Parallel Image Coding Algorithms

Post by cnb.. » Fri, 25 Oct 1991 01:16:08

I am working in the area of parallel image coding algorithms.
I would like to compile a list of references on this area of work.
Please contribute generously to : (Books, Papers, Tech. Reports
Thesis, etc.)

I shall try to send the list of references to the contributors when it
is ready.

Thank You.

Yours sincerely
Jason Chong

1. PARALLEL ALGORITHMS FOR IMAGE HISTOGRAMMING AND CONNECTED COMPONENTS

ANNOUNCEMENT:

PARALLEL ALGORITHMS FOR IMAGE HISTOGRAMMING AND CONNECTED COMPONENTS
                    WITH AN EXPERIMENTAL STUDY

We have released our technical report entitled ``Parallel Algorithms
for Image Histogramming and Connected Components with an Experimental
Study,'' by David A. Bader and Joseph Ja'Ja'.  Technical Report
Number: CS-TR-3384 and UMIACS-TR-94-133.  Institute for Advanced
Computer Studies (UMIACS) and the Department of Electrical
Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, December 1994.

The paper is available in PostScript format via WWW:

http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~dbader

or via anonymous ftp to:

ftp.cs.umd.edu:/pub/papers/TRs/3384.ps.Z

If you prefer a hardcopy, please reply to this message and send me
your mailing address.

ABSTRACT:
This paper presents efficient and portable implementations of two
useful primitives in image processing algorithms, histogramming and
connected components.  Our general framework is a single-address
space, distributed memory programming model.  We use efficient
techniques for distributing and coalescing data as well as efficient
combinations of task and data parallelism.  Our connected components
algorithm uses a novel approach for parallel merging which performs
drastically limited updating during iterative steps, and concludes
with a total consistency update at the final step. The algorithms have
been coded in Split-C and run on a variety of platforms.  Our
experimental results are consistent with the theoretical analysis and
provide the best known execution times for these two primitives, even
when compared with machine specific implementations.  More efficient
implementations of Split-C will likely result in even faster execution
times.

---
David A. Bader
Electrical Engineering Department
A.V. Williams Building
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Office: 301-405-6755
FAX:    301-314-9658

WWW:      http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~dbader

2. Creative now ships NTI SW with its CD-RW

3. ANNOUNCEMENT: Parallel Algorithms for Image Enhancement and Segmentation

4. demande de logiciel ( about matlab 6)

5. Image Processing Source Code

6. Backup

7. Research Associate in Parallel/Image Processing (UK)

8. Samba and Win95 bug fix

9. Parallel Architectures for Image Processing

10. CFP: Parallel Image Proc., Video Proc., and Multimedia

11. Technical Meeting: Parallel Hardware for Signal and Image Processing

12. Wavelet-based Image Registration on Parallel Computers