Older CD Rom, PLEASE Help :(

Post by Eric Colle » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

    I hope this is the right place to ask if no one minds. I'm desperately
trying to get an older Packard bell computer with a cd Rom to work. A short
story:

    The computer's cd-Rom is the kind that has to go to a controller slot on
the back of the sound card. The CD Rom model number is CR-563-B, made by
Matsushi? The original sound card was a 14.4 modem/ sound card in one. By a
chance of luck we were able to find an exact same Packard bell sound card,
without the modem, so we can use a better modem. It has the exact same IDE
controller plugs on the back as the old soundcard/modem. We've set the
jumper settings on the newer sound card to match the exact as the old one.
The sound portion works great, however neither Windows 95 or DOS see the CD
Rom anymore. As a test I hooked up the old card back to see and it STILL
doesn't work. The only thing I can figure is I know I changed jumper
settings on the CD Rom sometime during all this mess. I have searched
everywhere on the net and have tried for literally hours to get this thing
to work again. The drive will open and close and make noise like it's
reading, but the computer refuses to see it. That's more than it does when
the IDE cable is not plugged into the sound card. Does anyone have a clue as
to why, or even better, what the jumper settings on this old CD Rom are
supposed to be? All they are labeled is 1,2,3,4. I've tried every
combination. I know its still good because it worked fine. If all else
fails, we can try buying a new CD Rom but I hate to do that because this
thing is not that new and I don't want to invest anymore money in it. Also,
it wouldn't be able to keep up with 50X + spins out there. Does anyone have
ANY ideas, please? :) Thanks

Eric

Older CD Rom, PLEASE Help :(

Post by Jeff » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Eric,
    You can purchase a new 40x CD ROM drive pretty cheap. Like around 30
bucks. The drive you are fooling with at best deserves a proper burial. it
just isn't worth fooling with.

                                Jeff

Quote:> Hi all,

>     I hope this is the right place to ask if no one minds. I'm desperately
> trying to get an older Packard bell computer with a cd Rom to work. A
short
> story:

>     The computer's cd-Rom is the kind that has to go to a controller slot
on
> the back of the sound card. The CD Rom model number is CR-563-B, made by
> Matsushi? The original sound card was a 14.4 modem/ sound card in one. By
> chance of luck we were able to find an exact same Packard bell sound card,
> without the modem, so we can use a better modem. It has the exact same IDE
> controller plugs on the back as the old soundcard/modem. We've set the
> jumper settings on the newer sound card to match the exact as the old one.
> The sound portion works great, however neither Windows 95 or DOS see the
CD
> Rom anymore. As a test I hooked up the old card back to see and it STILL
> doesn't work. The only thing I can figure is I know I changed jumper
> settings on the CD Rom sometime during all this mess. I have searched
> everywhere on the net and have tried for literally hours to get this thing
> to work again. The drive will open and close and make noise like it's
> reading, but the computer refuses to see it. That's more than it does when
> the IDE cable is not plugged into the sound card. Does anyone have a clue
as
> to why, or even better, what the jumper settings on this old CD Rom are
> supposed to be? All they are labeled is 1,2,3,4. I've tried every
> combination. I know its still good because it worked fine. If all else
> fails, we can try buying a new CD Rom but I hate to do that because this
> thing is not that new and I don't want to invest anymore money in it.
Also,
> it wouldn't be able to keep up with 50X + spins out there. Does anyone
have
> ANY ideas, please? :) Thanks

> Eric

Older CD Rom, PLEASE Help :(

Post by James Perret » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>     The computer's cd-Rom is the kind that has to go to a controller slot on
> the back of the sound card. The CD Rom model number is CR-563-B, made by
> Matsushi? The original sound card was a 14.4 modem/ sound card in one. By a
> chance of luck we were able to find an exact same Packard bell sound card,
> without the modem, so we can use a better modem. It has the exact same IDE
> controller plugs on the back as the old soundcard/modem. We've set the
> jumper settings on the newer sound card to match the exact as the old one.
> The sound portion works great, however neither Windows 95 or DOS see the CD
> Rom anymore. As a test I hooked up the old card back to see and it STILL
> doesn't work. The only thing I can figure is I know I changed jumper
> settings on the CD Rom sometime during all this mess. I have searched
> everywhere on the net and have tried for literally hours to get this thing
> to work again. The drive will open and close and make noise like it's
> reading, but the computer refuses to see it. That's more than it does when
> the IDE cable is not plugged into the sound card. Does anyone have a clue as
> to why, or even better, what the jumper settings on this old CD Rom are
> supposed to be? All they are labeled is 1,2,3,4.

