New here ... Roxio questions

New here ... Roxio questions

Post by Kami » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:33:22




>> I still don't understand why you first have to erase the files on the RW.  Don't
>> files with the same name overwrite them, as they would on a hard drive, floppy,
>> or zip drive?

>> Kami

>No.  I'm not sure what would happen if multiple sessions have files of the
>same name.  I assume that the software used to access / read the CD would
>choose the file with the more recent date.  The other good reason to erase
>the disc when you are re-writing data (like a backup) is that when you erase
>the disc, you then have the entire disc capacity at your disposal.  If you
>just append another session, the original sessions are still there taking up
>space.

>A CD-RW disc is not like a floppy disk, except when you use the "less
>reliable" packet writing format.  A CD-RW is really more like a data tape.
>The CD-RW (or tape) cannot write over what has already been written to the
>disc.  New sessions are appended, and, provided you link the sessions when
>you add the subsequent sessions, all the files can be seen and accessed.
>The other option is to erase the disc and write an entire new set of data.

Uh.... I am using the "less reliable" packet writing format" with the RW's.  So
far, they've "behaved" better than the R's.  I alternate two for backups of my
news/email reader.  Those are the ones on which I keep overwriting the files.

The other RW's are additional copies of files I have elsewhere; I add to the
files, not overwrite them.

Thanx for the explanation.

Kami

--
email to furpods at mindspring dot com

 
 
 

New here ... Roxio questions

Post by Big Do » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:46:08


If you're using Outlook Express, go to Message, Block Sender, and click YES!

 
 
 

New here ... Roxio questions

Post by smh » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:27:26




> >> Question:  Why rename files, instead of deleting them, or moving them off the
> >> HD?

> >cRoxio is saying that.  Delete them.

> >> I also note that it says re the Registry editing: "We recommend that if you do
> >> not feel comfortable editing your registry that you skip this step."  Yet,
> >> some of the replies here have said that this is essential.

> >> I feel nervous enough about making major changes!

> >Cleaning the registry is a must for reinstall/upgrade the POS.  You
> >don't need to, but I would delete them as that will clean out over 64K
> >bytes of cd drive info.

> Thanks again.

> What's "POS"?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=POS
 
 
 

New here ... Roxio questions

Post by Kami » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:06:47



>> What's "POS"?

>http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=POS

:-)

--
email to furpods at mindspring dot com

 
 
 

New here ... Roxio questions

Post by Brian » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:37:50



Quote:

> Thanks!  Which software are you using? (Sorry if I missed this in another
thread.)

> Kami

I use Click'N Burn version 2 for writing both audio and data CDs.  I use
Exact Audio Copy to extract audio CD content to my hard drive.

If you are interested in Click'N Burn, be sure to get version 2, versions
1.X have a bug in the CD-Text feature (for putting album/artist/song title
information on audio CDs).  RecordNow MAX is made by the same company, Stomp
Inc., as CNB.  RecordNow MAX has a few cosmetic changes to the interface and
includes some other features I don't need.  I think Stomp Inc. no longer
makes CNB, instead choosing to promote the more expensive and newer
RecordNow MAX.  You still should be able to find copies of CNB version 2
available (I saw a copy of version 1.? at Circuit City last month).  I think
CNB version 2 used to sell for around $40, it should be cheaper now that it
is no longer a current product.

 
 
 

New here ... Roxio questions

Post by Kami » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:36:43



>> Thanks!  Which software are you using? (Sorry if I missed this in another
>thread.)

>> Kami

>I use Click'N Burn version 2 for writing both audio and data CDs.  I use
>Exact Audio Copy to extract audio CD content to my hard drive.

>If you are interested in Click'N Burn, be sure to get version 2, versions
>1.X have a bug in the CD-Text feature (for putting album/artist/song title
>information on audio CDs).  RecordNow MAX is made by the same company, Stomp
>Inc., as CNB.  RecordNow MAX has a few cosmetic changes to the interface and
>includes some other features I don't need.  I think Stomp Inc. no longer
>makes CNB, instead choosing to promote the more expensive and newer
>RecordNow MAX.  You still should be able to find copies of CNB version 2
>available (I saw a copy of version 1.? at Circuit City last month).  I think
>CNB version 2 used to sell for around $40, it should be cheaper now that it
>is no longer a current product.

Thanks.  Now I remember reading this before. (-:  

CNB is still mentioned on Stomp's website.

Kami

--
email to furpods at mindspring dot com

 
 
 

New here ... Roxio questions

Post by Kami » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:06:15


I d/l the UDF Reader, just in case.  But I'm unsure of the instructions.  First
it says install the reader, then.... read the last line below. (:

Kami



>> Okay.  What about unfinalized DirectCD R's?  Yeah, I know, I *should* finalize
>> them.

>(In the following put the unfinalized cd-r in the *BURNER*.)

>Try this first.  Install udf reader:

>http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/software_updatesv4.jhtml
>(at bottom of the page)

>Does Windows Explorer show the files? (If you get prompted to install
>udf reader, do *NOT* let it.)

<lots of snipping>

--
email to furpods at mindspring dot com

 
 
 

New here ... Roxio questions

Post by smh » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 02:15:33


You don't need the udf reader, now that you are going to install DLA.
The udf reader is needed only when you don't have any packet writer
installed.  DLA install should take care of it.

> I d/l the UDF Reader, just in case.  But I'm unsure of the instructions.  First
> it says install the reader, then.... read the last line below. (:



> >> Okay.  What about unfinalized DirectCD R's?  Yeah, I know, I *should* finalize
> >> them.

> >(In the following put the unfinalized cd-r in the *BURNER*.)

> >Try this first.  Install udf reader:

> >http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/software_updatesv4.jhtml
> >(at bottom of the page)

> >Does Windows Explorer show the files? (If you get prompted to install
> >udf reader, do *NOT* let it.)

> <lots of snipping>

> --
> email to furpods at mindspring dot com

 
 
 

New here ... Roxio questions

Post by smh » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 02:36:51




> > Any wonder why they say "Easy CD CreMator"?

> > (Was that you who coined it? <G>)

> I have first-hand experience as to why the terms "Easy CD Cremator", "Sleazy
> CD Creator" and others are widely used.  I'm sure I didn't invent the term,
> I may have been the first to use it frequently on this NG.

I've been lax in giving the credit.  Shall try to rectify it in the
future.
 
 
 

New here ... Roxio questions

Post by Kami » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 02:31:57


I thought I could use the UDF Reader to read CD-RW's created with DCD.

Kami


>You don't need the udf reader, now that you are going to install DLA.
>The udf reader is needed only when you don't have any packet writer
>installed.  DLA install should take care of it.


>> I d/l the UDF Reader, just in case.  But I'm unsure of the instructions.  First
>> it says install the reader, then.... read the last line below. (:



>> >> Okay.  What about unfinalized DirectCD R's?  Yeah, I know, I *should* finalize
>> >> them.

>> >(In the following put the unfinalized cd-r in the *BURNER*.)

>> >Try this first.  Install udf reader:

>> >http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/software_updatesv4.jhtml
>> >(at bottom of the page)

>> >Does Windows Explorer show the files? (If you get prompted to install
>> >udf reader, do *NOT* let it.)

>> <lots of snipping>

>> --
>> email to furpods at mindspring dot com

--
email to furpods at mindspring dot com