I know it's connected, but the Pc says it's not!

I know it's connected, but the Pc says it's not!

Post by Geoff Coate » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Being not worth, I cast myself prostrate at the feet of anyone
knowledgeable, or to be quite frank, anyone interested enough in reading
this missive!
My problem is that I have an old (brought new in 92) 486/33 with a 120MG
HDD, on which I'm trying to hook up a CD drive. Running it the same way
- connected to the HDD, and through the HDD controller, it works fine on
a newer (albeit EIDE ) machine, but on the old 486 I get the message:
"No device drives found, aborting installation." Then the next line
comes up:
C:\>C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:NEC_CD
Device driver not found: 'NEC_CD'
No valid CDROM device drivers selected.

Although the CD is an NEC X4, I get the same result using a Creatives
X24, so I assume it's not the install program, as each CD comes with its
own. Naturally, I have tried different data cables, as I know they can
sometimes cause problems, but it's all been to no avail.
        So if there is someone wiilling out there, who can help me on
this, you'll inherit a friend for life - whether you want one or not!

Thanks in anticipation,

--
Geoff Coates

Post by Rebe » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>My problem is that I have an old (brought new in 92) 486/33 with a 120MG
>HDD, on which I'm trying to hook up a CD drive. Running it the same way
>- connected to the HDD, and through the HDD controller, it works fine on
>a newer (albeit EIDE ) machine, but on the old 486 I get the message:
>"No device drives found, aborting installation." Then the next line
>comes up:

It is very likely that your old 486/33 does not have an EIDE disk controller.
The old specs for IDE provided only for connecting hard drives.  Back then
your only option for a CD drive was to use a SCSI model or a propriatary model
that connected to the sound card.  Given that you have had no problems getting
the drive to work on the EIDE machine I would be tempted to rule out
user/configuration errors as the cause of your troubles.  I do believe that
486 machines did not have on board IDE controllers on the mainboard, so your
best bet would be to replace the old IDE controller board with an EIDE
controller.

1. my CD-R it′s not recognized when i try to record something!

Ive bought a TEAC CDR 56S, and a TEKRAM DC-390 SCSI 2 host adapter but im
having problems with the CDR.
The CD can be controled via Software and apears to be OK. But when i try to
record, a message is shown saying that the CD is not found or something like
that!
Ive downloaded the drivers and ive tried to instal them but it seems i
cant do it properly and the problem remains!
~WHAT SHALL I DO???!!!
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
THANKS!

2. Novell Print Queues

3. "Solved"!: Ricoh 6200 CDRW not erasing CDRW (ECDC 'erases', but not erased)

4. ps/pdf viewer with scales?

5. Anyone know how to burn mp3's NOT in alphabetical order?

6. Forcing Replication

7. Don't know who makes this drive anybody know?

8. Ricoh 6200 CDRW not erasing CDRW (ECDC 'erases', but not erased)

9. Second Floppy 'B' Not showing up in 'My computer'

10. Want to know the 'COST' of media is?

11. ''''''''"Hmmm, What to buy?"'''''''''''

12. Can't backup any of the You Don't Know Jack CD's...anyone know why?