Test

Post by Mike » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:50:12

I'm trying my hand at making bootable slipstreamed copies of my WinXP and
W2K CD's with service packs integrated. I've looked at quite a few web
tutorials and understand the basic process. I'm hung up on file name
issues when burning the CD. The original Microsoft CD's are in ISO9660
format yet clearly contain directory entries having long file names (while
others, curiously, are represented only as truncated 8+3 versions that, I
assume, are renamed during the install).

As I understand it, Microsoft distribution CD's are mastered using a
special utility (CDIMAGE) which allows redundant directory entries for
the same file to be mapped to a single file, and also support LFN extensions
to ISO9660. I'm using ECDC5, and have tutorials which go through the CD
project setup for this program.

They all say to use ISO9660 format, and one says that in ECDC "long file
name support is enabled by default". Well, in mine it isn't ... but I can
turn it on manually. Trouble is, when so set up, ECDC prompts me to rename
numerous file names to conform to ISO9660 rules ... mainly replacing the ~
character with _. Now I'm sure that renaming files would cause a file copy
error during install.

So I tried Joliet, as someone told me that a Joliet CD "has an ISO9660
file structure anyway". No problem with file renaming now. But if I boot
to pure DOS and do a file compare between the source files and my burned
CD, a few files fail because they can't be found. Which ones? Oh, the ones
with long file names, of course. I assume that it's because DOS and
ISO9660 do different things when representing LFN's in 8+3 format.
But is it important at all that the file names be the same under DOS?
Or should I just stick to Joliet where all the file names match .. at
least under Windows.

Anyone with hands-on experience doing this under ECDC5, and having
actually INSTALLED from a CD so created - please chime in.

Test

Post by Mike » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:01:51

Sorry about the previous iteration which came out with the wrong subject
line. In case it was missed: