HP SureStore 4020i & reading burned disks

HP SureStore 4020i & reading burned disks

Post by Gert Van Regemorte » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hello everyone,

I have a very strange problem with my new CD-writer HP 4020i.

If I write a disk everything goes perfect. The software (I use Easy CD
Pro for Windows 95) replies that my disk is succesfully written.

Now if I try to read the disk in the writer or in an IDE cd-rom drive,
I can only read the contents of it. I can only read the directory and
the sub-dirs. If I try to run an executable of the CD I get an error.

The errors are from different kinds of types. So I only can read the
contents, but cannot run the DOS applications which are on the disk.

Is there anyone who can tell me what's wrong ??

(is there maybe a hardware problem with the writer ???)

some more info : I use a pentium 133 with 32megs ram, windows 95, easy
cd pro for win 95 and the  scsi controller that came with the writer.

all info is very much appreciated.

thnx and

bibi

Post by Dominique Vernier » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Hello everyone,

> I have a very strange problem with my new CD-writer HP 4020i.

> If I write a disk everything goes perfect. The software (I use Easy CD
> Pro for Windows 95) replies that my disk is succesfully written.

> Now if I try to read the disk in the writer or in an IDE cd-rom drive,
> I can only read the contents of it. I can only read the directory and
> the sub-dirs. If I try to run an executable of the CD I get an error.

> The errors are from different kinds of types. So I only can read the
> contents, but cannot run the DOS applications which are on the disk.

> Is there anyone who can tell me what's wrong ??

> (is there maybe a hardware problem with the writer ???)

> some more info : I use a pentium 133 with 32megs ram, windows 95, easy
> cd pro for win 95 and the  scsi controller that came with the writer.

Hello Gert,

I'm Dominique and I have the same problem and I really mean the exact
same problem.

I bought the HP SureStore 4020i 3 days ago and I wasted 2 cd's yet.
If I write my cdr with easy cd 95, the software tells me also
everything went allright. I tried to copy a dos game on my cd. I first
copied the whole game from my original cd to my hard disk to avoid
a buffer underrun.

I can also read my cdr without any problem : I can do a dir-command and
browse through the whole cd and all the sessions on it. I can even read
ascii text-files and I also managed to view a bmp-file from my cdr.
But when I tried to run the install program from my cdr in dos or win95
all I got was an error or my pc just crashed. It almost seems like the
hp cdrecorder writes all files in ascii-mode in stead of binary mode to
the cdr. I also tried a win-application and here the setup program
started but it crashed one minute after the start.

Here is my hardware : pentium 120, 32 MB EDO RAM, 4.3 Gb, Win95,
Easy cd 95, same scsi controller as you.

Now Gert, I want to ask you something. I see you are also connected to
innet
Belgium. I wonder where you bought your writer. I live in Antwerp and I
bought mine in this store : Microman Boomses*weg 48, 2630 Aartselaar.
If you did buy it there then it is possible that microman bought a whole
shipment
of defect cdwriters.

Anyway tomorrow Monday 30/9/96 I am calling HP Belgium : 02/778 38 00

Any Information from people who can help me : mail me at

                                        Dominique Verniers. Belgium, Antwerp.

HP SureStore 4020i & reading burned disks

Post by Charlie Clement » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have the same problem. The disk writes ok on the 4020i but will not
read in my Mitsumi IDE CD.
diagnose\cddiag.exe reports : Unfinished sess: YES
This is a clue, i feel, as Easy-CD 95 may not be closing the sessions
properly.

How do you close a session anyway?

Charlie Clements, Dublin

HP SureStore 4020i & reading burned disks

Post by Davi » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Dominique,

My name is David. I live in Florida and bought my CD-R here. I have the
same problem. I had alot of trouble getting a successful copy but after
copying all the files to the hard drive first, using single speed I got
a successful copy. The HP reads it fine but my scsi NEC Multispin 6x
gives me all kinds of errors trying to read the disk. I  copied a game
successfully, but can not run the install or the game from my 6x.

I have a Pentium 133, 48 mg of ram, I have the HP hooked up on its own
scsi card and the 6x on an adeptec 2940uw.

Did you get any answers or help from HP or anyon?

Please help, I now have a matching set of five coasters.

Post by Joel Ma » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hello everyone,

> I have a very strange problem with my new CD-writer HP 4020i.

> If I write a disk everything goes perfect. The software (I use Easy CD
> Pro for Windows 95) replies that my disk is succesfully written.

I was having similar problems.  I would create a CD-ROM on my 4020i,
and was able to read it on the same machine, but had problems reading
it on other machines.  Some CD-ROM readers had problems reading the
disk and some did not.

I wrote a program that generates checksums of all the files that
are to be copied to the CD-ROM and put this checksum file on
the CD-ROM.  With this, I found that some CD-ROM readers did indead
have checksum errors on some of the files, but not all.  Other
CD-ROM drives read the disks no problem.

