discs formatted in older versions to make
: them work with the newer versions, or simply not upgrading.

As FileCD doesn't need a driver it may be free of those problems.

:
: You can see how messy it can get, and who knows? Maybe years from now, they
: won't even have any support for that particular version and disc you've made way
: back then.
:
: --
:
: The smartest alternative?  Simply write multi-sessions using any of the popular
: programs today to the CD-Rs, and even with an obsolete 16x burner, that's only 5
: minutes for the entire 700MB disc (so naturally, a few files take just a couple
: dozen seconds at most to write).  A little more cumbersome because you must
: startup the CD writing program, but better in the long run because you won't
: have a lot of unreadable/unwritable discs in the future.
:
: --
:
: Not to say packet writing won't work great for you, but you should at least
: consider the consequences if you do use packet writing.
:
: d =)
:

Best Packet-Writing sw?

Post by Viola Widefiel » Mon, 09 Jul 2001 05:52:43

I like InstantWrite from VOb most. Actually this is the only on which works
reliable for me...

Quote:> Which is the best one for you?
> Thank u! Marcello.

1. packet writing SW - a few general questions

I've just gotten into packet writing of CDRWs, and finding myself back
in usenet looking for answers... (yes, I did read the FAQ & other ref
info)...

- Why do the different packet writing tools seem to be so incompatible
with each other? Is there a problem getting all involved on the same
wavelength?

- Is there one PW tool or standard that looks to be taking over as the
dominant or most popular one?

- Is there any OS that can properly write PW CDRW natively, un such a
way that the incompatibilities between Roxio & INCD etc are eliminated?

- Why doesn't Win XP or even 2K have built in support for this? Is it
THAT new a technology?

- I've been using INCD that came with my LG CDRW drive. I find it rather
strange (yet not impossible) that this technology is so immature that in
order for anyone else to read that CD, they must have a custom driver
installed on their machine. How then does one read that data on a
machine they don't have admin rights to?

- Can the driver installed on reader machines to access the PW CDRW data
cause any problems when reading regular CDR CDs? or other CDRW ones?

- We just had some major "fun" trying to get a packet written CDRW disc
of mine read by some CDROM drives at a friends place. It seems
reasonable that the older drives couldn't cope - but one was a 52x - is
that not recent enough to be able to read such a disc?

Heck... I even had my own machine (that wrote the disc) tell me that it
was in a foreign format (on re-insertion), and that I'd need to install
the driver to read it. Reinserted the disc, & it then worked fine.

Crikey, I thought the whole buffer underrun problem with older CDR
drives was bad enough - little did I know what hassles were ahead of me.
Grrrr...

sTu.

2. trim size and margins?

3. best packet writing software ?

4. OO technique -- Delegation

5. the BEST packet writing software

6. mail backup host

7. What's the best packet writing software for a CD-RW?

8. Video Drivers -> PM &

9. JVC packet-writing on a MAC!!??

10. Can the Yamaha CDR 100 be upgraded to support packet-writing?

11. Packet-Writing

12. S: Packet-Writing Software

13. Packet-Writing problem