CDROM not detected in DOS mode

Post by Macc » Fri, 09 Feb 1996 04:00:00

hi guys...

I've got a 6speed Creative lab IDE CDrom and 'im quite happy with it but
i've got one problem that prevents me of using pre-win95 programs. The
CD-rom is detected by Win95 without any problem but when I reboot to get
into DOS mode, it is not! All the drivers are correctely installed and
properly configured but it 's like the f....... driver ain't even present
inside the computer! all it tells me is : "No drives found" which comes
just after the message of initialization of the CD-rom drivers....And of
course, in the absence of any detected CD-rom, it aborts the drive
initialization, which prevents me of using any DOS CD-rom since I can;t
access the drive in that mode!

HELP!! please....

Christophe

                The Beatles are the greatest band on Earth and in
                the History of Pop/Rock music and all the others
                are their descendants....

Post by Larry Youngbloo » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>hi guys...

>I've got a 6speed Creative lab IDE CDrom and 'im quite happy with it
but
>i've got one problem that prevents me of using pre-win95 programs. The
>CD-rom is detected by Win95 without any problem but when I reboot to
get
>into DOS mode, it is not! All the drivers are correctely installed and
>properly configured but it 's like the f....... driver ain't even
present
>inside the computer! all it tells me is : "No drives found" which
comes
>just after the message of initialization of the CD-rom drivers....And
of
>course, in the absence of any detected CD-rom, it aborts the drive
>initialization, which prevents me of using any DOS CD-rom since I
can;t
>access the drive in that mode!

>HELP!! please....

>Christophe

You have to edit your dosstart.bat file and enter the command lines to
enable the CD Rom to run in dos.

Post by David Stimso » Sun, 18 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>hi guys...

>I've got a 6speed Creative lab IDE CDrom and 'im quite happy with it but
>i've got one problem that prevents me of using pre-win95 programs. The
>CD-rom is detected by Win95 without any problem but when I reboot to get
>into DOS mode, it is not! All the drivers are correctely installed and
>properly configured but it 's like the f....... driver ain't even present
>inside the computer! all it tells me is : "No drives found" which comes
>just after the message of initialization of the CD-rom drivers....And of
>course, in the absence of any detected CD-rom, it aborts the drive
>initialization, which prevents me of using any DOS CD-rom since I can;t
>access the drive in that mode!

>HELP!! please....

I know exactly what you're going through.  I just went through it the past
couple days.  You need the DOS drivers for the CDROM (not the ones used
by windows'95).  You'll have to add a device statement in the config.sys
and also a line in the autoexec.bat loading the mscdex.exe program.

I don't have the details with me since I'm posting this from work, and
am on a Unix box at the moment, but I'm sure someone else can help you in
greater detail.

You'll probably want to make a special floppy boot disk for when you want
to play DOS CD's so you don't drag down win'95 with the DOS drivers.

I'm not sure about your system, but I had to also fix up for getting my
sound card and mouse to work in DOS mode too.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

David Stimson                 3 out of 4 people make up
                              75% of the population

CDROM not detected in DOS mode

Post by mark perciva » Mon, 26 Feb 1996 04:00:00

hey chris -
to your problem -

Win 95 does not load mscdex on startup - i have problems
where the name (see below)
in dosstart.bat - (in windows directory) there should be a
line loading mscdex.exe and refering to a device name. Is
this name the same in config.sys when loading the driver.
as it should be ?
hope this help
mark

Post by Pedro Ruiz-Garc » Sun, 28 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>>hi guys...

>>I've got a 6speed Creative lab IDE CDrom and 'im quite happy with it
>but
>>i've got one problem that prevents me of using pre-win95 programs. The
>>CD-rom is detected by Win95 without any problem but when I reboot to
>get
>>into DOS mode, it is not! All the drivers are correctely installed and
>>properly configured but it 's like the f....... driver ain't even
>present
>>inside the computer! all it tells me is : "No drives found" which
>comes
>>just after the message of initialization of the CD-rom drivers....And
>of
>>course, in the absence of any detected CD-rom, it aborts the drive
>>initialization, which prevents me of using any DOS CD-rom since I
>can;t
>>access the drive in that mode!

>>HELP!! please....

>>Christophe

>You have to edit your dosstart.bat file and enter the command lines to
>enable the CD Rom to run in dos.

Christ:

there is a pif file in your windows directory called "exit to dos"
right click on it and select properties, select "program", select
"advance" and then select "specify new ms-dos configuration" and
customize the autoexe.cat and config.sys the way you want it. this is
what is used when you restart in msdos mode.
It works for me.

Pedro

1. my exp. TOSHIBAx4 ins.& Q: PIO mode?

My install experience and question about PIO mode.
I just finished installing a Toshiba quad speed. this is my experience.
first I upgraded to dos6.22 and wfw3.11 to have a current mscdex (thank heavens
this hog goes dll in win95). I have a 486-2x66 PCI/VLB mb with 2 built in
(E?)IDE controller (up to 4 drives) internally on the PCI bus.
Only have a single Quantum 540 hd (IDE).
Due to the cabling limitations I wanted to put the cdrom on the second IDE line
by itself (almost impossible to mount the 5.25 cdrom close enough to the hd to
get the cable hooked to both - BTW does anyone make longer IDE cables?).
I assumed I would need to jumper the cdrom as master (on the second ide chain)
and specify it in the AMI(win-CMOS). Whenever I put the drive into the CMOS I
would get an HD-FAIL message on boot.

Tried without the cd in CMOS setup, drivers and mscdex install and work OK.
Also tried it on the same chain as the HD, works OK apparently REGARDLESS of
whether it is jumpered as master or slave (is this for 2 cd's?) on the primary
or the secondary IDE, without being specified in CMOS, and without the HD being
jumpered as master-with-slave-present. I always get the message PIO mode from
the driver.

My conclusion. Presumably the ATAPI spec accesses the drive differently on the
IDE bus to the regular hd's (why it isn't in CMOS).
QUESTION:
I always get the PIO mode message from the driver, from my experience,
Programmed IO mode is not very efficient in terms of throughput/cpu usage
(dma/shared mem would be much better). ANyone have any commments and what
affects PIO  mode and if it can be eliminated????

thanks
--

  ,___
    o/   |> .....mind if I play through?
    >\   |

2. IEE Proceedings style file

3. CD ROM not detected in DOS

4. Help!

5. CD-Rom Drive not detected in DOS

6. SNMP Tftp Config

7. CD ROM not recognised when in dos mode

8. strange mile value in parens 1.1

9. Can't load Autocad / Toshiba CD Drive not found in DOS mode HELP PLEASE

10. Aztech 6X drive not recognized in Win 95 MS DOS mode

11. CD ROM not recognised when in dos mode

12. cdroms not detected: will clear cmos find them again?

13. ABIT BH-6 Not Recognizing CDROM on Auto Detect