I have Win3.1 and Win95 on my machine with the 4020i.  When I burn
CD-ROMs under Win3.1, I do not have this problem.  This makes no
sense to me, but there it is.

We purchased CDR Publisher a couple weeks ago, and now use this to
burn CD-ROMs under Win95.  I am having no checksum errors with this.

Joel

HP SureStore 4020i & reading burned disks

Post by Randy Whit » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Dito, I have the exact same Problem Firmware is ?.27

HP SureStore 4020i & reading burned disks

Post by Richard Adam » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Joel,

I had related problems in the cd reading but these were not with
the written cds, but a problem with the 4020 drives and interface.
The problems I describe here occur when reading both pressed silver
cds and cd-writables.

I found that the older style Advansys interface that
HP supplied would occasionally drop a bit.  This means that when I
used the HP4020 to read from a CD, the cd image on the hard drive
was corrupted.  A process to compute checksums from the original
CD wouldn't help in this case.  Extracting a contribution I made
to Greg Volk's HP4020 FAQ,

    "The one (HP supplied Advansys SCSI interface ISA card)
     that caused the read errors had the following chips:
     two of IS61C256AH-20J, two of ML6509CD, one of Atmel
     16FE-17, one of Advansys ASC900, one of IS93C46-3GR."

Greg Volk's FAQ is posted here and can be obtained from:
ftp://freon.republic.k12.mo.us/pub/hp4020i_faq/hp4020i_faq.txt
                    OR
http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/HP-FAQ.html

While checking some replacement drives HP sent me, I found
one that would read completely wrong data, not just dropped
bits, as if it was reading from the wrong place on the CD.
This was a problem with the drive.  Interestingly enough when
talking to HP people about the problem, the commented that they
had another customer with the same problem at the same time.

I checked 9 other CD rom readers all the way from 1X to 8X, both
IDE, panasonic, and SCSI type each reading for several days,
and never found a single bit wrong during readback from any
except the HP4020 with the mentioned advansys interface.  The
HP4020 drive that read many sections wrong produced many errors
which was easier to spot.

Clarifying: Two separate and unique problems with HP supplied
hardware cause the HP4020/interface system to currupt the data
which the 4020 reads.  One was a problem with the HP supplied
Advansys interface card, the other problem was with the 4020 drive.

I would be interested in your program to compute checksums for
files.  Did you use some CRC or a straight sum?  Microsoft has
supplied a program called WINDIFF which is a windows based progam
to allow comparing entire disks, all files and subdirectories.
It seems to use a checksum method.  Although the msdos "FC" utility
provides byte by byte binary comparisons, its difficult to use
across subdirectories.  There is a freeware msdos program called
DIRCOMP which does a byte by byte comparison of entire disks all
files and subdirectories that I use.  It turns out that DIRCOMP
is faster than other comparison programs, but I would be interesed
in your checksum computing program.

Richard

> I was having similar problems.  I would create a CD-ROM on my 4020i,
> and was able to read it on the same machine, but had problems reading
> it on other machines.  Some CD-ROM readers had problems reading the
> disk and some did not.

> I wrote a program that generates checksums of all the files that
> are to be copied to the CD-ROM and put this checksum file on
> the CD-ROM.  With this, I found that some CD-ROM readers did indead
> have checksum errors on some of the files, but not all.  Other
> CD-ROM drives read the disks no problem.

> I have Win3.1 and Win95 on my machine with the 4020i.  When I burn
> CD-ROMs under Win3.1, I do not have this problem.  This makes no
> sense to me, but there it is.

> We purchased CDR Publisher a couple weeks ago, and now use this to
> burn CD-ROMs under Win95.  I am having no checksum errors with this.

> Joel

HP SureStore 4020i & reading burned disks

Post by Tony Clix » Sun, 06 Oct 1996 04:00:00

My problem exactly.

HP say you need firmware 1.27

Tony

--

Tony Clixby - Bebington - Wirral - UK

http://www.clixby.demon.co.uk

HP SureStore 4020i & reading burned disks

Post by Tony Clix » Sun, 06 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I have exactly the same problem.

My 4020i is one week old.

I have written 4 useless disks.

Tony Clixby

http://www.veryComputer.com/

HP SureStore 4020i & reading burned disks

Post by Jan Roar Ro » Mon, 07 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hello:

I had the same problem.

My solution:  Ditch the Advanced Sys SCSI card.  Use  a card from
Adaptec..  I changed to AHA 1542 CF.  Work perfectly.

I have 1.25 firmware.

It's a card problem, not firmware problem

Jan Roar

>My problem exactly.
>HP say you need firmware 1.27
>Tony

>>Hello everyone,

>>I have a very strange problem with my new CD-writer HP 4020i.

