Smart 100X CD-ROM

Post by Joh » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone used the Smart 100X CD-ROM....

We have had these in our store for a couple of months now and are
hearing glowing reviews.  Just put one in my personal system this week
and notice a tremendous difference.

I want to know if there are any long term users and have they
experienced any quirks..

thanks,

John
www.alpinecpu.com
"We'll Meet Or Beat Any Legitimate Price"

Smart 100X CD-ROM

Post by John Turc » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Has anyone used the Smart 100X CD-ROM....

> We have had these in our store for a couple of months now and are
> hearing glowing reviews.  Just put one in my personal system this week
> and notice a tremendous difference.

> I want to know if there are any long term users and have they
> experienced any quirks..

> thanks,

> John
> www.alpinecpu.com
> "We'll Meet Or Beat Any Legitimate Price"

Hello,

Well, I'm not a "long term user", myself; but from what I've read on the
subject, these so-called "100x" CD-ROM drives rely on software-based
caching tricks in order to achieve their fantastic "speeds". Thus, they
aren't actually hardware-capable in this respect.

(No, not even close, for that matter)!

Cordially,

Smart 100X CD-ROM

Post by Jeff Mal » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Has anyone used the Smart 100X CD-ROM....

Hounsetly, there is no reason to use a CD that's any faster than 6 or
8X, anything else is overkill.  The only thing they accellerate is
copying files, I.E. installing software, but most programs, while they
are being used, actually spin the CD down to 4X, or even 2X.
Seriously, pop in a game sometime and put your ear next to the CD-
first copy a large file from the CD to the HD, then actually run the
program- you can hear the drive spinning way down.

Don't waste your money on these 24X, 32X, or 100X cd... instead, look
for a drive with an extremely low access time, or spend your money on
a drive with other cool stuff, like a CD jukebox or slot-loader.

-Been using 4x or less for years, never a problem.

Smart 100X CD-ROM

Post by Mar » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

That's kind of misleading.  There's a huge difference between a 4x and
a 24x drive.  I went from a 4x Creative Labs drive to a 24x Teac.  If
you're trying to tell me NHL98 Hockey runs just as well on that 4x,
well....  yer wrong.  It does a lot more than just copy speeds well.
And I'd love to see what 4x, 6x or even 8x has a 95 ms access time
like my 24x.  Doesn't how fast it spin make it faster finding files?

Mark

Post by John Turc » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> That's kind of misleading.  There's a huge difference between a 4x and
> a 24x drive.  I went from a 4x Creative Labs drive to a 24x Teac.  If
> you're trying to tell me NHL98 Hockey runs just as well on that 4x,
> well....  yer wrong.  It does a lot more than just copy speeds well.
> And I'd love to see what 4x, 6x or even 8x has a 95 ms access time
> like my 24x.  Doesn't how fast it spin make it faster finding files?

> Mark

> >>Has anyone used the Smart 100X CD-ROM....

> >Hounsetly, there is no reason to use a CD that's any faster than 6 or
> >8X, anything else is overkill.  The only thing they accellerate is
> >copying files, I.E. installing software, but most programs, while they
> >are being used, actually spin the CD down to 4X, or even 2X.
> >Seriously, pop in a game sometime and put your ear next to the CD-
> >first copy a large file from the CD to the HD, then actually run the
> >program- you can hear the drive spinning way down.

> >Don't waste your money on these 24X, 32X, or 100X cd... instead, look
> >for a drive with an extremely low access time, or spend your money on
> >a drive with other cool stuff, like a CD jukebox or slot-loader.

> >-Been using 4x or less for years, never a problem.

Hello,

Both of you seem to be overlooking a basic point concerning this issue:
There are a number of contemporary software caching programs readily
available which can increase the speed of most any CD-ROM drive. Of
course, they may vary widely according to their respective
effectiveness, but nonetheless I know from personal experience that
they're not just the stuff of pure marketing hype.

For instance, one such application (whose name escapes me at the moment)
noticeably improved the performance of the Creative 4x drive in my
then-resource-starved 486 scrapper a couple of years ago, when I used it
prior to making major hardware upgrades to the PC.

Hence, although the "100X CD-ROM" mentioned in the subject title of this
thread remains a mythical beast (in hardware, at least), software
cunningness is a comparatively cheap method of attaining (some) speed
dividends.

Cordially,

Smart 100X CD-ROM

Post by Icepic!/TRS » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >Has anyone used the Smart 100X CD-ROM....

I have serious doubts as to the existance of this device.  100 x 4.3218 Mhz
is 432.18 Mhz clock speed to process the bitstream being read from the
head.  Forget it.

Quote:> Hounsetly, there is no reason to use a CD that's any faster than 6 or
> 8X, anything else is overkill.  The only thing they accellerate is

No, there is reason.  Try reading consecutive data (stream) and timing it.
Ie:  DAE is a good reason.

Quote:> copying files, I.E. installing software, but most programs, while they
> are being used, actually spin the CD down to 4X, or even 2X.
> Seriously, pop in a game sometime and put your ear next to the CD-
> first copy a large file from the CD to the HD, then actually run the
> program- you can hear the drive spinning way down.

That spin down is usually associated with most current drives switching
between CLV/CAV mode.  Keep in mind that they don't promise you 32x, they
promise you 32x as the BEST transfer rate (ie: The outside of the disc).
Drives like the Plextors are advertised as 12-20 or 14-32, because thats
the speed range the drive can sustain (providing the surface and BLER rate
is below the required threshold to re-seek/re-read).

Quote:> Don't waste your money on these 24X, 32X, or 100X cd... instead, look
> for a drive with an extremely low access time, or spend your money on
> a drive with other cool stuff, like a CD jukebox or slot-loader.

I agree wholeheartedly with the reliability factor, but there most
definately is a speed issue to be examined.  Just ensure that the drive is
designed well.

Quote:> -Been using 4x or less for years, never a problem.

...and I've had over 100 different CD and DVD variants - with 1000's of
associated problems.  :)

Mario.

Smart 100X CD-ROM

Post by Mr Ca » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have serious doubts as to the existance of this device.  100 x 4.3218 Mhz
>is 432.18 Mhz clock speed to process the bitstream being read from the
>head.  Forget it.

This so-called 100x drive is actually a normal ??x drive, but the
cd-rom driver use your harddisk space to store the whole cd, so next
time everything is read from the harddisk, that looks to be 100x.
You can get detail info from the manufacturer's homepage about how it
achieves 100x.

There should be some kind of similar software existed for any cd-rom
drive.

Smart 100X CD-ROM

Post by Nico Neuman » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>This so-called 100x drive is actually a normal ??x drive, but the
>cd-rom driver use your harddisk space to store the whole cd, so next
>time everything is read from the harddisk, that looks to be 100x.
>You can get detail info from the manufacturer's homepage about how it
>achieves 100x.

Thats 100% right and, keeping this in mind, the 100X really are bullshit. In
fact, the limiting factor is the speed of your harddisk. There should be
label on this drive saying: Take a look in your HDD manual for speed details
.. and this really sucks. And I really wonder why its LEGAL to put that 100X
on the box. Cause if someone hasnt enough hdd capacity for the caching, he
wont reach 100X or anything similar.

Nico /;