It isn't IDE - it's a proprietrary Panasonic interface. You need to find
an original Soundblaster 16 or similar with a built in Panasonic
interface or, if you are very lucky, a dedicated card. Other
manufacturers like Mitsui had different standards so make sure that you
have the right type of card.

James.

*  James Perrett    Ocean Technology Division                        *
*                   Southampton Oceanography Centre,                 *
*                   Empress Dock, Southampton SO14 3ZH, U.K.         *
*           Phone +44 (0)2380 596141, Fax +44 (0)2380 596149         *

Older CD Rom, PLEASE Help :(

Post by George Crupp » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

You have to make sure that the dos drivers are loaded correctly. And a
reference to the soundcard address has to be made for the cdrom to be found.
Neither dos nor windows will detect the cdrom on a soundcard connection
without the address specified. Go to a Packard Bell site and see if anybody
has the info you need. Just type Packard Bell in your search box.

Quote:> Hi all,

>     I hope this is the right place to ask if no one minds. I'm desperately
> trying to get an older Packard bell computer with a cd Rom to work. A
short
> story:

>     The computer's cd-Rom is the kind that has to go to a controller slot
on
> the back of the sound card. The CD Rom model number is CR-563-B, made by
> Matsushi? The original sound card was a 14.4 modem/ sound card in one. By
> chance of luck we were able to find an exact same Packard bell sound card,
> without the modem, so we can use a better modem. It has the exact same IDE
> controller plugs on the back as the old soundcard/modem. We've set the
> jumper settings on the newer sound card to match the exact as the old one.
> The sound portion works great, however neither Windows 95 or DOS see the
CD
> Rom anymore. As a test I hooked up the old card back to see and it STILL
> doesn't work. The only thing I can figure is I know I changed jumper
> settings on the CD Rom sometime during all this mess. I have searched
> everywhere on the net and have tried for literally hours to get this thing
> to work again. The drive will open and close and make noise like it's
> reading, but the computer refuses to see it. That's more than it does when
> the IDE cable is not plugged into the sound card. Does anyone have a clue
as
> to why, or even better, what the jumper settings on this old CD Rom are
> supposed to be? All they are labeled is 1,2,3,4. I've tried every
> combination. I know its still good because it worked fine. If all else
> fails, we can try buying a new CD Rom but I hate to do that because this
> thing is not that new and I don't want to invest anymore money in it.
Also,
> it wouldn't be able to keep up with 50X + spins out there. Does anyone
have
> ANY ideas, please? :) Thanks

> Eric

1. Going BEZERK :( LITE-ON CDROM TROUBLES, PLEASE HELP!

First of all, this is the hard- and software i use:

ABIT 430 TX5 mainboard
LITE-ON CDROM  LTN301  (32-speed max)
Diamond Viper 330 videocard
64MB ram (4x 16mb simm)
Windows '98
(problem also occured under W95 R2)

On the 1st. IDE channel i got 2 Seagate Medalist UDMA drives (1 master, 1
slave)
On the 2nd. IDE channel i got the UDMA CDROM assigned as slave
(also tried as master, but gives same problem)

Before i got this darn Lite-On cdrom, i used a Toshiba XM-5702B drive (12
speed) which worked just fine with above configuration!

And now for the problem that's driving me BEZERK :(((

I just can't figure out what the heck is wrong, but this is what happens:

When i put off my system, the next time i put it on again, the mainboard
doesn't recognize my cdrom drive anymore! When it scans the 2nd. IDE
channel, it finds NOTHING!  The only way to fix the problem is when I
DISCONNECT the cdrom drive from the power- supply and then RECONNECT it
again (doing this ofcourse with the power OFF)
Now is this weird or what?  First I thought i got a faulty cdrom drive, so i
went back to the store and got me another one. But the same thing happens
over and over again.  Oh, btw, it also happens when i get a system
freeze....... when i reboot after that, the cdrom drive isn't recognized at
all any longer......

IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO CAN HELP ME OUT BEFORE I THROW THE WHOLE
SYSTEM OUT OF THE WINDOW?

Many thanks in advance!!

Crewcut

2. Bootblock: How to copy to File?

3. Help, please... :(

4. crash netmeeting windows nt 4.0 sp5

5. HELP ME PLEASE :(

6. Sharing A Modem In Win98???

7. Help: Problems reading CD-Rs on older CD-ROM drives

8. Lotus Virus?

9. HELP WANTED: Win95 driver for older Mitsumi single-speed CD-ROM drive+controller

10. Help with older Sony CD-ROM

11. help! Older IBM(ide)cd-rom install problems!

12. Driver Needed for NEC CDR260 CD-Rom (older one), NEC no help at all

13. :( please help. My 486 can't find my A drive anymore :(