>>If I write a disk everything goes perfect. The software (I use Easy CD
>>Pro for Windows 95) replies that my disk is succesfully written.

>>Now if I try to read the disk in the writer or in an IDE cd-rom drive,
>>I can only read the contents of it. I can only read the directory and
>>the sub-dirs. If I try to run an executable of the CD I get an error.

>>The errors are from different kinds of types. So I only can read the
>>contents, but cannot run the DOS applications which are on the disk.

>>Is there anyone who can tell me what's wrong ??

>>(is there maybe a hardware problem with the writer ???)

>>some more info : I use a pentium 133 with 32megs ram, windows 95, easy
>>cd pro for win 95 and the  scsi controller that came with the writer.

>>all info is very much appreciated.

>>thnx and

>>bibi

>--
>Tony Clixby - Bebington - Wirral - UK

>http://www.clixby.demon.co.uk

HP SureStore 4020i & reading burned disks

Post by Tony Clix » Mon, 07 Oct 1996 04:00:00

My problem exactly.

HP say you need firmware 1.27

Tony

--

Tony Clixby - Bebington - Wirral - UK

http://www.clixby.demon.co.uk

HP SureStore 4020i & reading burned disks

Post by Tony Clix » Mon, 07 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I noticed your email message in one of the CDR newsgroups and thought you might be interested in my problems with my new (10 days old) Hewlett Packard 4020i cd writer.

I have:
Pentium 120
32mb RAM
Windows95
The SCSI card that came with the 4020i
Firmware 1.25

The hardware installed OK
The software installed OK too apart from Easy CD Pro 95 which kept throwing up messages of FILE NOT FOUND although I did get it going eventually.

I can burn CDs with no error messages. The program says SUCCESSFULLY WRITTEN etc
I first backed up data from my hard disk. Mainly ZIP files. Most are OK but some on the CD I made now have bad CRCs.
The Ami Pro docs I backed up later to the same multi session disk also seem OK.

But as far as EXE files go, forget it. They just don't run because they have been corrupted - although their associates ASCII readme type files are readable.

I have ruined 3 CDs so far.

I got onto HP and they said I need firmware upgrade 1.27 which they would post to me. I have not received it yet.
I have a friend with the same setup as me - his CDR is a few months old.
his system flies and he has no problems - he is using firmware 1.25.

Then my son said I appeared to be trying to copy a faulty original CD. I tried the original and sure enough, some of the programs would not run. So I tried the original on his machine and it was OK.

This leads me to believe that HP have sent out recently units with faulty or incompatible SCSI cards.

Please let me know if you can help solve my problems.

Thanks

Tony Clixby

--

> [...]

>hp cdrecorder writes all files in ascii-mode in stead of binary mode to
>the cdr. I also tried a win-application and here the setup program
>started but it crashed one minute after the start.

>Here is my hardware : pentium 120, 32 MB EDO RAM, 4.3 Gb, Win95,
>Easy cd 95, same scsi controller as you.

>Now Gert, I want to ask you something. I see you are also connected to
>innet
>Belgium. I wonder where you bought your writer. I live in Antwerp and I
>bought mine in this store : Microman Boomses*weg 48, 2630 Aartselaar.
>If you did buy it there then it is possible that microman bought a whole
>shipment
>of defect cdwriters.

>Anyway tomorrow Monday 30/9/96 I am calling HP Belgium : 02/778 38 00

>Any Information from people who can help me : mail me at

1. HP 4020i burns OK but reads only factoy CDs, no CDRs (regardless where burnt)

a friend of mine has abovementioned problem
the drive LED even stops flashing when a non-empty CDR is inserted
no change even after successfully upgrading firmware to 1.27
any help would be appreciated, thanks

* (remove *nospam* before sending mail!)
* Marc W., Salzburg, Austria
* http://members.ping.at/mawit/
* Cult Movies, Horror, SF, Video, Satellite TV, TV (X-Files, Simpsons...);
* PC: Sound, DTVideo, Entertainment; Music: Alternative, Wave, Progressive
* --- PGP public key available & recommended ---

2. WATCOM C++ SOM DLLS Kill WARP Desktop!!!

3. Adaptec AHA2940UW & HP Surestore 4020i - please -

4. I just noticed something...

5. Reading Cds/HP Surestore 6020i & Wearnes CDD-620

6. Why does VS.NET *insist* on building Web Apps and Services in wwwroot?

7. Bad CD recorders from HP & PHILIPS (CDD2000 & HP 4020i)

8. Connecting PowerBook 140 to Supra FAXModem

9. bad CD recorders from HP & PHILIPS (HP 4020i & CDD2000)

10. help!:HP 4020i doesn't want to read cds that were burned by itself

11. HP 4020i no longer reads discs...

12. AUCTION: Hewlett Packard SureStore CD-Writer 4020i 2x write 4x read