Generating NTSC video images using an IMSG300-based graphics tram

Generating NTSC video images using an IMSG300-based graphics tram

Post by Ram Meenakshisundar » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 04:19:00

Hi,

Does anyone know how to setup either the IMSB419, Transtech TTG-1,
Transtech TTG-3, Heimschedit graphics trams to display NTSC signals
instead of VGA signals?  Specifically, I want to be able to display at
least 640x480 resolutions using NTSC scanline rates....

Thanks,

Ram

Post by Derek Simmo » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 13:20:50

> Hi,

> Does anyone know how to setup either the IMSB419, Transtech TTG-1,
> Transtech TTG-3, Heimschedit graphics trams to display NTSC signals
> instead of VGA signals?  Specifically, I want to be able to display at
> least 640x480 resolutions using NTSC scanline rates....

> Thanks,

> Ram

Apples and oranges... The easiest way with the least amount of
headaches is to use something like a VideoLogic Mediator. If you
search on eBay you can find a couple of them for about $20 or less.
They are built like a brick so shipping is going to cost you another
$20.00. But you get a high end converter that is flexible enough to be
used for other things.

Derek

Post by Ram Meenakshisundar » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:07:14

> Apples and oranges... The easiest way with the least amount of
> headaches is to use something like a VideoLogic Mediator. If you
> search on eBay you can find a couple of them for about $20 or less.
> They are built like a brick so shipping is going to cost you another
> $20.00. But you get a high end converter that is flexible enough to be
> used for other things.

I was aware of the VGA to NTSC converters, but most VGA cards can
generate NTSC signals, its just that the drivers have problems setting
it up correctly.  One of the best video cards for this task is the
Matrox brand of cards.  They dont really have a VGA out port, just a
splitter that takes the VGA signal and converts it to NTSC.  Remember,
the VGA card has R, G, B, VS, and HS.  To convert, you just need R, G,
B, and CS and that is pretty easy.  The problem comes with the
scanrates and resolution.  But, if you have good video drivers and a
chipset that supports this, this is not a problem.
Take a look at the following link for more info on this:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

As for the *, apparently it is possible as I just talked to Dave
& Iann and they both confirmed that it is possible.  The graphics
databook also mentions this.  I will testing this out in the next
couple of weeks and posting the results on my webpage (with pictures)
for everyone to see.  BTW, you can also genlock two graphics trams as
well. Way too cool (stereo anyone, hehehe)..

Cheers,

Ram

Generating NTSC video images using an IMSG300-based graphics tram

Post by Derek Simmo » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:21:59

Quote:

> I was aware of the VGA to NTSC converters, but most VGA cards can
> generate NTSC signals, its just that the drivers have problems setting
> it up correctly.  One of the best video cards for this task is the
> Matrox brand of cards.  They dont really have a VGA out port, just a
> splitter that takes the VGA signal and converts it to NTSC.  Remember,
> the VGA card has R, G, B, VS, and HS.  To convert, you just need R, G,
> B, and CS and that is pretty easy.  The problem comes with the
> scanrates and resolution.  But, if you have good video drivers and a
> chipset that supports this, this is not a problem.
> Take a look at the following link for more info on this:

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> As for the *, apparently it is possible as I just talked to Dave
> & Iann and they both confirmed that it is possible.  The graphics
> databook also mentions this.  I will testing this out in the next
> couple of weeks and posting the results on my webpage (with pictures)
> for everyone to see.  BTW, you can also genlock two graphics trams as
> well. Way too cool (stereo anyone, hehehe)..

> Cheers,

> Ram

I don't remember running across it in the documentation but can the
G300 be programmed for NTSC? If not then you would still need a scan
converter to convert from RGB to NTSC (like the Motorola chip used in
the projects on referenced the web pages).

I wrote a display device driver for a Cirrus Logic display controller
for a set top box. So, I'm kind of familiar with what you are trying
to do. The target image size was 525 scan lines and it was 700
something pixels across (730 780). The obvious, if you go with a
smaller resolution the image is going to be softer and with more you
are going to waste processing time.

Do you have the data sheet for the target display you are using? I
remember you once telling me about hacking a LCD display to get a
higher resolution. Is that what you are using?

Post by Ram Meenakshisundar » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 06:19:55

> I don't remember running across it in the documentation but can the
> G300 be programmed for NTSC? If not then you would still need a scan
> converter to convert from RGB to NTSC (like the Motorola chip used in
> the projects on referenced the web pages).

> I wrote a display device driver for a Cirrus Logic display controller
> for a set top box. So, I'm kind of familiar with what you are trying
> to do. The target image size was 525 scan lines and it was 700
> something pixels across (730 ? 780). The obvious, if you go with a
> smaller resolution the image is going to be softer and with more you
> are going to waste processing time.

> Do you have the data sheet for the target display you are using? I
> remember you once telling me about hacking a LCD display to get a
> higher resolution. Is that what you are using?

The G300 can generate NTSC / PAL signals hence this is the key.  The
LCD display generates NTSC signals and NOT VGA signals, so another
plus.  In fact, the signals in the HMD takes R, G, B, and CS.  So, I
can hook it up directly to the * without a problem.  So, no
conversion or any other chip for that matter.  Yes, you are correct,
it is the hack I mentioned before.  Take a look at the graphics
databook for more info on this including master / slave modes and
genlocking the trams.

Sweeet,

Ram

1. Genlocking two graphics tram

Hi,

I have two graphics trams (G300-based) that I want to produce output
simultaneously for Stereo3D.  Is there anyway I can do this?  I know I
can send messages across to trigger both trams, but that doesnt help
as one image can be out-of-sync with the other.  I am hooking these
trams to a VFX1 stereo HMD via the CS, R, G, B connectors of each of
the tram, one for the left and one for the right. This is part of the
flight simulator setup I am currently working on...

Thanks,

Ram

2. Removal of Primary Key in Mysql

3. WANTED: Information on the Transtech TTG3 1280x1024 8-Bit Graphics TRAM

4. Indigo R4000 replacement disk manufactures

5. Looking for Graphics TRAM (IMS B419) or IMS G300 Resource

6. JoAnne Brackeen

7. Hemscheidt H441 Graphics TRAM

8. How do I install QNX to it's own partition

9. GRAPHICS TRAM!!!

10. INMOS Graphics Server - TTM11/TTM12 TRAMS