Looking for a C++ to C translator

Post by Paulo Sergio Almei » Wed, 02 Jun 1993 07:21:49

Hi there

I am looking for a C++ to C translator. It either should be able
to generate code that doesn't depend on strange libraries,
or should come with the source (C) code of ALL libraries needed.

I have a Transputer based machine from Parsytec running PARIX,
and an ANSI C compiler. For example, I heard that some people had
problems using AT&T C-Front, related with the libraries.
(Could anybody confirm or deny?)

        Thanks in advance
        Sergio

Post by Timothy Lee Russe » Wed, 02 Jun 1993 13:45:04

>Subject: Looking for a C++ to C translator
>Date: 31 May 93 22:21:49 GMT
>Hi there

>I am looking for a C++ to C translator. It either should be able
>to generate code that doesn't depend on strange libraries,
>or should come with the source (C) code of ALL libraries needed.

>I have a Transputer based machine from Parsytec running PARIX,
>and an ANSI C compiler. For example, I heard that some people had
>problems using AT&T C-Front, related with the libraries.
>(Could anybody confirm or deny?)

>    Thanks in advance
>    Sergio

i think, no flames please, that on most compilers there is a
intermediate step where the C++ code is 'compiled' or 'translated'
into C code.  On my C++ compiler you can tell it not to delete the
intermediate file after it is done with its compiling sequence...

tim russell

Post by Jan Vorbruegg » Wed, 02 Jun 1993 23:49:40

Quote:(Timothy Lee Russell) writes:

   i think, no flames please, that on most compilers there is a
   intermediate step where the C++ code is 'compiled' or 'translated'
   into C code.

The Glockespiel compiler uses the AT&T preprocessor, but is way
out of date (version 2.1, I think). Most other compilers (eg, g++)
are integrated and don't produce C intermediate code.

   On my C++ compiler you can tell it not to delete the
   intermediate file after it is done with its compiling sequence...

Yes, but the code produced still depends on its run time library,
just as ordunary C code won't (usually) run without libc. If you use
statically created global objects, things get even more complicated,
as they have to be created by the RTL _before_ the main programme
takes control.

        Jan