Best price for 4Plex?

Post by Paul R. Perde » Sun, 27 Nov 1994 08:22:50

Hello all!

        I was wondering if y'all could help me find a price.  I called PC
Connection, which is my usual favorite mail order place, and was dismayed
to find out that they don't carry the Plextor 4Plex quad speed cdrom
drive (they hadn't even heard of it!).  Having not dealt with many other
mail order places (besides Tiger and PC Zone), and not one to go to the
Lowest-Price-Fly-By-Night mail order company, I was looking for
suggestions for someplace else to go to get this drive.  I settled on the
Plextor drive over the NEC 4Xi when I read that the 1MB buffer and better
SCSI card surpassed the NEC and approached the 'benchmark' for quad
speeds at a similar price.  If anyone has experiences with either of
these drives (or a different quad-speed drive) please feel free to email
your thought/suggestions/warnings/etc to me.  I would really appreciate
them.  ALso, does anyone know the exact SCSI controller that ships with
the Plextor?  I know it is a Future Domain, but not sure of the model.  I
know that the 'kit' which includes the card is only $50 more than the
'bare' drive, and was wondering if this card is any good or if I should
invest in a better controller (Adaptec 1542VLB) for this.  I'm using an
old Future Domain card now for my newly aquired SCSI hard drive, but it
is only an 8-bit card, so I'm not real impressed.  I was gonna get
another one, and was wondering if the one that comes with the Plextor
would be good enough.  One more question - is there a problem with
playing audio cd's on a quad speed?

                                thanks for any and all responses!

                                                Paul

--
"Aren't you funny.  If you have nothing constructive to add, shut your
pompous mouth you spoiled Long Island punk."

Best price for 4Plex?

Post by Jeffrey Lei » Thu, 01 Dec 1994 10:52:55

PR>Hello all!
PR>
PR>  I was wondering if y'all could help me find a price.  I called PC
PR>Connection, which is my usual favorite mail order place, and was dismayed
PR>to find out that they don't carry the Plextor 4Plex quad speed cdrom
PR>drive (they hadn't even heard of it!).  Having not dealt with many other
PR>mail order places (besides Tiger and PC Zone), and not one to go to the
PR>Lowest-Price-Fly-By-Night mail order company, I was looking for
PR>suggestions for someplace else to go to get this drive.  I settled on the
PR>Plextor drive over the NEC 4Xi when I read that the 1MB buffer and better
PR>SCSI card surpassed the NEC and approached the 'benchmark' for quad
PR>speeds at a similar price.  If anyone has experiences with either of
PR>these drives (or a different quad-speed drive) please feel free to email
PR>your thought/suggestions/warnings/etc to me.  I would really appreciate
PR>them.  ALso, does anyone know the exact SCSI controller that ships with
PR>the Plextor?  I know it is a Future Domain, but not sure of the model.  I
PR>know that the 'kit' which includes the card is only $50 more than the
PR>'bare' drive, and was wondering if this card is any good or if I should
PR>invest in a better controller (Adaptec 1542VLB) for this.  I'm using an
PR>old Future Domain card now for my newly aquired SCSI hard drive, but it
PR>is only an 8-bit card, so I'm not real impressed.  I was gonna get
PR>another one, and was wondering if the one that comes with the Plextor
PR>would be good enough.  One more question - is there a problem with
PR>playing audio cd's on a quad speed?
PR>
PR>                          thanks for any and all responses!
PR>
PR>                                          Paul

    I have had this drive for about 2 weeks. I have played audio cd's in
it without a problem, sounds just like a regular cd-player. I don't use
the SCSI card that came with it, I already have an Adaptec 2940 card.
---
* UniQWK v3.3a* The Windows Mail Reader

--

                        I       Tomorrow we enter the town of my birth.
                        I       I want to be ready. - Jim Morrison

1. external 4Plex price at Egghead

Does anyone know external 4Plex's price at Egghead software?
Yesterday I asked this at Vancouver Egghead and was quoted Cdn$970,
so maybe US$689, perhaps? Egghead guy said it's available already.

I can get NEC's 4X for US$680 and I have to make a decision whether
to get Plextor or NEC really soon. I'll appreciate your input.

--
Katsumi Inoue           Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
        "The real world is not some leftist music video."

2. how to convert text-representation of attachments?

3. Good Price for 4Plex 1meg???

4. Ericsson GH 388

5. Best prices on cd? best berands?

6. QoS, Priority routing

7. Best prices on blanks cd's/ best brands?

8. Texel/Plextor 4Plex Specs (FYI) - 4plex.spe [1/1]

9. What is best 4plex /SCSI or Sound Card combination?

10. Best Price for TDK VeloCD Burner?

11. New Cd burner best price?

12. Best mid priced IDE CDRW drive