External CD-ROM drive - Parallel vs. PCMCIA

External CD-ROM drive - Parallel vs. PCMCIA

Post by Daniel Solomo » Sun, 20 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I am considering purchasing an external CD-ROM drive.  I am trying to
decide if I should get a parallel drive or a PCMCIA one.  Can anyone
tell me the advantages or disadvantages of one over the other?  Some of
the things I am interested in seeing comparisons:

1.  Speed (How would a typical 4X ECP/EPP drive compare to a 4X PCMCIA?)
2.  Size
3.  Power requirements (Do PCMCIA drives not require an external
adaptor?)
--

                           http://www.pyrotechnics.com/~dsolomon//------------------------------...
|           "No amount of planning will ever replace dumb
luck"            |
"At that moment, an event--or is 'event' the word for it?--takes place
which
 cannot be described, and hence no attempt will be made to describe it."

Post by David Gillie » Sun, 20 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I am considering purchasing an external CD-ROM drive.  I am trying to
> decide if I should get a parallel drive or a PCMCIA one.  Can anyone
> tell me the advantages or disadvantages of one over the other?  Some of
> the things I am interested in seeing comparisons:

> 1.  Speed (How would a typical 4X ECP/EPP drive compare to a 4X PCMCIA?)

        ECP/EPP: From experience, I've found that these are too slow, and
aren't worth the effort.
                 You'll basically never get true 4x with these CD-ROM's
        PCMCIA: Still, again restriced by the bus that they are using, PCMCIA
CD-ROM's get closer
                to their adverstised speed. Without a doubt the faster of the two

Quote:> 2.  Size

        No difference between the two, except that the parallel port CD-ROM's
usually have a chunky adapter and the PCMCIA one has the smaller type II
PCMCIA card.

Quote:> 3.  Power requirements (Do PCMCIA drives not require an external
> adaptor?)

        Both require power, I think... don't quote me on that one, I could be
wrong.

IMHO, PCMCIA CD-ROM's win hand's up. I dealt with problems and
installations of both types, and the least painful CD-ROM is the PCMCIA
CD-ROM.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
David Gillies
Tech Support
Commercial Solutions Pty Ltd

1. external Parallel/PCMCIA CD rom

Good News! Parallel/PCMCIA External Harddrive(2GB to 8GB)& CD subsystem
for sale!! Brand new with Manufacturer warranty.
If you have PC, you need to try this new products!
No more disk space problems...External Parallel port Hard drive
subsystem available! Just plug into parallel port or PCMCIA port and
run...no interface card needed, can be daisy chain too!
2GB to 8GB Harddrive available! Top line design, you can
bring this light weight 8GB to anyplace. Popular products,
for spce check http://www.netgazer.net/users/microlink
call or email for price quote

Microlink Technology:Computer Hi-tech Solutions
Tel:(972)864-8711 Fax:(972)864-8383

2. Clarification on Pipes [ was Re: [ace-users] Re: Need some help with ACE_Pipe.]

3. External Parallel port and PCMCIA CD Writers

4. BlizzardPPC and HyperCOM1 conflict?

5. Win95 driver for an IBM external PCMCIA CD-ROM drive

6. Simple Workbench Question

7. How does PCMCIA and SCSI work w/ an external CD-ROM drive?

8. random numbers

9. Is there such a thing as an external parallel-port CD-ROM drive?

10. Portable CD-ROM - buying advice needed - parallel or PCMCIA etc?

11. Parallel Port Cdrom drive vs SCSI Cdrom Drive.

12. Cheap PCMCIA notebook (external) CD drives ???

13. Looking for recommendation on PCMCIA external CD-ROM